Hornby R965 DC controller

J50

A little more information, please. Are you using bulbs or LEDs ? As far as I am aware the only output is the controlled one, so your lamp brightness, whichever sort, will vary with the train speed !!

The street lamps will be LEDs.

As the Hornby R965 DC controller seems to only have two output terminals then No you can't run LEDs from it, LEDs have a very limited operating range lighting at around 2 volts and go pop at around 4 volts and will only light when the train is not on the rails or is going flat out if you fit the correct resistors or will go pop when the loco is not on the track with no resistors.

Plenty of quality transformer controllers on Ebay with the uncontrolled DC connections you need.

• RMweb Premium

The street lamps will be LEDs.

Don't use a train controller for LED's, otherwise even with the correct resistors, the amount of light will vary and even go out, when the train is stopped. Perhaps you have an old mobile phone charger?

Work out what value resistors you need. You should use 1 resistor per LED, for best & safest results. Some people will tell you that you don't need individual resistors. If used in certain ways, that is correct, but for basic use, stick with individual resistors.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

This tool is handy as the 2nd option allows you to select what colour LED you have, because the resistor required will vary depending on colour. Click on the question marks for help to enter the information required.

What I do for my smaller layout is to use batteries.  I got my battery holder (with switch) from Kytes Lights because it was convenient for me; however, I suspect that you could get one from somewhere like Maplins very easily.  The battery holder uses AAA batteries, but because LEDs don't use a lot of power, the batteries will last a long time.

One advantage of battery power is that the voltage shouldn't exceed what it is supposed to be.  I understand that LEDs tend to be killed by higher voltages.