Greenbrier & Elk River Rail Road, WV

2996 Victor

• RMweb Gold

Mark,

The issue is that no one can really “approve” someone else’s layout plan. What suits you may not suit them, and vice versa.

What we can do, is to ask questions; make you think about what you want and how you will operate the layout, and comment about how the prototype might have done things (usually in the simplest manner to meet the needs of the traffic). If you are lucky, someone may have detailed knowledge of what was typical for a particular railroad, locality or area and provide specific advice, but other than that, you are not (hopefully) going to be granted approval from some all-knowing entity, and any individual providing approval is probably just a know-all.

That said, there are some weird things in the real world, but for every prototypical anomaly, there are approaching 100 modellers using the exception as an excuse for breaking the rules, rather than for testing them.

The best approval will come by copying prototype practice, and through a thorough understanding of it.

Otherwise, it doesn’t matter how good the modelling is, it’s just playing with toy trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Regularity,

many thanks as always for your comments.

The issue is that no one can really “approve” someone else’s layout plan. 

I wasn't really expecting someone to "approve" the design per se in the manner of an examiner marking a paper, rather I thought there might be a comment or two concerning glaring blunders and suchlike!

you are not (hopefully) going to be granted approval from some all-knowing entity

As above, although perhaps such an omnipotent being might in some respects be a help!

...just a know-all.

And there are always some of those! But if they do truly know what they're talking about, and are prepared to disseminate their knowledge and offer constructive advice freely and without passing judgement on others' efforts, then they would surely be welcome?

As I mentioned previously, I think, I've tried to incorporate such prototypical practice as I've been able to unearth. But having said that, the logging world does seem to have been a law unto itself. Rather, its the connection to my common carrier that is the potential sticking point.

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

So, my kits from Bitter Creek have arrived, via the HMRC Ransom Department  ;) consisting of a couple of box cars to emulate the one in the photo in Post #13 above (together with a pair of coal jimmies for my Goshen project).

The whole style of kit is completely alien to me, as I'm used to UK-style injection moulded plastic kits rather than laser-cut wooden components. Having said that, they look like great kits, and I'm really looking forward to having a bash at one of them.

I've also been extremely lucky to acquire a mine of information from Heath Station of this Parish (many, many thanks again, Dave!) which contains a huge amount of material on all aspects of US logging railroads and modelling them, as well as other US-outline railroads. I've barely scratched the surface, and I could well see it as being the inspiration of a number of projects over the coming years.

I really want to get cracking on my stock of kits, but meanwhile the garage and an MG gearbox is calling.....

Cheers for now!

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Not much has been happening on the logging front thanks to a number of reasons too dull to expand upon, but behind the scenes research has been continuing now and again.....

This has unearthed an invaluable set of drawings for an AC&F 40' flat car, as mentioned above in Post #23, together with a couple more atmospheric and valuable photographs.

The first one is from a slightly later period, as the Shay, flat car and Barnhart Loader are lettered for the Mower Lumber Company, but which give a wealth of detail:

Shay_4_Mower.jpg

The second shows Shay #6 and a box car:

Shay_6_and_Box_Car.jpg

Although the photograph is not terribly clear, the box car appears to be lettered for the Greenbrier & Elk River Railroad rather than the Greenbrier, Cheat & Elk Railroad, as the second character looks like an ampersand. The box car is an interesting design with two sliding doors per side, a definite candidate for a model.

In other news, a Keystone Locomotive Works Barnhart Loader kit arrived before Christmas. I'm also reviewing/redesigning the track plan for the layout which should hopefully make things simpler and at the same time more interesting!

Watch this space.....

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A few days ago I collected another six-pack of Tichy Train Group #6021 40' flat car kits from the Royal Mail, making a current stock of twelve. I so need to find some time to start building some of these!

Meanwhile, I've been re-drafting my track layout, which hasn't yet really produced the results I was hoping for. As a starting point for Version 2, I've drawn from Iain Rice's Linked-up-Logger, in his Small, Smart and Practical Track Plans books, in particular the middle of the three "cameos". Iain's track plans are always interesting and a good jumping-off point, although I'm not convinced of their actual "buildability" as drawn.

