Hull Paragon

Thanks to everyone for their very informative and supportive input.

I spoke to Laurie Lynch at JLTRT this morning and he is able to supply the cabs. However, we talked in detail about the problems with the profiles being different and I felt that I didn't want to go down the route of having to adjust everything to fit.....again so I took the easy way out. Laurie offered me a generous discount and I opted to buy the whole kit. I know it's expensive (ie I have bought 2 kits), but I am sure that I will get some of my money back if/when I sell the part completed PRMRP stuff. There will be an enterprising person out there who will enjoy the challenge I'm sure.

I still have an old PRMRP Class 31 which has to be built so I will have a go at that but with the additional experience of trying to build this one as a benchmark!

I'm not sure if anyone at PRMRP has seen any of the comments in these posts....there is no response from them so I suspect not. There may be reasons why the kits haven't been modernised which no one is aware of.....I'll ask them when I see them at the Reading show in December. I don't feel that it is right or proper to level excessive criticism at companies/suppliers in these posts, but on the other hand, my concern is that future 7mm enthusiasts might be tempted by the low price and find the construction beyond their capabilities. it might put them off the hobby for life! Scratchbuilding will not be everyone's cup of tea......

In the meantime, as I await the JLTRT kit, I am going to progress my track layout which has been on the back burner for a while.

Ray

• Like 1

<<my concern is that future 7mm enthusiasts might be tempted by the low price and find the construction beyond their capabilities>>

Agreed - but I have explained how all this has come about in my previous post. My point is though, that the prices are not low for what you get. As a comparison, our own MMP Class 47 was only £199.90 when it was last available, two or three years ago - and that included VAT!

Edited by djparkins

I still have an old PRMRP Class 31 which has to be built so I will have a go at that but with the additional experience of trying to build this one as a benchmark!

No offence to those concerned, but I don't think your experience will be any different from the class 50, and possibly worse as the cab is a bit more complicated and fiddly. If it were me I would wait until MMP rerelease their 31 kit as the cabs are preformed resin mouldings, taking all the fuss out of the procedure completely. It's also an easier kit to build, despite being infinitely more detailed, and as far as value for money goes there is no comparison to any kit.

No offence to those concerned, but I don't think your experience will be any different from the class 50, and possibly worse as the cab is a bit more complicated and fiddly. If it were me I would wait until MMP rerelease their 31 kit as the cabs are preformed resin mouldings, taking all the fuss out of the procedure completely. It's also an easier kit to build, despite being infinitely more detailed, and as far as value for money goes there is no comparison to any kit.

I think you might be right!

<<my concern is that future 7mm enthusiasts might be tempted by the low price and find the construction beyond their capabilities>>

Agreed - but I have explained how all this has come about in my previous post. My point is though, that the prices are not low for what you get. As a comparison, our own MMP Class 47 was only £199.90 when it was last available, two or three years ago - and that included VAT!

A very fair comment....Thanks.

And trust me, they are incomparable...the detail on MMP kits has to be seen to be believed.

• 6 months later...

The Class 50 saga came to an end not too long ago. I finished 50043 Eagle in large logo livery and gave it as a present to my son. (it's a long story!)

The JLTRT kit was superior to the PRMRP kit in almost every respect although the JLTRT kit wasn't without issues. Still, I went through a steep and sticky learning curve, using runny superglue for example. I did all the painting myself which I have never attempted before - except grey primer out of a Halford's can..... It took a long time to get the yellow right and eventually it dawned on me that white primer was better than grey as a base....I had a lot of trouble keeping the glazing clear but at long range no one will notice. The Railtec transfers look superb and after a coat of Testors Dullcote.....it was finally done......which closes the thread for me and will allow me to get my garden railway track built........

Ray

post-32699-0-76223400-1527709703_thumb.jpg

• Like 2