union mills

mr b

That sounds great, wonder if BR really ran them in brunswick? I'll be adding one to my collection and chipping it (easy to do I've done 11 so far). By todays standards UM locos are basic on detail but this is a small price to pay when you consider the benifits of the haulage power.

Mr B

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Wobblybob ,and welcome to the show ! Along with my other locos my G2 performs effortlesly, I have a D 11 (Director) on order from UM, the BR green one. My last one was a LMS 2p after a long search managed to pick up a couple of Farish (Pool) LMS non gangwayed coach's. Will keep in touch about the D 11 when it comes in a week or so.

Mr B .

Hi Wobblybob ,and welcome to the show ! Along with my other locos my G2 performs effortlesly, I have a D 11 (Director) on order from UM, the BR green one. My last one was a LMS 2p after a long search managed to pick up a couple of Farish (Pool) LMS non gangwayed coach's. Will keep in touch about the D 11 when it comes in a week or so.

Mr B .

Okay - thanks!

Bob

Does anyone have a list of locos currently available or an email address for Colin?

Also do any Union Mills loco have room for a decoder in the tender? I've got a J11 with a decoder in the cab, and a D20 which will probably be chipped using the same method, but I'd prefer a more elegant solution.

George

• RMweb Gold

Hello George,

I've got an Union Mills J39 which I converted to DCC. The DCC chip was fitted in the tender. But for that you have to cut out an opening in the tender coal load, so that you could place the the chip above the motor. When you have installed the chip you have to close the hole.

Markus

Hi Gilwell Park, simply dont know how to post on this forum, picky on LNER Forums, Model Railways, Union Mills.

Right you guys dont panic over fitting a chip into a UM loco,if you have a large tender e.g... B16, D20, Q2 theres no need to alter the coal, on the smaller tenders you could get away with 'scrapping' the inside of the coal with a small chisel, I done a three page sheet on the subject and sent it across to UM, so next time you purchace a new loco from them simply ask for a copy of this. The Hornby chip suits just fine.

Collin at Union Mills is very slow at answering E mail.

Send SAE and reply next post,

Union Mills Models

Union Mills Braden Isle of Man.

Mr B

I've just ordered one of the LNER Directors, along with Mr B's DCC fitting guide. The LNER liveried ones are named "Lady of the Lake" and "Princess ******" (someone, I have forgotten it already). Hopefully it should be here within a day or two so I'll post some photos.

LNER liveried locos (B12, J39 and Q2) are out of stock with a new run due in August.

George

post-8869-127307423706.jpg Done it at last!!! Union Mills D11 Br green, runs as sweet as it looks,the green could have been apple with British Railways on tender but it will grow on me.

Mr B

• Like 2

My LNER "Lady of the Lake" has arrived, and having had a quick look under the tender body I think that a Digitrax DZ125 will fit without any modification to the structure. I also prefer the simple wiring compared to some locos - much easier to remove the wiring and replace it with my own (or rater my nephew, as he has much better soldering skills).

I also received an up to date price and availability list. I'm tempted to reduce my diesel fleet and model an LNER branchine.

Apologies for the poor lighting, the layout is in the loft and its either too dark in the corners or too bright under the Velux windows.

George.

• Like 1

Looks very nice, hope you manage the chipping , Digitrax Dz 125 is a better option than the Hornby but as I was only controling the motor the cheaper chip suited, dont worry about the photos the digital camera usually sorts it out, try switching the flash off, you'll be suprized . A big improvement is to line the boiler bands and splashers, I'll post a pick of my B12.

Mr B

Always remember DO NOT run Union Mills locos on DCC annalog or you will burn out the motor. Once chipped these locos are good runners.

Mr B

N gauge, they are from a old sheet of 4mm water slide loco lining Kemco(?) i think, the remanes of the sheet are so cut up its hard to tell. Fox transfers might do similer for 'N', water slide gives you more command as to position. Also I replaced the lion ( again a small 4mm waterslide one ) on the J39 tender for the later one and finished the loco ex works.

Mr B

post-8869-127333093348_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

they look nice. I hope there's enough room to reinstate the splasher covers to backdate to the original condition....!

besides the obviously wrong BR Green 'Butler', shouldn't 'Lady of the Lake' in LNER green with number on cab only date from post-WWii, and therefore be numbered 2690 rather than 6397? (she should also have a lower cab and boiler fittings, but I doubt such things are noticeable in this scale)

Will

Just got my hands on Lady of the Lake and a J39 now both fitted with DCC. Apparently there is enough room above the motor on the J39 and the D20 to fit a Digirax DZ125IN decoder. The pins need to be unsoldered and the red, black grey and orange wires soldered in their place. The D11 and J11 tenders are smaller so the decoder is attached to the inside roof of the tender just above the drive worm, the the wires are tucked inside making sure they don't foul the gears. My nephew has made a cradle out of lolly pop sticks which holds the tender just at the right height to solder the wires. I've been told that i must not take the tenders apart so sorry no photos.

George

• 7 months later...