Basingstoke Show - 10th / 11th March 2018 - Best in Show is Lower Exbury

Western Star

Please form an orderly queue there, tickets available at reasonable prices, a good show is available to all.

A summary of the show - layouts / traders / societies - including directions, disability access, opening times and admission prices can be found here .

This topic has a different take on content this year...  until now I have chosen the photos and I have written the captions, where possible for 2018 I shall be encouraging layout owners to choose their favourite images and write about why their selection is important to them.  This might not be possible for every layout which is attending our show, not least because not every layout owner provides photos.

A freshly laundered Tipfer is waiting after reading about the mis-givings of the Ladies of Sherton Abbas as reported by Wenlock

post-4085-0-89641000-1506241338.jpg

regards, Graham Beare

Edited by Western Star

• 3 weeks later...

The first layout for this topic is one that I have admired from afar (courtesy of RMWeb) and close up...  it would be rude not to as Dock Green has attended a previous Basingstoke Show.  When starting out with this topic I was very aware of how well each new posting from Chas is received and so just posting pictures seemed to be repeating what he has done before.  So I asked Chas if he could select the photos and write the captions with the criteria that the photos are his "favourites" and the captions explain why each photo is a personal favourite.

Over to Chas:-

Dock Green depicts an industrial corner of 1950’s London and this corner epitomises the atmosphere I wanted.

The factory wall on the left was conceived as a screen to hide an off-stage area.

The fire-escape (made from etched brass parts prepared by Peter Harvey) has lifted this to one of my favourite areas.

post-4085-0-35186000-1507998002_thumb.jpg

The busy centre section of the layout is where all the pointwork is located. I designed the layout so that it should be divided into sections by a number of bridges. It has resulted in a number of linked scenes with the

movements of the trains appearing and disappearing between them.

The canal provides the rationale for the only underbridge and was always a must-have for the layout.

post-4085-0-25667800-1507998107.jpg

A number of favourite elements are combined in this picture. An N7 class locomotive (built from

the excellent Connoisseur etched-brass kit) waits for the road at a GNR somersault signal (made

from brass parts by Wizard Models). The bridge was scratchbuilt from plastic sheet and moulded

sections and the brooding retaining walls are foamboard structures faced with embossed plastic

brick sheets.

post-4085-0-36826200-1507998174_thumb.jpg

Dock Green has many interesting details that all contribute to the overall scene without appearing cluttered.

The bridge (scratchbuilt by Peter Culverwell, a good friend), the goods platform with it’s canopy and access

steps, the anonymous hut and the area of stone setts in the foreground all work together to create a

convincing backdrop for the trains.

post-4085-0-99133600-1507998453.jpg

The area at the far end of the layout, under the goods platform canopy, needed something to lift it.

I put an office in place but this didn’t really work, it was too easily overlooked. Putting lights in drew

the eye but only served to reveal that it was empty. I had a lot of fun making a detailed interior with

a coat rack, notice board, filing cabinet, a desk littered with books and papers. A figure (the foreman

or a clerk?) sits on a swivel chair at the desk and keeps an eye on  the work on the platform.

The platform barrows (from brass etches by Peter Harvey) although really quite small have over 

fifty parts soldered together.

post-4085-0-49082600-1507998493_thumb.jpg

So, what do you think about this alternative way of presenting Show layouts?

Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

With a week to go until this exhibition, it has been rather quiet on here, which is a shame as it is a very good exhibition.

Colin

Thanks, I hadn't realised it was so soon and would have missed it - I'll be coming on Saturday.

John

.. it has been rather quiet on here...

Yes, I agree.  I have taken on additional voluntary work in the model railway space, too little time and too much work.

The show is going to go on...  same place as before, same varied layout content as before, some traders as before and some new traders.

The red hat has been cleaned, brushed, pressed so all is tickety boo.

The judge for Best Layout in Show this year is Nigel Smith, current Chairman of the Gauge 0 Guild and part owner of The Engine Shed.

Graham

Not sure if you want layout owners to post these monologues ourselves or send them to you.

Dave.

The original intention was for the owners to select their favourite photos, write the captions and then send both to me.  As of now I am happy for owners to post photos and captions to this topic or to me, either works as the result is photos with informed captions.

thanks Graham

Edited by Western Star

A summary of the show - layouts / traders / societies - including directions, disability access, opening times and admission prices can be found here .

Are there any other layout details, rather than just the name, such as scale/gauge, era/period, location, etc?

G.

As my "local", I normally attend every year. This year however the Saturday clashes with my daughter's birthday party and the Sunday clashes with Mother's Day. This could be tricky....

So it's a straight choice of do you take your daughter or do you take your mum?

G

Carshalton & Sutton MRC are pleased to be showing Falcon Road TMD & Prospect Yard at Basingstoke to weekend.

As Graham has asked for some pictures etc., here's our contribution. We're DCC Sound in 00 but with a gauge of 16.2mm known as 00_SF.

Photos by myself unless otherwise credited.

See you there.

Dave Smith

post-509-0-30193800-1520361598_thumb.jpg

My favourite shot of the Traction Maintenance Depot. We have tried to set a scene showing various activities. Like many layouts, things are always under review and visitors will see some subtle changes around this area.

post-509-0-34548900-1520361597_thumb.jpg

The front end of the shed (time seems to pass so slowly here) finds two staff discussing last night’s football. What you can’t see here is that the lights are on in the two pits inside. Just lately a number of the properties bounding the railway here have had a change of owner including the appearance of a bus garage amongst others.

post-509-0-15764200-1520361596_thumb.jpg

Despite continually endeavouring to keep the fly tippers at bay, someone has managed to dump a couple of old vans just over the boundary fence. I wonder who that was, they’re ex-BR vans!

post-509-0-08176400-1520361599_thumb.jpg

Here’s the first building I constructed for Falcon Road….. I was quite pleased with it at the time but things move on and it probably needs a little updating now. Adding the men, pipework and the signal seemed to bring the scene to life at the time.

post-509-0-73964100-1520361452_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy Chris Nevard/Model Rail.