Still, it's all good fun, although I'm beginning to feel a little ashamed at my lack of tangible progress

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

• RMweb Premium

I've been looking for a suitable engine house and workshop for the project, and I've found this in the BTS catalogue:

http://www.btsrr.com/bts7446.htm

It's a superb-looking kit with amazing levels of internal detail, and lots of detail parts to bring it to life, and with the run-through stall it's the sort of thing I'm looking for. It's perhaps a bit longer than I'd ideally like and at $150 plus shipping (and import duty) I don't really fancy buying it to then cut chunks off it!

I think what I'd really like is two single stall houses, one shorter than the other to give a bit of visual interest, that I can join side-by-side, like two of these from Builders in Scale:

http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/kit/620.html

Obviously, in this instance, the workshop would only be needed from one kit. But at $99.98 each (again plus shipping and import duty), it's an even steeper undertaking than the BTS offering. Their kit #621 is a two-stall engine house:

http://www.builders-in-scale.com/bis/kit/621.html

At $119.98, it's a slightly less wallet-crunching proposition, but wouldn't have quite the same visual interest as two sheds joined, and ironically the BiS engine houses may only just be long enough for my loco(s)!

Suggestions will be gratefully received!

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

I've been looking for a suitable engine house and workshop for the project, and I've found this in the BTS catalogue.....

...Suggestions will be gratefully received!

Mark

200 quid would buy you a serious quantity of lime strip wood. Why not build it from scratch?

Will

• RMweb Premium

200 quid would buy you a serious quantity of lime strip wood. Why not build it from scratch?

Will

Hi Will,

you're absolutely right - it would! It's certainly something I'm considering, and I'm looking through my source material for a suitable prototype to base it on. I'm just not sure whether to commit to scratch-building the engine houses as I've not used wood before, and previous attempts at largish buildings in plastikard weren't wholly successful (not enough internal bracing). The upside, of course, would be that I can tailor the length of the shed(s) to suit my motive power!

I'm happier with rolling stock.....

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Premium

And talking of rolling stock brings me to the thorny issue of what constitutes "box car red".

I've seen Floquil quoted as a good representative Box Car Red, but of course, Floquil doesn't exist any more. However, those kind people at MicroScale have produced a cross-reference chart for former Floquil colours (https://www.microscale.com/Floquil%20Color%20Chart.pdf), with the obvious "use at your own risk" caveat.

The cross-reference chart suggests that Tamiya's XF64 Red Brown is a good bet, so assuming (dangerous, I know!) that Tamiya's TS-1 Red Brown aerosol is the same shade as their XF64 Red Brown jar, I shelled out a few quid. Here are a few bits of one of my Tichy Ore Hoppers thusly sprayed:

IMG_20180122_144730190.jpg

I have to say I'm not convinced: it looks a bit too "brown" to me - I would expect a "box car red" equivalent to be, well, redder. I'm tempted to give TS-33 Dull Red a go. Thoughts, please!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

• RMweb Gold

Red oxide car primer.

But, different roads seemed to have different interpretations of box-car red, so essentially “box-car red” is about as common as a tin of rainbow paint.

Edited by Regularity
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Red oxide car primer.

But, different roads seemed to have different interpretations of box-car red, so essentially “box-car red” is about as common as a tin or rainbow paint.

I have to say that was my initial thought, so as usual I'm probably over-thinking things!

• RMweb Premium

So after a couple of hours of fun (I haven't done much modelling in ages!), I've got this far with my first-ever HO-Scale car kit! I really pleased with the progress, the kit (Tichy Train Group) is a joy to build and I can't recommend it highly enough. Except.....the truss rods are a bit of a s0d!!!  :D Some CA glue would be a help there, though.

IMG_20180122_210202165.jpg

I'm afraid its a really poor-quality snap - taken on my phone in poor light - so apologies for that! Progress halted for this evening - a glass (or two) of shiraz doesn't aid precision, but does help disguise the flaws! I'm looking forward to completing it and then building the second of the pair.

Also, I've got some parts coming from Bitter Creek Models (thanks, Jeff!) that should nicely back-date the Tichy 40' Flat Cars I've got to wood-frame/truss-rod cars, so I'm looking forward to making a start on those, too.

Happy days!

