Bedford and Comet Bulleid Coach sides (4mm)

Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Quick question about which of Bedford or Comet sides fit the Bachman Bulleids best, or are the Bacys just too short for both? I have used Comet sides on a conversion or two and they are too long. Not used Bedford sides on a Baccy coach (yet) but have on a Hornby Gresley and they were a very fine fit. (Gresley Eastleigh Cafeteria car conversion). 

Thanks,

Phil

IIRC Comet's instructions used to recommend using Lima Mk1s as the base for their Bulleid sides.

Still haven't got round to the ones in my cupboard yet............

John

I found that the original Mainline Mk1s worked well for Bulleids; by sticking the top of the sides to the gutter, I got the slight extra width of the Bulleids at the top where it is needed. The Mainline gutter line is approximately a millimetre too low for accuracy as a Mk1, but perfect for the bulleid sides. I have also used old Triang coaches and Lima ones. The Triang ones are easier to hack because the sides can be removed and cut up to suit.

• RMweb Premium

I found that the original Mainline Mk1s worked well for Bulleids; by sticking the top of the sides to the gutter, I got the slight extra width of the Bulleids at the top where it is needed. The Mainline gutter line is approximately a millimetre too low for accuracy as a Mk1, but perfect for the bulleid sides. I have also used old Triang coaches and Lima ones. The Triang ones are easier to hack because the sides can be removed and cut up to suit.

That's good news as I havw a 'collection' of Manline MK1s lurking somewhere. Thanks for that.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Are the Bedford or Comet sides still available to buy anywhere as I fancy having a go at a Tavern trailer restaurant car, see if I can master a kit coach.

Bedfords, flat and need forming) on Mousa Models site some available immediately (well 28days or so) others on order can take a lonmg time. Comet via Wizard models; already formed.

Have a go with Comet sides on a MK1 donor and do contact me if you need some 'encouragement' to take that mini-drill saw to a plastic coach that looks OK. (Hence the use of old Mk1s and not a recent model). Railroad ones would be OK I suppose? You will need some undergubbins, decent bogies (or just bogies sides), handles and other detailing things to complete of course; great fun but many people have been there and can tell you what you need.

I've got some old MK1s if you want a donor for postage?

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

Most of my conversions so far have been from the solebars upwards - I have been very lazy and not modified the underframes at all. For much of the time, the undergear is not visible or in deep shadow, so ,to date, no one has commented on this at all when seeing my models.

Having said all that, I do intend to do something about the trusses, at least, eventually.

• RMweb Gold

Most of my conversions so far have been from the solebars upwards - I have been very lazy and not modified the underframes at all. For much of the time, the undergear is not visible or in deep shadow, so ,to date, no one has commented on this at all when seeing my models.

Having said all that, I do intend to do something about the trusses, at least, eventually.

From personal experience only, but your first version is admirable, if you intend going down the underframe tittivating route, you might as well buy the whole kit as to me it seems less faff.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

From personal experience only, but your first version is admirable, if you intend going down the underframe tittivating route, you might as well buy the whole kit as to me it seems less faff.

Mike.

Sort of but the whole kit involves about £50 and loads of soldering and full interior fabrication and total paint job. The 'conversion' could be (say) from £0 to £20 for donor, about £12 + post for sides and a few quid for side & UF bits that look better and some faffing with an existing or fabricated interior, a roof refurb and a full repaint. Not too much difference but the latter could be lighter and quicker?

Phartypants.

I always thought doing the roof detailing was more important because that's what everyone does see first on most models.

While the underframe details are generally not obvious in normal service, I think the outside trusses are desirable because they are probably the most obvious visual inaccuracy between the Bulleids and BR Mk1 underframes. Sure, the battery boxes and brake gear are different, but only noticeable close up under good lighting ... and probably only with the carriage upside down on its roof. For the end details, I use card or plasticard to reshape the gangway ends to the more rectangular profile of the Bulleid coaches.

Even the BR1 bogies are not all that different from the Bulleid/Maunsell SR bogies.

• RMweb Premium

I always thought doing the roof detailing was more important because that's what everyone does see first on most models.

While the underframe details are generally not obvious in normal service, I think the outside trusses are desirable because they are probably the most obvious visual inaccuracy between the Bulleids and BR Mk1 underframes. Sure, the battery boxes and brake gear are different, but only noticeable close up under good lighting ... and probably only with the carriage upside down on its roof. For the end details, I use card or plasticard to reshape the gangway ends to the more rectangular profile of the Bulleid coaches.

Even the BR1 bogies are not all that different from the Bulleid/Maunsell SR bogies.

Ummmmm! Depends what 'one' can tolerate on one's layout. Bogies for me need to be the proper job. each to their own of course. 

Yes, you are correct about the roof, especially the water tanks and fillers on Bulleids.

I like to see fairly accurate underframe detail when my coaches fall off and expose themselves :sarcastichand:  :secret:

Wibble Bogies.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sort of but the whole kit involves about £50 and loads of soldering and full interior fabrication and total paint job. The 'conversion' could be (say) from £0 to £20 for donor, about £12 + post for sides and a few quid for side & UF bits that look better and some faffing with an existing or fabricated interior, a roof refurb and a full repaint. Not too much difference but the latter could be lighter and quicker?

Phartypants.

There's some Comet sides on Ebay at the moment Duckypoo.

• RMweb Premium

There's some Comet sides on Ebay at the moment Duckypoo.

Plese tell me where as I can't search that daft site these days.  Not Diagrams I would need thanks Rob.

Appreciate the heads up anyway.

Ta

I.D. Iot

Edited by Mallard60022

Ummmmm! Depends what 'one' can tolerate on one's layout. Bogies for me need to be the proper job. each to their own of course. 

Yes, you are correct about the roof, especially the water tanks and fillers on Bulleids.

I like to see fairly accurate underframe detail when my coaches fall off and expose themselves :sarcastichand:  :secret:

Wibble Bogies.

My coaches tend to stay upright! :P  :jester: 

Actually, that reminded me of an incident on a friend's layout some years ago. He has Exeter Central under his house (nearly to scale, too); DougN and I were there running trains to a sequence. A 10 coach train of Maunsell and Bulleid coaches pulled into the down platform, and the last coach derailed and ran just slightly up the platform end ramp, so was sitting at a slight angle. Doug went to put it back on the track properly but accidentally nudged it instead. The resultant slow-motion domino effect was highly comical, with each coach toppling over and dragging the next one over, one after the other, until all 10 coaches were on their sides, thus (bringing us back on topic, sort of) exposing the underframes.  :D