union mills

mr b

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I live in Australia, and find mail to the UK an inconvenience. Can anyone help me with an email address (or fax number!) for union mills?

Regards,

Mike

Lst I heard Colin dosen't have email. I've done all my ordering, from Australia, over the phone. I'll Pm you the number.

Colin Heard does have an e-mail address: -

colin.h@manx.net

I was told he may not necessarily get back to you that quickly via e-mail, but that said I experienced no problem when I contacted him this way.

However you will still need to either call him or fax him with any order.

Regards

Roy

Yes, that is his email address and I can also echo's Roy's comment about communicating with him via email - no problems at all.

I will add, however, that except for my first order - which I made by letter (because I live in California and because I didn't know better) - I have placed all of my orders with Mr. Heard via email. I've simply typed "New Loco Order" or something similar in the subject line.

He keeps credit card information on file at least for a while so if you place subsequent orders you can ask him if he still has your account information before you send it to him again. In the USA, a consumer who has his credit card number stolen is by law not liable for any purchase made with the stolen number so I've never had any hesitation emailing that information to him. But I don't know what the laws are about that sort of liability in other countries, of course.

Hope you enjoy your UM locos. I've certainly enjoyed mine!

-Matt

Does anyone have the latest "Locolist" (stock availabilty sheet) from Union Mills? Mine dates from this past February and on it there was a footnote stating there would be new stock after Easter. If someone has this could they please scan and post it here? I'd be much obliged!

-Matt

re;- union mills wheels , collectors note the 1st run will have polished tender wheel sets , all re-runs will have blackend.

Mr B

Have just received L&NER D20 from Colin Heard - Union Mills. It runs beautifully both at speed and slowly. Nice finish - the cab and splash guards are lined which I didn't expect. Looks as though it should be easy to detail. It also doesn't suffer from "stickolgy" which many of Union Mills more illustrious competitors seem too. Can't wait for funds to recover and order another.

No1kato.

Has anyone got one the Colin's Cauliflowers yet. If so any chance of some pictures?

The tender looks to be of a new design with a shorter wheelbase, is this the case?

There is photo of the new Cauliflower at the N Gauge Forum here:

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=156.45

Since you've apparently seen the tender, perhaps you've already seen this photo. In any case, I've ordered one along with a 2F, and once received (overseas post to California can take up to 10 days or so) I will post some photos like I did of some other UM locos. The tender does look like a new design for UM, but from the photo in the link it doesn't look to me to be a shorter wheelbase. But I will be able to confirm when mine arrives.

-Matt

I just received my 2F and Webb Cauliflower today from Union Mills. Because photos of UM locos can be difficult to find I am posting pictures of these two just as I had posted pictures of six others before. I hope someone finds the photographs useful. The 2F is topmost, the Cauliflower is on the bottom.

Two points. First, a previous poster commented for collectors that the first run of a UM model would have polished tender wheel sets and that subsequent re-runs would have blackened sets. This may have been Mr. Heard's previous practice but for the Cauliflower it is seems it is no longer the case as mine has blackened wheels yet the model was released only 3-4 weeks before I ordered mine. That said, I suppose it is possible that in those 3-4 weeks Mr. Heard sold out his initial run and then quickly made a re-run. I buy my models to play with, not to collect, so it really doesn't matter to me!

Second, another poster asked hopefully if the Cauliflower's tender wheelbase was shorter than that of other UM loco tenders. To answer this this question I made a side by side comparison of the Cauliflower's tender with the tenders of my other UM models and having done so I can definitely say the Cauliflower tender has the same wheelbase as all the rest. Sorry for that news.

Matt

post-4367-0-68188200-1307082167_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-96505000-1307082197_thumb.jpg

[Edited 4 October, 2012 to add pictures of just purchased 700 Class (top) and D20. N.b. the D20 is the current tooling, not the original one.]

post-4367-0-20093200-1349420910_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-34026700-1349420928_thumb.jpg

Edited by oreamnos
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I purchased two more locos from Union Mills and in keeping with my aim to make pictures of UM locos available for those who might be interested in them, I am uploading photos of them here. The locos are a J39 0-6-0 and a Drummond T9 4-4-0. Note the J39 is the current tooling, with daylight under the boiler.

Matt

post-4367-0-82448600-1323587587_thumb.jpg

post-4367-0-26469800-1323587685_thumb.jpg

Edited by oreamnos
  • Like 1

I too am a fan of Union Mills, though I find the models benefit from a bit of extra detailing.

This loco began life as a 2F before I converted it into a Midland Railway Johnson Class 2.

Still has the pulling power of the original.

post-5408-0-85186000-1323731741_thumb.gif

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Chrislock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Chris' Johnson Class 2 looks great. I'm detailing a J11 at the moment, which I'll try and post when its finished. Does anybody know if Colin has anything new planned? (I think we knew about the Cauliflower this time last year)...

Thanks for the photos,

Alastair

Colin will also supply tenders on their own, if you ask him nicely!

This allows the scratchbuilding of any engine you like and makes the power aspect much easier.

Pictures of the various locos are also useful in this respect, to show the tenders.

On this model, a Kirtley double frames goods engine, the tender I ordered needed a fair amount of hacking about, and I wonder if there would have been a more suitable one in the first place!

Cheers,

Chris

post-5408-0-71201000-1324377865_thumb.gif

• 2 weeks later...