Working aerial-ropeway in 4mm scale: has it been done ? If so, how ?

I am not sure whether or not this part of RMweb is appropriate for this topic but, if it isn't, I would be grateful for advice and guidance as to where a better place for it would be. Moreover I would be most interested to know if the subject has been addressed elsewhere (on RMweb or otherwise).

My impression is that despite the books of Johnson ('modelling aspects of the coal industry' , Book Law, 2003 and ' modelling further aspects of the coal industry', Book Law, 2006) and Rowe ('industrial and mechanised modelling', WIld Swan , 1990) exhibition layouts which portray collieries in detail are small in number as a proportion of the total . This is a pity as the transport of coal was, of course, one of the principal drivers for the existence of railways.

Collieries were fascinating installations in their own right to observe in operation and beyond winding-towers in model form in which the sheaves rotate realistically, I am contemplating the design and construction of a working aerial-ropeway: in 4mm scale. I seem to recall seeing one on a colliery layout around 15 years ago, but cannot now remember the name of the layout or the exhibition.

I see no point in 're-inventing the wheel' and would like to ask any who are still reading this post if they remember seeing such a layout or can provide any further information (eg magazine articles etc) which might be relevant to how a working aerial-ropeway in 4mm scale might be achieved. It seems to me that even a single-rope working system is a formidable prospect in 4mm. As far as my aspirations are concerned, it would not be necessary for the buckets to actually discharge any load, simply for the bucket proper to invert (the load would not, of course, be seen anyway when the bucket proper is in the unloaded position). But, it would be necessary for the buckets to move slowly, steadily, and without vibration to be realistic. I am uncertain as to whether this aim is possible at all and would be most grateful for any observations , previous experience of attempting this or suggestions as to how this objective might be progressed.

Edited by Holmside

In the past I've supplied some prototype details to a couple of modellers on here who were interested in such a project. One certainly got started though I cannot now recall whether it was static or working. It was a a model of a ropeway used to move oil drums rather than tipping skips but the infrastructure is the same.

What I have are some pages from a manufacturers cataloge which cover some details of construction and arrangements. If they are of interest I can pm copies.

I can see the biggest difficulties to lie in the lack of mass in the buckets and, particularly, the unscaleable properties of pendulums (pendulii?), making it difficult to get realistic movement. Using something like whitemetal castings for the buckets will help with the former but the latter is going to present problems. Somehow preventing the buckets from swinging at all will probably be easier than getting them to swing convincingly.

Working arial ropeway has been done in O gauge to perfection https://scontent.fbrs1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/1399066_576042389116108_1657768248_o.jpg?oh=c5aab6a60f9f79536648d22b79d049c2&oe=5A883260 this was at the Cardiff show many years ago , the same person has done a layout also in O gauge featuring just the working ropeway , all handbuilt , i have a video on my phone will try and upload it soon . The layouts do not appear in public very often  , only then in the South Wales areahttp://www.cardiffmodelrailwayshow.co.uk/

Edited by bazjones1711
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
I was at the Lydney show this afternoon and there was a Continental layout there which featured a working chair lift. I thought about this thread and asked the builder about it. It was the Brawa model and it would most definitely form the basis for a working ropeway.

Edit; Brawa seem to do both a chairlift and a cable car. From what I have seen it is the chairlift that would be most suitable.

Edited by Arthur

In the past I've supplied some prototype details to a couple of modellers on here who were interested in such a project. One certainly got started though I cannot now recall whether it was static or working. It was a a model of a ropeway used to move oil drums rather than tipping skips but the infrastructure is the same.

What I have are some pages from a manufacturers cataloge which cover some details of construction and arrangements. If they are of interest I can pm copies. YES PLEASE

In his post of 23 September, Bazjones1711 used the word 'perfection'. This is precisely the word to describe it: and it's a two-rope system into the bargain ! From this brief clip and from the way the buckets move, in my view it is a superb piece of miniature engineering. Are there any written descriptions of the construction anywhere ?

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for posting the video of Claughton ropeway. I pass it regularly. Didn't realise it carried shale, I assumed it was clay for brick making.

Perhaps the bodies off skip wagons could be used for the ropeway buckets?

• Like 1

In his post of 23 September, Bazjones1711 used the word 'perfection'. This is precisely the word to describe it: and it's a two-rope system into the bargain ! From this brief clip and from the way the buckets move, in my view it is a superb piece of miniature engineering. Are there any written descriptions of the construction anywhere ?

The owner of these layouts as far as I'm aware has not posted anything on the internet , forums or Facebook , he makes virtually everything from scratch from everyday objects and bits of what everyone else would call junk ! The colleiry layout features a rotary coal tippler which tips onto a conveyor belt system, at shows people stand there for ages just watching ! Will see if I can find more pics of his work , it's of the quality that should be preserved in a museum for prosperity

Thank you very much for posting these pictures. They are quite simply stunning. I have never seen a colliery presented so absolutely convincingly in model form. What a height for the bar to be set ! It makes me feel like giving up ....

Edited by Holmside

In his post of 22 September, Arthur kindly offered to supply the following information which seems very useful. He wrote:

What I have are some pages from a manufacturers cataloge which cover some details of construction and arrangements. If they are of interest I can pm copies.

I tried to reply to this before offer before, but unfortunately my incompetence in using the quote facility of this site ( which I can’t get to work well using an ipad) did not result in the reply/request being very clear. So her goes my second attempt.

Yes please if the offer still stands.

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know there is only one working one left in the UK at Cloughton brick works in North Lancashire, a self acting gravity one

Fascinating.

One of the stages;

Bucket cleaned out.

Just 'it it wi' a bloody gret 'ammer lad, tha's alreet.

Mike.

Mike.

Thank you very much but, er, as a bit of a novice on this site ( and rather computer illiterate, generally) where can I find it ?

Scroll to the very top of the screen and top right, by your name, you should see an envelope symbol. Click on that which will open your messages and you'll find a post, with attachments, there.