SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

Very good point indeed sir. Perhaps a change to more environmentally friendly packaging materials should be adopted by all manufacturers. There really is no need for plastic when cardboard 'technology' has moved on the way it has.

That would be a fair point if the packaging were only to protect the items until they get to us. Plastic is more durable than cardboard and I imagine that most of us store locos in their packaging, bring them out, put them away, bring them out … you get the idea.

• RMweb Gold

That would be a fair point if the packaging were only to protect the items until they get to us. Plastic is more durable than cardboard and I imagine that most of us store locos in their packaging, bring them out, put them away, bring them out … you get the idea.

I don't.

Erm, I always thought that was what layouts were for.

Cheers,

David

Erm, I always thought that was what layouts were for.

Cheers,

David

Sadly, for those of us who exhibit or take stock to the model railway club, original boxes are often the safest way to transport locos (and, increasingly with all the separate detail parts these days, coaches and wagons too). I have some foam-lined stock boxes, but even so, many of my locos get transported in the manufacturer's box.

• Like 2

One little item I have noticed that I particularly like is that the shedplate on the BR models is in relief. Nearly always these are printed on while in reality the shedplate is nearly as thick as the numberplate.

I have ordered one of the SECR livery models but I'm going to have to have a BR one as well!

Sadly, for those of us who exhibit or take stock to the model railway club, original boxes are often the safest way to transport locos (and, increasingly with all the separate detail parts these days, coaches and wagons too). I have some foam-lined stock boxes, but even so, many of my locos get transported in the manufacturer's box.

Point taken. I have a special box for transporting stock to exhibitions, I find the manufacturer’s boxes are too bulky and are too much of a faff when it comes to removing stock from them. I understand why they build them that way. Not all shippers are gentle when they handle boxes marked “FRAGILE”, in fact if some video clips are to be believed they look on it as a bit of a challenge.

Cheers,

David

Having seen, and looked at the images recently posted, they look better than the first, and slightly better than the pre pro with the additional lining added.. But I hate to say it, in some areas it still looks a bit messy not refined, with the boiler band printing and some of the red lining not really following the black edge. I just really hope they are sorted by the time they land in the UK. But overall nice.

I wasn't quite as "wow-ed" as I had hoped to be by the SE&CR green version, but then noticing the "pre-production prototype" marking on the photo, I investigated the production "Bluebell" and the lining seems generally better applied. Also of note: The steam reverser is being lined out to a more complex pattern than the Hornby H class I have, and I was impressed with that! If the green ones look as good as the blue, I'll be a very happy bunny.

Edited by Skinnylinny

• RMweb Gold

Just in case people need some help getting excited about the P Class. Here is a video I took last September of 323 departing from Horsted Keynes in September last year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrBRju2zaU&index=1&list=PLswNrMNIgc4lpHpsSnRhxqj3tpJ0LMHUv

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 2

I just use the inners for transporting locos, all stacked in a 18 Litre Really Useful Box. The current style of plastic wrap is great for this, while a bit more care is needed for locos that are in foam trays, siting them in the Really Useful Box in an appropriate manner.

Just in case people need some help getting excited about the P Class. Here is a video I took last September of 323 departing from Horsted Keynes in September last year!

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=LDrBRju2zaU

Gary

Pretty!

But I've still got to wait until May for the SECR version...

btw when I click on the link, I get a Google login demand.  If I open youtube then search for 323 Horstead Keynes you get it without the strongarming.  Odd!

• Like 1

Strange. I have redone the link in case I had put the wrong one!! I have to wait until May for the SE&CR one as well! I am getting Bluebell as I drove it on the day I was there!!!

Gary

Redone link works as it should.

Perhaps you were still logged in to youtube when you grabbed the link?

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDrBRju2zaU&index=1&list=PLswNrMNIgc4lpHpsSnRhxqj3tpJ0LMHUv

Gary

A truly delightful day in the country. England as it should look from a nostalgic point of view.

• Like 2

There's about 4 mins of a journey along the Churnet Valley last February from about 11mins10 in my little film:

Nice film; thanks for posting it. I dare say that Bluebell was lightly loaded but there was nothing wrong with its acceleration.

The film has done nothing to supress my desire for an S160!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Gary

Lovely.

What a gorgeous livery.

Is it really only appropriate for the preservation era?

• Like 2