lenz abc

art54

Hello again everyone, my problem this time is with a Heljan class 26 which will not stop at a red signal, this has just started after I had a go at cleaning the connections to the back of the wheels, I might have altered which of the pickups should be and shouldn't be touching as I presumed that they should all be touching,has anyone managed to strip down the said engine to get a better way of cleaning the backs of the wheels, i've already tried a wheel cleaning brush to no avail, cheers.

Hello again everyone, my problem this time is with a Heljan class 26 which will not stop at a red signal, this has just started after I had a go at cleaning the connections to the back of the wheels, I might have altered which of the pickups should be and shouldn't be touching as I presumed that they should all be touching,has anyone managed to strip down the said engine to get a better way of cleaning the backs of the wheels, i've already tried a wheel cleaning brush to no avail, cheers.

Two separate problems, as Dutch Master has alreadysuggested.

...my problem this time is with a Heljan class 26 which will not stop at a red signal, this has just started after I had a go at cleaning the connections to the back of the wheels...

Need to reprogramme the decoder for the ABC functionality. Why it failed, we don't know. Making sure pick up is efficient will not be the cause.

...has anyone managed to strip down the said engine to get a better way of cleaning the backs of the wheels...

It is simple to do, if a little fiddly. First - gently - pull the cosmetic mouldings of the bogie frames off, they are a push fit on two pegs on the gear tower, as this helps in admitting light to proceedings. There are flat clips on the cover which is on the base of the gear tower, and acts as a keeper plate for the wheelsets. These clips engage on projections moulded on the sides of the gear tower, and are pretty much concealed behind the wheels. (On the class 27 parts drawing which I happen to have by me, the part is no 36.) Use a good bright light on the job so you see what you are doing, and use a slim blade to release the clips. Now the wheelsets may be lifted out.

And your question is? I see no relevance at all between cleaning the wheels (and rectifying an obvious fault as pickups really do need to touch the wheels to work properly :rolleyes: ) and a non-stopping train and I still haven't got a clue how and where that Lenz ABC system you mentioned in the thread title comes into the equation :no:

So, tell us more :yes:

Hello Mr Dutch_Master,

Sorry for not explaining in finer detail, what I should of explained is my class 26 has a lenz decoder which has the abc facility, this was working fine up until cleaning the backs of the wheels with an emery board (instead of removing the bogies). Since then the engine runs better but will not stop at a red signal, when I was cleaning the wheels I made sure all the pickups where touching the backs of the wheels, that's all I can tell you.