SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Hello Edwardian,

I can now confirm that both the SECR lined versions (H4-P-001 & H4-P-002) will come pre-fitted with the SR-style buffers that they carry in preservation.

However, for those modelers looking to portray the locos in their original condition, we're also going to be supplying bottle buffers in the box for the customer to fit if they so wish.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I will second Edwardian in saying this is excellent news. One of my SECR green pair will be back dated SECR days and also be fitted with sound.

Just right to go with the H and C classes so dated and fitted.

Speaking of sound fitting, who supplied the chip and sound file for the one that was so fitted at Warley? And what speaker was used ? (And where was the speaker placed please?

rgds John

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

We are now expecting a split delivery between January and February.

We'll be able to confirm which versions will be in each delivery a little closer to the time.

We'll certainly be showing production samples on our website and via this thread when we receive them.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

@Hatton's Dave

Do you still have all eight available and are certain ones getting close to all being sold?

That’s a good question and I’d like to know the answer. Hatton’s has said that the intention is to keep them in stock but if the early deliveries sell out, there could be a delay before a new production run becomes available.

• RMweb Gold

I might be able to buy a second one with the split delivery.

@Hatton's Dave

Do you still have all eight available and are certain ones getting close to all being sold?

All 12 will remain available to pre-order right up to release and we've ensured there will be enough to satisfy all pre-orders as well as projected orders following on from that.

We don't expect to face a situation where all models are pre-sold before release but I'd recommend not holding off for too long if you're able to order the variants you're after.

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 2

Really looking forward to these. I don't model in OO gauge at all, but these little models look so superb (and actually in pre-grouping livery! Huzzah!) have really swayed me. A shame I can't find any pre-1919 SECR wagons available even in plastic kit form to run with them

Really looking forward to these. I don't model in OO gauge at all, but these little models look so superb (and actually in pre-grouping livery! Huzzah!) have really swayed me. A shame I can't find any pre-1919 SECR wagons available even in plastic kit form to run with them

Cambrian do SECR wagon kits. Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol have all done wagons in SECR livery.

You then have WWI war department tankers and Dapol KESR wagons too. And some Kent coal field wagon liveries. And Hornby also did a wagon in Chatham Dockyard colours....

In my case, I also added a couple of Medway Queen vans. These are fictitious but help the Medway Queen charity restore  the paddle steamer of the same name. The livery fits in ok and has a Kentish theme.

All told, in RTR alone, I have about 20 wagons that can just about run behind these, even if technically most are based on later types and there is no RTR break van.

Some of the Cambrian private owner wagons would be early enough, if not specifically SECR, and there is a 3D-printed model (unpainted) of an SECR 6-wheel brake van by Rue D'Etropal of this parish available from Shapeways here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/L6DEMGDN4/a-76-secr-6w-brakevan-1?optionId=63882627&li=marketplace. I think K's did a whitemetal SECR van kit that looks like it ought to be pre-1919 but I don't have the details to hand right now.

How many of the RTR wagons are actually models of SECR wagons, and how many are bog standard off the shelf products in SECR livery? A quick look at the Dapol produced K&ESR wagons suggests the similarity ends at the number of wheels and the number of planks in the body! To match the accuracy of the RTR rolling stock, Hattons could have commissioned Hornby to produce a batch of Terriers in SECR livery, and passed them off as Ps :jester:.

• RMweb Premium

A shame I can't find any pre-1919 SECR wagons available even in plastic kit form to run with them

Some of the Cambrian private owner wagons would be early enough, if not specifically SECR, and there is a 3D-printed model (unpainted) of an SECR 6-wheel brake van by Rue D'Etropal of this parish available from Shapeways here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/L6DEMGDN4/a-76-secr-6w-brakevan-1?optionId=63882627&li=marketplace. I think K's did a whitemetal SECR van kit that looks like it ought to be pre-1919 but I don't have the details to hand right now.

The SECR Cambrian wagons are 1919 onwards and not pre-1919 unfortunately but in these circumstances I always result to rule 1 ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

From what I saw, all the Cambrian kits were 1919 or later variants, and as mentioned I'm wary of off the shelf RTR wagons that are just printed a certain livery which isn't suitable. I'll certainly be acquiring the new Bachmann Ministry of Munitions tankers though and using kits of Edwardian or earlier era wagons from other lines, would be nice to have some Edwardian or earlier SECR/SER/LCDR to run though

The Cambrian wagons are 1919 onwards and not pre-1919 unfortunately but in these circumstances I always result to rule 1 ;)

Some of the Cambrian private owner wagons would be early enough, if not specifically SECR.

They do however have several RCH 1907 designs of private-owners which would be suitable for use with the P class as requested. :P

Cambrian do SECR wagon kits. Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol have all done wagons in SECR livery.

You then have WWI war department tankers and Dapol KESR wagons too. And some Kent coal field wagon liveries. And Hornby also did a wagon in Chatham Dockyard colours....

In my case, I also added a couple of Medway Queen vans. These are fictitious but help the Medway Queen charity restore  the paddle steamer of the same name. The livery fits in ok and has a Kentish theme.

All told, in RTR alone, I have about 20 wagons that can just about run behind these, even if technically most are based on later types and there is no RTR break van.

Careful with the Medway Queen vans ..... not only will you have to pretend that they existed - but also that the old girl was built somewhat earlier than she was !

Careful with the Medway Queen vans ..... not only will you have to pretend that they existed - but also that the old girl was built somewhat earlier than she was !

In my case, it is further compounded by the EKR radial. Now a lot of sources will go off and say they had the loco in 1919, but the definitive books on the EKR clearly show it was after grouping. Now - before reading the books -  I had intended to run my EKR radial with my SECR stock.

The trouble is also the fact that the loco had left the EKR a long time before BR days (if it had been an EKR O1, they did briefly see BR days) and I don't have much in the way of SR stock, most is old, some are as preserved and what is left won't be anywhere near the EKR.... None are DCC sound fitted (which my EKR radial is as are half the SECR fleet).

So I guess I'll be using some artistic license to run this pretty loco next to SECR anyway.

The alternative is a Bluebell setting but that would limit the SECR locos to just a select few and the Radial never ran in EKR livery while preserved (and the Birdcages would definitely not fit in).

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1

In my case, it is further compounded by the EKR radial. Now a lot of sources will go off and say they had the loco in 1919, but the definitive books on the EKR clearly show it was after grouping. Now - before reading the books -  I had intended to run my EKR radial with my SECR stock.

The trouble is also the fact that the loco had left the EKR a long time before BR days (if it had been an EKR O1, they did briefly see BR days) and I don't have much in the way of SR stock, most is old, some are as preserved and what is left won't be anywhere near the EKR.... None are DCC sound fitted (which my EKR radial is as are half the SECR fleet).

So I guess I'll be using some artistic license to run this pretty loco next to SECR anyway.

The alternative is a Bluebell setting but that would limit the SECR locos to just a select few and the Radial never ran in EKR livery while preserved (and the Birdcages would definitely not fit in).

The definitive books on the Southern will remind you that every item of SECR rolling stock carried SECR livery at the time of grouping - and many vehicles didn't get Southern livery for many years afterwards ........ so there's plenty of scope for SECR liveries behind an EKR Radial.