Andrew Barclay 14" & 16" 0-4-0ST in OO Gauge

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

Yes well done Hattons . I think a Barclay 0-4-0 could well be ordered to supplement my Hornby Peckett. Is the SE&CR P class the same as a Terrier or is this a completely different loco? Edit Just seen on other thread it's a class of 8

Good video on Hattons strategy too . I suspect that the starvation of Hornby products a few years ago was the catalyst to doing their own commissions , along with the slow down of deliveries and price increases from Bachmann. After all to sell stuff you have to have it in stock first. Looks like Hattons decided to take the destiny of their business into their own hands . I do wonder if Hornby really shot themselves in the foot back then . Clearly they've got more competition now , as was referred to in their financial announcement . Shrewd move on Hattons part too . This way they've got the Big companies (Hornby /Bachmann)profit margin to play with as well as their own as retailers. Really well done. Nice to see a company move forward and take the initiative . another sign the model railway market is evolving.

Still not so good if you are an independent model shop though. The cash for these locos won't being going through their tills.

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

Hopefully one or both of the AB's at Ecclesbourne Valley Railway will feature in due course: Ferrybridge No.3 (14 inch) and Kilnhurst Tar Works "Henry Ellison," (16 inch.) "Henry Ellison" would make a particularly attractive model with it's open back cab, so all the cab detail could be on view. Attractive Caledonian Style blue livery as well!

Last roster for the season driving Henry Ellison at Wirksworth on Saturday 23rd September.

• Like 1

Will this burst the Peckett bubble or just create a Barclay one?

Mark Saunders

Well it will save me trying to get hold of a Peckett. Outstanding pre-order will be cancelled. "Katie" looks much more attractive. As I drive the two preserved AB's at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, which I also helped to restore, no competition really!

• Like 2

Delighted to see the production of the Andrew Barclay tank. Even if it is not as pretty as the Hornby Peckett, the prototype ran up to around a thousand examples produced over the years and with engines being passed around between different firms the scope for production is virtually limitless. As a good Scot how about one from a distillery? Nice examples ran at Balmenach and Dailuaine. In the meantime there will be an order going in for a couple of the announced range.

Clever, interesting and even inspired choice from Hattons to aim for and fill a gap thats been hugely popular now that Wishlist polls have included areas for Industrials to be included.

With this, the DJM model, and J94s the pool of engines is growing steadily.

Dare I ask for the large Victor/Vulcan tanks to be done? I love them for their sheer size.

I wonder also if the J94/ Austerity can be modified to have a version with the cylinders externally...

• RMweb Gold

I presume "Little Barford" worked at that location.  Plse does anyone know what livery she carried then?

The image below shows the livery that loco arrived to Acton Lane in.

post-28458-0-74343500-1505134771_thumb.jpg

It is presumed that it had the same livery whilst based at Little Barford as well but we have been unable to confirm it so far.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

My records, courtesy of the RCTS GWR locomotive series, gives the following Andrew Barclay 0-4-0T owned by the GWR:

Last GWR No      First No    2nd No Constituent # Wks No Final Type       Other Railway                Date Built             Built         Date to GWR     Date Withdrawn

928                       928                         14               1273       0-4-0T      Powlesland and Mason         Mar-12     Andrew Barclay       Jan-24                  Mar-27

1140                      701      1140             5                1045      0-4-0T       S.H.T.                                    Jan-05     Andrew Barclay        Jul-23                 May-58

I do not have the books at hand but I suspect that 705 is a faux GWR/BR(W) locomotive.  Is the proposed model correct for renumbering to GWR 701 given the proposed livery?

Best regards

Edited by MG 7305

• RMweb Gold

I have been trying to order but that part of the Hatton's site appears to be frozen up. Anybody else having problems?

We've not heard of any other issues. You're more than welcome to call and our Helpdesk staff will be happy to process your order over the phone if that helps.

Is the proposed model correct for renumbering to GWR 701 given the proposed livery?

Best regards

Due to the various modifications carried out by the GWR, it is not possible for us to produce 701 within our tooling suite.

With some conversion work including cab, cylinders and boiler fittings you could recreate 701.

Cheers,

Dave

My records, courtesy of the RCTS GWR locomotive series, gives the following Andrew Barclay 0-4-0T owned by the GWR:

Last GWR No      First No    2nd No Cons No Wks No Final Type       Other Railway                Date Built             Built         Date to GWR     Date Withdrawn 

928                       928                      14        1273       0-4-0T      Powlesland and Mason        Mar-12     Andrew Barclay       Jan-24                  Mar-27

1140                      701     1140           5         1045      0-4-0T       S.H.T.                                    Jan-05     Andrew Barclay        Jul-23                 May-58

I do not have the books at hand but I suspect that 705 is a faux GWR/BR(W) locomotive.  Is the proposed model correct for renumbering to GWR 701 given the proposed livery?

Best regards

As preserved on the East Somerset Railway I'm afraid.

http://www.eastsomersetrailway.com/stock.php?num=705

Jason

Is there likely to be enough space to fit P4 or EM wheelsets?

I'm also wondering what diameter axles have been specified?

I think there's a suitable driving wheel in the Alan Gibson range but I could well be mistaken

• RMweb Gold

Is there likely to be enough space to fit P4 or EM wheelsets?

I'm also wondering what diameter axles have been specified?

I think there's a suitable driving wheel in the Alan Gibson range but I could well be mistaken

Whilst I haven't been able to test if P4 or EM wheelsets would fit, we don't think it would be possible without some serious rebuilding of the valve gear.

The axle diameter is ~2.1mm

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave 

Edited by Hatton's Dave