Curved back scenes on foam board?

Nick G

For my current build I wouldn't mind the back scene mounted on 5mm foam board but curved at both ends rather than a back and 2 ends. Anyone any experience of this as to how it stands the test of time regards cracking or anything? 

You would need to make a series of vertical cuts in the back of the foam board to make it curve. The cut would need to go through the back paper and the foam, but do not cut through into the front paper. The cuts will start at the beginning of the curve (top-to-bottom as I've said) at every, say 10 - 15mm, until you get to the end of the curve. This is called Kerfing if you wish to google it.

A curved template or former glued to the back will be needed to keep the curve at the right radius.

We do this on sheets of ply when we want to curve it to a tight radius (Similarly with solid timber, although the old folks would prefer to steam the timber to a high temperature to loosen all the fibers in the wood and then curve it, clamping it in place until the timber cooled down, but I digress)..

You would need to make a series of vertical cuts in the back of the foam board to make it curve. The cut would need to go through the back paper and the foam, but do not cut through into the front paper. The cuts will start at the beginning of the curve (top-to-bottom as I've said) at every, say 10 - 15mm, until you get to the end of the curve. This is called Kerfing if you wish to google it.

That's interesting, thanks.

If you're willing to go for a different material I've just ordered 2mm ply to do a curved backscene. I think Chris Leigh has successfully used it on one of his layouts (Calcott?). If I can't quite get the bend I want I'll be sticking the wallpaper steamer on it...

• 3 weeks later...

Do you already have the prints for the backscene? Reason I ask is I've been experimenting with printing and curving some board I have which has been very successful - obviously only of any use if it's a digital image you have.

Do you already have the prints for the backscene? 

Yes, photos of the real location I am modelling were taken and stitched together, here is a low resolution version.

On advice the image is being printed on 3mm Foamex which should be back with me tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out.

post-7968-0-25675000-1508775870_thumb.jpg

Or bendy mdf. Would need to be sealed though.

I would second the bendy MDF suggestion, if it's not too late. This is what I used for Midland in Bristol. The flat section in the middle of two 9mm bendy bits is plain 9mm MDF, butt jointed and filled with 2 pack filler and sanded smooth. Then roller painted with white smooth masonry paint - covers better than ordinary emulsion (on ceilings as well...!)