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ore hoppers are progressing nicely, but I've discovered that I've made a small mistake with the car in the picture in Post #63 - I've transposed the air reservoir and brake cylinder. Oops! I guess I'll just have to run it with that side away from view.....  :D

And as if to add insult to injury, I managed to mangle one each of the brake wheel and brake staff bracket, so of the pair of cars when completed, one will be be missing its brake wheel. Double oops! I'm hoping that that nice Mr Tichy may be able to supply an extra sprue.....

Back to the mad-house!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I thought I'd just post a couple of pics of my ore cars, as I'm quite chuffed (!) with how they've turned out:

IMG_20180205_113131070.jpg

IMG_20180205_113246058.jpg

The muddy brown has been replaced with a much redder hue, which I'm happier with. The car on the left is still minus it's brake wheel/staff/bracket, so once I've sorted that out, I'll weather the pair together and add loads.

But, I have a train! Admittedly, not a log in sight, but nevertheless.....  :) I think perhaps a short length of display track might also be a nice idea!

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As I'm still awaiting my brake staffs/wheels/brackets from Tichy (although they're on their way), I haven't been able to finish off the ore cars yet.

However, I've assembled one of the Tichy 40' flat cars out of the box, as recommended by Prof Klyzlr, to see how it went. And I can honestly say that it's another truly excellent kit from. I've finished it in black and it'll be lettered for the Chesapeake & Ohio just for a bit of variety, and it'll be joined by a couple more in due course "just cos". Meanwhile, some Evergreen strip of various sizes/sections is also on its way to create under-framing and the Barnhart loader rails for my back-dated G&ERRR logging flats.

Unfortunately, a little accident with a bottle of plastic weld the other evening has resulted in the temporary curtailment of activities, a partly dissolved cutting mat, and a few spare parts salvaged from the solvent fallout..... :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Get a block of wood about 2” all round, drill a hole through the middle, diameter to suit you bottle with a small gap.

Place on workbench with hole vertical. Insert bottle into hole. Much harder to knock over.

• RMweb Premium

Get a block of wood about 2” all round, drill a hole through the middle, diameter to suit you bottle with a small gap.

Place on workbench with hole vertical. Insert bottle into hole. Much harder to knock over.

Excellent idea! In 35 years of using solvent adhesives, I'd never before spilled any: making a stand had never even occurred to me! I've got some offcuts of timber, so I'll get that sorted :) 

• RMweb Premium

Here is a sketch of the kind of effect I'm looking to create with the locomotive facilities: two, single-stall engine houses either joined or closely spaced, one with an attached workshop:

Sketch_1.jpg

Apologies for the ruled paper :rolleyes:

Finding dimensioned drawings to get the proportions right isn't proving terribly easy, although Brewer Railroad Plans have a couple of good ones that could be starting points. Difficult to order outside the US and Canada, though!

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone tried using dried coffee grounds as cinder ballast? Perhaps mixed with a commercially available media?

Yes.

Jas Millham has been doing this on his Yaxbury Branch in S Scale for over 40 years.

• RMweb Premium

Yes.

Jas Millham has been doing this on his Yaxbury Branch in S Scale for over 40 years.

Ah-ha!

I saw Yaxbury written up in the Model Railway Journal many years back - I don't recall Jas's use of coffee grounds, although it was a long time ago and I no longer have my collection of MRJs to refer to.

I've never had the opportunity to see Yaxbury "in the flesh", unfortunately.

I shall have to drink more coffee.....

Cheers,

Mark

• RMweb Gold

I've never had the opportunity to see Yaxbury "in the flesh", unfortunately...

It is now permanently ensconced in his loft, but he had a new layout...

I have had the joy of operating it a few times: great fun, although as it was at exhibitions we weren’t using the waybills, as they take up too much time and we wanted to keep trains running.

Jas follows North American model railroad activities and developments, incidentally.

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is now permanently ensconced in his loft, but he had a new layout...

I have had the joy of operating it a few times: great fun.

And the new layout - is that ever at shows - and presumably S as Jas is a great exponent of the scale?

• RMweb Gold

And the new layout - is that ever at shows - and presumably S as Jas is a great exponent of the scale?

He has just, or is just, starting out on the circuit.

Abbey Street will be at the London Festival of Railway Modelling.

• Like 1