Another Channel 5 Documentary series:- Paddington 24/7

phil-b259

• RMweb Premium

What amazed me was when the rail maintenance crew said that some of the rails in the platforms were 30 years old! It's no wonder they kept having problems with derailments and track circuits.

One of the biggest problem seems to be what they are exposed to.

There is a layer of crud (putting it cleanly) over everything from the toilet discharges.

Sleeper rot, track circuits shorting etc.

Keith

One of the biggest problem seems to be what they are exposed to.

There is a layer of crud (putting it cleanly) over everything from the toilet discharges.

Sleeper rot, track circuits shorting etc.

Keith

That's why you would think that the whole platform trackwork would would be replaced fairly frequently. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched last Monday's episode, which included a very bizarre incident where an HST had just started away from Platform 9 but came to a sudden halt. The reason? Another driver had got into the rear power car 'by mistake' and inserted his key, which had 'confused' the train.

How on earth does a driver get into the rear cab of an HST at Paddington 'by mistake'?

Just watched last Monday's episode, which included a very bizarre incident where an HST had just started away from Platform 9 but came to a sudden halt. The reason? Another driver had got into the rear power car 'by mistake' and inserted his key, which had 'confused' the train.

How on earth does a driver get into the rear cab of an HST at Paddington 'by mistake'?

I thought the same, I presume as part of prepping the train a driver has checks to do in both power cars. The other thing May be realising his mistake at getting on the wrong train the driver decides to stop the train to get off and does so by inserting the key? Very strange situation...

I thought the same, I presume as part of prepping the train a driver has checks to do in both power cars. The other thing May be realising his mistake at getting on the wrong train the driver decides to stop the train to get off and does so by inserting the key? Very strange situation...

Where's "Royal Oak" when you need him?

• RMweb Premium

Where's "Royal Oak" when you need him?

We should be careful about expecting a member of this forum to give us inside information which might create a negative impression of his colleagues.

• RMweb Gold

That's why you would think that the whole platform trackwork would would be replaced fairly frequently. 

But it is under very little mechanical stress.

Arriving trains have done all their heavy braking before reaching the platforms and departing ones don't get opened up until they clear the crossovers.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

In the episode last night I was astounded to note the NR guys doing the crossing replacement hadn't got the right socket with them.

Exactly how many sizes of nut do they need to cover?

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I think the whole programme gives a negative impression of hie colleagues !

After hearing on the main news today that Paddington was in chaos with the overhead wires down wait till that episode is shown, it will be a good drama !