SECR P Class 0-6-0T in OO Gauge from Hattons

Hattons Dave

You can add to that Bachmann's N class, Hornby's model of the SECR Terrier, and the ancient Hornby-Dublo/Wrenn R1.

I forgot about the N class but this is the SECRs equal to the N15 (in terms of becoming an SR standard type and used everywhere, of course).

For me the Dublo/Wrenn R1 I no longer counts as a serious model, I even tarted one up but still it cannot count. It would be like saying Triang's L1 is an SR model.

The Terrier, while the SECR had one, is not an SECR designed loco. I think physically it was quite different to the one Hornby produces too. Remarkably, this loco made it into preservation.

The P class was conceived for push pull work between 2 coaches, but those trains soon became too small for passenger demand.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

Excellent announcement! I think I'll need two (323 and 178).

Do we know how the manufacturer is? Given the insulated wheel bushes, it looks very Bachmann, especially given their announcement a few weeks back that they are now working on external contracts. But no mention in Hattons announcement. Subcontract with Kader direct? Would be nice to know in terms of what to expect mechanically.

As already confirmed this is being 'manufactured' by Hatton's directly with a Chinese factory (the actual name of which is between Hatton's and the factory) with no other organisation / 3rd party involved. The 5 pole motor is in the boiler with a gearbox to, I believe, the rear driving axle. 

• Like 1

As already confirmed this is being 'manufactured' by Hatton's directly with a Chinese factory (the actual name of which is between Hatton's and the factory) with no other organisation / 3rd party involved. The 5 pole motor is in the boiler with a gearbox to, I believe, the rear driving axle. 

OK, this changes things. Obviously Hattons are NOT the manufacturer, but contractor (in the same way that Hornby subcontract, with variable results (e.g. REFINED!)). So the actual manufacturer/subcontractor might be an unkown entity. Still we trust Hattons will ensure a top quality product! Thanks for the improved technical detail.

RTR is for the masses so it makes sense to go for popular heritage locos, especially when they carried pretty colours. It wouldn't surprise me to see Aerolite  before we get a GWR 'Manor'.....for example.

If that's the case then J21 should be blatantly obvious as an engine that would be perfect to meet criteria of pregrouping, small-medium in size, perfectly proportioned design - a design that had longevity lasting into BR - and a design that actually worked and was a great piece of engineering. Add Stainmore legacy and you have an engine that makes S&DJR cult engines look particularly dull. (You watch everyone bite at that!) I would hope that Hornby move into the North, following Q6 and aim for B16 too.

Problem with Scottish choices, is that in wish lists they appear quite down the lists...

With the P-class and with other commissions they are small tank designs that mop up areas of the engine pool. Perfect for commissions and the more engines match the range and availability of regions that come with the general range. It means engines like this will be popular to go with the many southern steam engines that are available, plus more in the shape of Dock tanks and other commissions.

Still, its nice to see others happy that their range is extended, but yet again the Southern get more, and everyone else gets less as another production run is done. However, its their day today, so its good to see them placing orders and happy with Hatton's choice.

Perhaps the silver lining is that Hatton's appear to choose selective engines that are popular and in demand. There seems to be a national look to the gaps in the range, given what Hatton's are commissioning rather than regional choices like some other shops making commissions. If that's the case, they could choose something North Eastern or Scottish after all...

OK, this changes things. Obviously Hattons are NOT the manufacturer, but contractor (in the same way that Hornby subcontract, with variable results (e.g. REFINED!)). So the actual manufacturer/subcontractor might be an unkown entity. Still we trust Hattons will ensure a top quality product! Thanks for the improved technical detail.

Did you think they had a Hattons branded factory somewhere down Binns Road?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What a charmed class seeing as four of the eight built have been preserved. Based on the LBSC Terrior, but with cost-cutting reducing their tractive effort to around 70% of that of the Terrior, they were unable to tackle their intended duties and ended up shunting. Still, railway enthusiasm isn't about success locos or otherwise. The collectors in all their guises will snap them up, especially as their manufacturing brand is a guarantee of a down to earth design.

Natural candidates for the earlier preservation schemes of Southern England, like the Terriers a small, simply constructed, and (relatively) easily restored loco.  In those days nobody'd even thought it was possible to tackle 8P pacifics in Barry wreck condition or build new ones from scratch, and the preservation movement had not built that amount of expertise or confidence, never mind the cash!

