Siphon H Lamp Bracket

• RMweb Gold

I am, temporarily I am sure, defeated on this one.  I am in the process of fitting lamp brackets for Modelu lamps to as many of my vehicles as I can, usually being guided by photographs or the position of the existing moulding on the model, but am stumped for now with an old Mainline GW Siphon H.  Even the redoubtable Paul Bartlett has let me down, having only photos of Siphon Gs, and Google images seems to have no photographs at all of Siphon Hs except the model I've already got.

Does any professor from the University of RMWeb know where the lamp brackets were on a Siphon H.  As the vehicle has end doors, I imagine they were somewhere on the upper part of the doors bolted directly to the planking, as there seems nowhere on the edge strapping or hinges for them to go.  I suppose I could give up and ensure that the Siphon is never the tail vehicle in a train, but that feels like cheating!

BR GUVs and CCTs, which had a similar end door arrangement but made of steel, have the bracket at the bottom of the drop down panel just above the buffer bean, and the Mainline moulding has a detail here that could be the baseplate for a lamp bracket, so in lieu of better information I will put it there, but it would be nice to have this supposition confirmed or corrected!

Thanks in advance!

• RMweb Gold

Right, this is what I have - the lamp bracket was on the bottom edge of the small drop-down end door, offset to the left as you look end-on - there's a photo with a semi-end view in Slinn & Clarke on page 58 - credited to Jim Russell.  I don't think I'm allowed to show any part of the photograph here - but it sounds like the same arrangement as on the GUVs

Here's a very poor sketch of the shape of the bracket from the drawing of the Siphon H in Slinn and Clarke:

post-7783-0-60438300-1505408252_thumb.jpg

It's that shape so can be bolted to the lower frame of the drop-down door.

Does that help at all?

Edited by Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Gold

Helps a lot, Zero my Hero.  That is where the mouding I mentioned is and confirms that it is intended to represent the baseplate for this bracket.  That is, indeed, the same as on the GUVs, and CCTs, the BR mk1 standard ones anyway.

I am now well on the way to having brackets in near enough the right places on all my stock that would have carried them; thank you all both here and in my lamp brackets thread.  From here on in it is my fault if trains are not lamped up correctly...