Basingstoke Show - 10th / 11th March 2018 - Best in Show is Lower Exbury

Western Star

My apologies to TimC when including his layout "End of The Line" in the above list of layouts - this layout is not at our show, rather Tim's End of the Line is at Swindon this weekend.

Edited by Western Star

My apologies to TimC when including his layout "End of The Line" in the above list of layouts - this layout is not at our show, rather Tim's End of the Line is at Swindon this weekend.

Just for clarification - the End of the Line which will be appearing at the show is a different layout that happens to go by the same name.

Like all layouts, it is never finished and its owner has informed me that some more has been done to it since the pictures that appear in the link were taken.

Hi,

Hornby Magazine will be running Twelve Trees Junction - its first appearance on Southern Region territory and not originally planned to be at our show.

Regards

Nick Murphy (a BNHMRS member).

• RMweb Gold

Just got back home from a trip to the show. Was great as always, with some fantastic layouts. Was great to see Twelve Trees Junction in the flesh, as well as Portland.

Looking forward to next year's show already.

• Like 1

Hi,

Hornby magazine said they were going to bring 2000 goody bags so there should still be enough for tomorrow, Sunday.

There is the tombola stall if you want to try your luck - we don't want to end up with any prizes left at the end of Sunday.

Regards

Nick Murphy (a BNHMRS member)

For those who spoke to me - or my hat - yesterday, thank you.  I was particularly pleased to speak with members of the Newbury Club.....

NewburyRCClub that is, radio controlled, 1/8" scale touring car racing indoors.

I was taken ill just after the show closed yesterday, I managed to make the dinner because I do the Railway Quiz, I had to pass on the food as my stomach was too sore.  Sick again in the night, aches in ankles and wrists, slept in short periods until 1.30pm.  Sorry if any visitors on Sunday were expecting to pull my leg.

thank you for visiting our show, Graham Beare

Hello 

From the the team that ran "Hassell Colliery " we would like to thank Basingstoke model railway club for inviting us , we had a good weekend and were well looked after .

We had a good trip back North , so all in all a very good weekend .

Thanks 

Although logged in using my husband's account, I'd like to record that my "Lower Exbury" was judged to be 'Best Layout in the Show' on Saturday - and express my utter surprise & delight that as the owner (but not creator) I was presented with this year's shield. There was a huge smile on my face for hours!! Alison

• Like 1

Although logged in using my husband's account, I'd like to record that my "Lower Exbury" was judged to be 'Best Layout in the Show' on Saturday...

Alison

Almost every year that I have organised this competition either I or the winner have been the target of unwarranted suggestions that the Judge was blind, bought, biased...  or just not paying attention.  So to head off any comments this year:-

1/ the Judge was Nigel Smith, current Chairman of the Gauge 0 Guild and part owner of "The Engine Shed" and "East Dean";

2/ Nigel was asked to judge the layouts on the theme of "Most likely to inspire me to go home and make a model".

Lower Exbury is a deserved winner in that the layout is small and well-presented, both factors which can encourage a layout within the home.  The layout has a most attractive appearance and offers plenty of operational potential.  Finally, anyone so inspired by this layout could have bought most of the kits / parts and materials from traders at the show (well not baseboards... we are working on that).

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed bringing St. Mary's to the Basingstoke show. There were lots of people to talk with - both enthusiasts and families - pleasing layouts and some tempting trade.

I don't think there should be any concerns about Lower Exbury winning the prize - a delightfully tranquil layout.

Back next year with Haydon Square!

Julian

As usual, the Team from Carshalton & Sutton MRC really enjoyed our weekend operating Falcon Road TMD.

Thanks to the Basingstoke lot for a well organised show. Our fourth visit in 5 years. We've only got one layout left in our repetoire to bring, '8 Dollar Canyon'. Fingers crossed.

Regards

Dave Smith