Something's Brewing...

img_9518.jpg

A brewery, in fact. 

It's an inglenook. A 3-2-2 version but an inglenook non-the-less. The Metcalfe brewery kit is being suitably 'bashed' with much fiddling of relief, whilst the building front right will have a line running through it (an internal loading bay). 

Lots still to do... but it's a start!

• Like 1

img_9533.jpg

I'm pleased with how things are going on the Brewery Inglenook. The low relief brewery buildings on the back scene are coming along nicely and I've now started work on the scenic break loading bay. 

img_9535-1.jpg

I've been surprised by how much I'm enjoying making - and tinkering with - the Metcalfe kit. I don't like the lack of relief on printed kits but this has been a delight to work with, and the lack of relief is a compromise I'm happy to make. 

The mojo is flowing nicely and currently I only have two concerns; what to floor it with (ballast, cobbles or a mix) and what to call the layout. 

Sorry... make that three. Do I buy another Sentinel for it as I love those models!!!

My micro layout of a brewery - a micro brewery, perhaps - is still progressing nicely. That said, the start of a new term, as well as a new course, has severely restricted modelling time. 

I did manage to grab an hour earlier today though, which saw me make more inroads on the scenic break building as well as adding the capping to the roof of the first building I made. Nothing particularly photo-worthy though, hence the picture of a pint of Estrella (my favourite lager) to keep the mojo going. 

The name is still up in the air though, which is fine. It can just be the micro brewery for now!

img_9597.jpg

So, with around 200 square centimetres of baseboard to cover in cobbles - and no desire to both spend the money on or time cutting Wills sheets - I've been looking at alternatives. 

That's where Fab Foam and a pen comes in. The little trial above has held well and, suitably painted and weathered, should be more than good enough. 

Thoughts?

• Like 2

Do you want cobblestones or setts? My understanding is that setts are more common in this sort of situation. Cobbles are more natural rounded stones, where are setts are rectangular cut stones. Setts can be laid in a more regular pattern giving a smoother and easier passage for vehicles. The Wills sheets are setts, although they're hard to use for large areas.

Here are some I did as a sample in DAS clay, along with the modified paintbrush I used as a press. It's slow, but it works. Another option is there are presses available on shapeways to smallish areas, again in DAS.

5rSR5Ai.jpg

2E7VjdS.jpg

• Like 3

Hello Gareth,

Thanks for the response. If I'm honest, I'd just thought cobbles were cobbles so it's good to hear that there IS different varieties. Those sets you've posted certainly look as though they would be what I'm after - I've not been too struck on the roundness of the cobbles I'd trialled so I'll trial some sets too.

Tomorrow will see a visit to Hobbycraft to get some FabFoam, and I'll have a look to see what I can make from some old paint brushes.

Thanks again,

Chris

I had a play around doing setts for a friend whos building in7mm using the foam base that comes with supermarket pizzas.

post-23125-0-68133400-1506096906_thumb.jpg

post-23125-0-03119100-1506096960_thumb.jpg

I think the top one looks better, it was done by scribing gently with a pencil. The second one I did by pressing in with a screwdriver, way to deep.

Cheer's, Pete.

• Like 1

Hello Gareth,

Thanks for the response. If I'm honest, I'd just thought cobbles were cobbles so it's good to hear that there IS different varieties. Those sets you've posted certainly look as though they would be what I'm after - I've not been too struck on the roundness of the cobbles I'd trialled so I'll trial some sets too.

Tomorrow will see a visit to Hobbycraft to get some FabFoam, and I'll have a look to see what I can make from some old paint brushes.

Thanks again,

Chris

It had to be explained to me too, and probably most people on here. There is a great deal of information about stone road paving techniques here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/setts01.htm

Just an aside, stone setts are usually square or rectangular in cross section and laid in an ordinary brick bond fashion in order to give grip to cartage/working horses. It was customary for these animals to be shod with toe and heel pieces (caulkins) welded (or upset) on the shoes to allow better engagement with these setts, especially of use when starting a heavy load. Still around to this day are to be seen setts in such places that a horse might require more purchase to get its load moving (e.g. in front of the old fire station building in Barrow-in-Furness).  Beach cobbles I have noted, are usually the preserve of farm yards and the more bucolic application, though they providing the same service. 

Guy

Work is still progressing on this. I'm still cobbling - which is taking ages! Four lines across an a4 sheet took the entire first half of the Everton Europa League game on Thursday night (and was more entertaining, actually!).

To be continued!

The first a4 sheet has been done and I’m now just cutting to fit before applying the wash and then weathering. Overall I’m pretty happy with it so far! It’s gives the look, and that’s what I’m after.

post-4969-0-64240800-1507316595_thumb.jpg

• Like 4