What a charmed class seeing as four of the eight built have been preserved. Based on the LBSC Terrior, but with cost-cutting reducing their tractive effort to around 70% of that of the Terrior, they were unable to tackle their intended duties and ended up shunting. Still, railway enthusiasm isn't about success locos or otherwise. The collectors in all their guises will snap them up, especially as their manufacturing brand is a guarantee of a down to earth design.

Natural candidates for the earlier preservation schemes of Southern England, like the Terriers a small, simply constructed, and (relatively) easily restored loco.  In those days nobody'd even thought it was possible to tackle 8P pacifics in Barry wreck condition or build new ones from scratch, and the preservation movement had not built that amount of expertise or confidence, never mind the cash!

• Like 1

RTR is for the masses so it makes sense to go for popular heritage locos, especially when they carried pretty colours. It wouldn't surprise me to see Aerolite  before we get a GWR 'Manor'.....for example.

Well I can always live in hope, Aerolite is one of my favourite locos in the National Collection. However I would expect to see a Manor first!

• RMweb Gold

If that's the case then J21 should be blatantly obvious as an engine that would be perfect to meet criteria of pregrouping, small-medium in size, perfectly proportioned design - a design that had longevity lasting into BR - and a design that actually worked and was a great piece of engineering. Add Stainmore legacy and you have an engine that makes S&DJR cult engines look particularly dull. (You watch everyone bite at that!) I would hope that Hornby move into the North, following Q6 and aim for B16 too.

Problem with Scottish choices, is that in wish lists they appear quite down the lists...

Assuming that you mean the list of results, that suggests that relatively few people want them.

Or are you implying that fans of Scottish prototypes don't have the attention span/stamina to work their way through a long list of candidates and find their favourites? :jester:

John

Funnily enough I was thinking about the P Class today only to discover that I had been picking up signals via some ESP link. I could easily chose five but I think I must restrict myself to one of the SECR liveried ones for now. It does show that the pre-group period is becoming a viable commercial enterprise.

Within the space of a short period of time towards the end of this year we're going to have the H Class, the Birdcage coaches and now the P Class. It's like a dream come true.

• Like 2

I've ordered SECR 178. I may order another livery depending on how work goes in the next few months (self-employed) and if Hattons still have models to sell. Is this one of the shortest timeframes from first public announcement to actual availability?

Edited by Anglian

Can't claim any in-depth knowledge of matters South Eastern, but 178 and 753 look spot on to me. The livery application looks a match to the portrait of 754 in RCTS.

753, along with 754, was one of the first two, which had the higher cab and tanks.  A real luxury to have both variants tooled for. Well done Hattons.

I note that as well as "as preserved", Hattons date their model of 753, which was built in February 1909, as "1909-1911" and 178, which was built February 1910, as "1910-1911".

Thus, these are presented as in 'as built' condition, as fitted for auto-train working. The auto-gear was removed from 753 by the end of 1912, as one of the class transferred to shunting or shed pilot duties.

In this period depicted, 753 was set to work the Westerham Branch, and 178 worked Reading-Ash, along with 754, so potential for a renumbering of 753.  I understand that they generally worked sandwiched between a pair of auto-trailers, increasing to 4 at need.

Hattons is really to be commended.  Will certainly pre-order.

In this period depicted, 753 was set to work the Westerham Branch, and 178 worked Reading-Ash, along with 754, so potential for a renumbering of 753.  I understand that they generally worked sandwiched between a pair of auto-trailers, increasing to 4 at need.

Oh dear. That means my Dad would have seen it regularly, going past the farm in Wokingham. Not buying one though, as I've got nowhere suitable to run it.

Glad I resisted buying the Dean Sidings body kit from  Precision at the York show. Bluebell ordered to join the preserved loco fleet.

Unfortunately I've not only bought the kit in June, but also hacked up the Hornby chassis to go underneath it too! I suspect that it may end up getting built to go on eBay at some point as an attempt to recoup costs... Fantastic news from Hattons, though!

• Like 1

Did you think they had a Hattons branded factory somewhere down Binns Road?

don't be silly, of course not. although I wouldn't put it past them to have their own factory in China at some point like Rapido... but I guess the scale of operations isn't quite there yet.