This shot by Chris Nevard on behalf of Model Rail magazine for an article really brings the freight yard to life. The low relief factory and block of flats are be Skytrex. Painted by myself (factory) and Club member Martin Rudduck gave us both headaches it fair to say. However perseverance in this instance was worthwhile.

post-509-0-87492900-1520361451_thumb.jpg

Photo courtesy Chris Nevard/Model Rail.

Another great shot by Chris. This building is from a Scalescenes kit in a much altered state. I wanted something a bit different to hide the line’s entry into the fiddleyard. The line nearest opens out into the Depot area but in the darkness under the building’s framework another track passes into the fiddleyard behind the backscene.

I will be there with my 0-16.5 layout 'St. Mary's', the terminus of an imaginary extension of the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway.in mid Wales set in the summer of 1930. Passenger ttraffic is still running and the local quarry has running rights in to the station to exchange traffic.

Here are a couple of photos which will show you what to expect.

0GKQt5L.jpg

Photo courtesy of Alan Rolfe

5yII13O.jpg

Wru9Eb9.jpg

I look forward to the show as it is normally very enjoyable.

Julian

Edited by jbe
  • Like 1

This year's show seems to be suffering from a certain degree of neglect. The club hasn't posted on here, their UK Model Shop's entry doesn't include any info on layouts or traders and it's website doesn't bother to tell the potential visitor what scale or gauge the advertised layouts conform to. There is just a bare listing.

I'm wondering whether to go, there is another show at St Neots.

Maybe the first bus is there for people who have arrived at 09.36 using the 08.50 fast train from Waterloo.

Given that we are talking about services at one end of the Alton Light Railway then maybe the Will Hay quip has some merit here:-

"what time is the next train?"

"the next train has gone..."

This year's show seems to be suffering from a certain degree of neglect. The club hasn't posted on here, their UK Model Shop's entry doesn't include any info on layouts or traders and it's website doesn't bother to tell the potential visitor what scale or gauge the advertised layouts conform to. There is just a bare listing.

I'm wondering whether to go, there is another show at St Neots.

The choice is clearly yours to make.

I have been advised that there is disruption to the bus routes on Sunday because of road works on Alencon Link...  and that the heritage bus is likely to use Churchill Way.  Alterations for the Sunday bus service are to be announced on the club web site and I shall try to copy the information here.

See later post of today.

Edited by Western Star

This is the list of layouts which are attending our show in 2018.  For those of you who have looked at the club web site then you may be aware that we have had to make amendments on several occasions in the past few months when layout owners have withdrawn (the most recent being just one week ago).

A Cornish Railway Cornwall 1982 OO http://www.acornishrailwaymodel.co.uk

Brixham Bay 1940s Corwall N

Childrens Corner OO http://www.fareham-mrc.org.uk

Dock Green 1950/60s BR(ER) 7mm (see photos in original post)

End of the Line, industrial sidings, Inglenook shunting puzzle

Falcon Road TMD Industrial/Diesel depot OO (see photos above, thank you Dave of the Carshalton & Sutton club)

Goose Moor Station Stores W Somerset Mineral Rly O-16.5 http://wamrc.co.uk/mere-district-railway-modellers

Hassel Hill Colliery Colliery, BR Steam 7mm  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130242-hassell-hill-colliery/

Lower Exbury 1952 Light Railway P4 https://www.scalefour.org/shows/S4SW2011/exbury.html

Lulworth 1960's BR(SR) OO

Michaelerplatz Austria HO

Makie Road 1980's Scottish MPD OO www.victorymrc.org.uk

Northen Quay North England MPD OO www.victorymrc.org.uk

Peakstone "Blue BR" depot and station N 

Pol Sands Pol Sands 7mm to S7 standard 

Portland Network SouthEast OO http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/108407-portland-nse-in-dorset-3-months-to-exhibition-and-lots-to-do/ 

Red Hook Bay 1940s America HO  http://www.hwdmrs.org.uk/galleries/members-layouts/red-hook-bay-by-mike-carter-2/

St Mary's Welsh narrow gauge O-16.5 www.farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=610 and photos above (thank you Julian)

Seawall Modern South Devon  N

Twelve Trees Junction 1960's Southern BR OO 

Wheal Kate Cornish tin mine OO9 http://www.rdrms.com/wheal-kate.html 

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 2

The Sunday heritage bus service shall depart from Churchill Way, directions from the bus stop in Alencon Link to the bus stop in Churchill Way are to be posted on the Alencon Link stop on Saturday evening, details are on the club website and below.  There is a map showing the walking route on the club website, linked to the "directions" part of the exhibition web page.

Heritage bus service to Model Railway Show: 

Departs from Churchill Way West (SUNDAY only) at 

0950, 1040, 11340, 1240, 1420 & 1520 

Directions from Alencon Link bus stop: 

Cross Alencon Link to front of shopping centre, turn left past bus stops 

until you reach the bronze statue of man with pole. Turn right over steps 

and down passageway to Churchill Way East. Turn right, walk a few 

yards. Bus stop is underneath the town centre.  

Good morning All 

After three works the big day has finally arrived , packed layout up last night , now all that is left to do is load it up in the van , and gather up operators from around the country .

Hope all goes well with everyone that attends , and things in improve for those layouts that could not , ( sorry for you all ) as lots of hard work goes on behind the scenes .

On the weather front here in Cheshire , a beautiful morning , 

See you all at the show .

Thanks