October 2017 Railway Modeller

Budgie

Beyond all the moaning......

I thought it was a good edition even as a diesel walla, I can appreciate fine modelling such as the O gauge lead layout on the pier.

I also still like the fact it's not elitist, the guys GWR branch was nice, but even he was saying should have painted the rails sides rusty !

if you wrote an article you used to get a copy of the mag.. if that is the case mine has not arrived

That was the case earlier this year when I had an article published in the RM . . . . A complimentary copy arrived by post but after I was able to purchase one.

G

I would imagine timetables for sending out magazines have been disrupted. When I have had articles in CM, complimentary copy has arrived with cheque. Day varies, so probablyalso dependent on other office duties. I even got a complimentary copy when I had a letter published in RM  with a photo. I don't think letters without photos get the complimentary copy. It was a nice surprise. As I have subscription it does not make much difference to me, so I pass on spare copies to friends.

if you wrote an article you used to get a copy of the mag.. if that is the case mine has not arrived

Baz

I had an article in Continental Modeller about 2 years ago, received a complimentary issue approx. one week after publication.

Regards, John

I don't normally read Railway Modeller, but I bought this issue purely for the article on the Sherwood Section, and everything else was a bonus. I do take Model Rail but the fact that Shell Haven featured there recently did not bother me in the slightest; Surely there was enough other content in the magazine ?

The fact that the same layouts appear in more than one magazine, and to me it doesn't matter much if it's simultaneously or a few months apart, is one of several things that suggest to me that there might be too many model railway magazines being published right now. There are only so many people with enough time and skill to build interesting layouts, and only a proportion of them like writing articles.

All this duplication spoils my 'free library' time at WHS when waiting for trains.

In "not long before I'm an old bloke" rant mode, it reminds me of TV, where there are about eight zillion channels, but only the same number of programmes that are actually worth watching as when there were only three channels (plus another ITV, very fuzzily, from somewhere about three counties away). Actually, perhaps I'm already an old bloke!

Kevin

PS: RM jolly good again this month!

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would imagine timetables for sending out magazines have been disrupted. When I have had articles in CM, complimentary copy has arrived with cheque. Day varies, so probablyalso dependent on other office duties. I even got a complimentary copy when I had a letter published in RM  with a photo. I don't think letters without photos get the complimentary copy. It was a nice surprise. As I have subscription it does not make much difference to me, so I pass on spare copies to friends.

That does indedd seem to be the case...

Short letter published, no photo, no Mag.

Letter with my own Photo Published...Mag Received.

It was nice to get a Mag....every little helps! ;)

EDITED to add "my own"...

Edited by Sarahagain

Mag only received when it was my photo. When RM added a photo alongside one of my letters, referring back to the old Marsden OO layout our club still has, then no mag. It is a nice bonus, but as I subscibe, it does not bother me . Hope

fully November issue won't get delayed because of some news  this time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...