Hugh Longworth's book on pre-Nationalisation coaching stock

Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Premium

This was due to be published back in June but no sign of it.

Anyone know when/if it'll appear?

That's a vast subject - the British railway carriage from 1825 to 1948 - why stop at nationalisation if going for such a wide-ranging coverage?

That's a vast subject - the British railway carriage from 1825 to 1948 - why stop at nationalisation if going for such a wide-ranging coverage?

Probably because he's already done the Mark One and Mark Twos.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BR-Mark-Coaching-Stock/dp/0860936503/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1506865157&sr=1-6&keywords=mark+one+coaches

Jason

• RMweb Premium

The actual title is "British Railways GWR/LNER Pre-Nationalisation Coaching Stock", so apologies if I gave the wrong impression as to its content.

But hopefully you get the drift.....

Oh I see - ex GWR and ex-LNER stock in BR days? Isn't "pre-nationalisation" in the title redundant or confusing? Is he including stock to GWR and LNER designs ordered, built, or entering service after 1 January 1948? Essery & Jenkinson's The LMS Coach was complete in this respect.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

I'm just letting you know that the book is with the publishers (Crecy), and it will hopefully be available within a few months.  And volume 2 will follow to complete the subject.

It is very similar to by BR Mark 1 & Mark 2 book (and also my EMU and DMU books).  It is a massive subject and when I started I had a vague idea it might be one volume.  I've been searching through archives and making a lot of contacts, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of information that is there when you start digging.

It will include all carriage stock (including NPCS) that was inherited by British Railways (from the Big Four and pre-grouping companies), as well as stock built by BR to pre-nationalisation designs.  I'm sure it will fill a gap.

I've been amazed to find the wide variety of stock that BR acquired, including 4 wheel and six wheeled stock, with some dating back to the 1890s.

Just to whet your appetite, this first volume contains 1168 diagrams and 9876 vehicles in the LNER section and 624 diagrams and 9876 vehicles in the GWR section.

I hope you enjoy it. Volume 2 should follow on in 6-9 months DV.

Hugh Longworth

• Like 12

• 1 month later...

I can understand why LNER/GWR and later LMS/SR stock are assembled into two volumes - to balance the page counts. What is frustrating as an LNER aficionado is having to pay for all of the GWR stuff which, with the exception of tenuous relevance to the Scotland-West Country workings, is of no interest at all. There were through alternate workings between the SR and LNER that would make that combination more meaningful.

To my mind, the logical approach would be to have the LNER and LMS stock in individual volumes and combine the GWR and SR.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I'm just letting you know that the book is with the publishers (Crecy), and it will hopefully be available within a few months.  And volume 2 will follow to complete the subject.

Hugh Longworth

Hello,

Are their any updates to the publishing date. Secondly are the Pullman coaches covered and if so in which volume?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys

It is very similar to by BR Mark 1 & Mark 2 book (and also my EMU and DMU books).  It is a massive subject and when I started I had a vague idea it might be one volume.  I've been searching through archives and making a lot of contacts, and I'm pleasantly surprised at the amount of information that is there when you start digging.

It will include all carriage stock (including NPCS) that was inherited by British Railways (from the Big Four and pre-grouping companies), as well as stock built by BR to pre-nationalisation designs.  I'm sure it will fill a gap.

I've been amazed to find the wide variety of stock that BR acquired, including 4 wheel and six wheeled stock, with some dating back to the 1890s.

Just to whet your appetite, this first volume contains 1168 diagrams and 9876 vehicles in the LNER section and 624 diagrams and 9876 vehicles in the GWR section.

Hugh Longworth

Excellent news, 1168 LNER diagrams, that will keep a few people busy modelling.

• RMweb Gold

That is amazing, since the LNER itself issued only about 400 including NPCS and modifications to pre-Grouping stock vehicles.

Presuming it's similar in format to the Mk1 and MU books, I think Hugh means that each coach type will be illustrated with a thumbnail diagram in it's respective heading, not that there will be official LNER drawings in the book.

Mike.

Presuming it's similar in format to the Mk1 and MU books, I think Hugh means that each coach type will be illustrated with a thumbnail diagram in it's respective heading, not that there will be official LNER drawings in the book.

Mike.

If they are the same then the thumbnails are taken from the official Diagrams, of which the LNER issued less than 400 for coaching stock.

• RMweb Premium

If they are the same then the thumbnails are taken from the official Diagrams, of which the LNER issued less than 400 for coaching stock.

Even so I am looking forward to its publication, if it and the LMS-SR book are as good and as informative as the EMU, DMU and BR coaching books I am in the que already.

• 2 weeks later...

Still no sign of said book though...............................

A fellow author (if indeed you are the esteemed author of Modeller's Guide to Modern British Rail Motive Power) ought to know how long it takes to publish things, and that "with the publisher" and "few months" can possibly mean anything from "it's printing as we speak" down to "they're reviewing the manuscript and doing their costings before sending it out to a copy-editor/typesetter" :read:  So, anything from 1 month from Hugh's post up to maybe 6 months. And that's assuming they aren't holding it back to tie publication into a specific event.

Edited by DavidH

So, either Hugh has

1... found 700 and odd unknown LNER diagrams.

2....used BR diagrams.

3....drawn some more.

Whichever way, this excellent book will be well illustrated.

Mike.

Or 4 ... not just LNER, as mark54 pointed out ...

Hugh's reply: "It will include all carriage stock (including NPCS) that was inherited by British Railways (from the Big Four and pre-grouping companies), as well as stock built by BR to pre-nationalisation designs.  ... I've been amazed to find the wide variety of stock that BR acquired, including 4 wheel and six wheeled stock, with some dating back to the 1890s."

Edited by DavidH

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi guys

Crecy seem to be moving slowly since they took over from Ian Allan. However, some long promised books have appeared in recent weeks, so it looks like the log-jam might be clearing.

With regard to my Pre-nationalisation Coaching Stock book, Volume 1 is moving at last and is being prepared for printing.  I was told early last year they were aiming to get it out at Warley (last December), so maybe it is aiming for Warley this year.

The delay has meant that Volume 2 is almost finished now as well.  SR and LMS (including CLC) and also Pullman cars post 1948.  It's looking good.  I'm also trying to get a definitive list of SR hauled sets together.

In answer to the earlier question about number of diagrams, I not only include diagrams for Big Four built coaches (e.g. 370 odd for the LNER), but all pre-grouping coaches that survived after 1948 (which accounts for the rest).  Many of these earlier coaches came in small groups of less than 10 which accounts for the large number of diagrams).

Hope this helps.

Hugh

• Like 4