Limited edition 66

Shoey

• RMweb Premium

Oh very nice. That will be Shed number 20 for my growing collection. Website says estimated arrival 15th January 2018. Presumably that's when Rails Maritime One and Locomotions Evening Star are also arriving.

I've got this one saved in my cart. Didn't complete the transaction as it looks as if TMC take the money straight away, and my piggy bank took a hammering at Wigan Show yesterday so I need to wait for some funds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Oh very nice. That will be Shed number 20 for my growing collection. Website says estimated arrival 15th January 2018. Presumably that's when Rails Maritime One and Locomotions Evening Star are also arriving.

I've got this one saved in my cart. Didn't complete the transaction as it looks as if TMC take the money straight away, and my piggy bank took a hammering at Wigan Show yesterday so I need to wait for some funds.

We are happy to take pre-orders over the phone without payment. Website orders are slightly different as the system takes the payment upfront.

Fab!. Expect a phone call from yours truly tomorrow :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I’ve ordered one of these models and the service and communication from Chris at TMC is excellent. I will look forward to getting it in Feb.

The model is correct as shown and the cab end brandings were added later. Flickr search has photos in Feb/Mar without. Even ended up with a graffiti tag at one end and then further images dated June onwards show the addition of the cab end logos.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

‘SILK ROAD’ LIVERY CLASS 66 FOR TMC

TMC have commissioned a Class 66 locomotive No. 66136 which carries the Yiwu – London branding as well as full DB red livery. This train is known as the ‘Silk Road’ freight which is derived from the ancient trade route which conveyed Chinese silk and other goods overland on horseback to Europe and elsewhere.

Yiwu in Eastern China is the starting point of a weekly freight service which transports containers by rail, London becoming the 15th European destination of these trains with some twenty more planned for future implementation. The journey of some seven and a half thousand miles takes around 14 days by rail which after leaving China travelled via Kazakhstan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Germany, Belgium and France enters the UK via the Channel Tunnel. Because of gauge changes, the containers are transferred twice on to different container wagons, these changes taking place at the borders of China/Kazakhstan and Belarus/Poland.  Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan all use a track gauge just a fraction under 5ft, whilst China, Poland, France and the UK all use standard gauge 4ft 81/2”. Transferring containers from one rake of wagons to the next, is certainly quicker than bogie changes which can take several hours. The service is quicker than the journey by sea and offers faster loading and unloading times. It is also much cheaper than the equivalent air freight costs.

The locomotive was prepared for the arrival of the first train on 18th January 2017 in front of the assembled press at Barking Rail Freight Terminal. The Yiwu – London graphics were applied for the launch event and it is in the condition that the locomotive is being manufactured.

The Bachmann OO Scale model (32-738Z) produced exclusively for TMC will be available early in the new year. Alternatively, the model can be weathered by TMC for an additional £30. For further information please contact TMC.

PLEASE NOTE:

Our website automatically takes payment for all orders at the time of placing the order, if you wish to pre-order this product and not pay up front, this is possible by placing the order over the phone, please call us on 01947 899125

View the product on our website here:

post-12002-0-79461300-1513354432_thumb.jpg

Edited by tmc
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I do really like it and have most of the special edition sheds in my collection but have to say it does have an eye watering price if you want to add the end logo detail pushing it up to £184.95, personally I feel this should be included in the £169.95 selling price whether or not they are fitted at the point of manufacture.

I would eventually purchase it but not for a few months post release and if they have sold out when I have decided to buy then so be it, my wallet can't take this hit just yet as I've pre-ordered both sheds from Rails and the Colas/DRS 47's Rep specials.

Fingers crossed there is stock left later in 2018, btw how many of these are being made?

Hi

I'm not sure what you mean here. The end transfer details are included on the model when purchased. The fifteen pounds is an option to pay if you wish the pipes and detailing parts added for you.

Apologies if I've misinterpreted your point.

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

• RMweb Premium

I do really like it and have most of the special edition sheds in my collection but have to say it does have an eye watering price if you want to add the end logo detail pushing it up to £184.95, personally I feel this should be included in the £169.95 selling price whether or not they are fitted at the point of manufacture.

I would eventually purchase it but not for a few months post release and if they have sold out when I have decided to buy then so be it, my wallet can't take this hit just yet as I've pre-ordered both sheds from Rails and the Colas/DRS 47's Rep specials.

Fingers crossed there is stock left later in 2018, btw how many of these are being made?

Couldn't have put this any better. 

I don't wish to start a thread about price increases but £185 for a 66 no matter Limited Edition or not is exceptionally high. This is the highest price ever for a brand new Bachmann Class 66. I also did really want this loco but when I saw the additional £15 for logos on the cab ends it really put me off. Not because I begrudge paying an extra £15 it's more the principle of been charged extra if you want the up to date prototypical loco rather than the loco before it received the cab end logos. As if £170 for a loco isn't enough. 

I should imagine their will be at least 504 models as this is usually the minimum for Limited Edition batch sizes. Or their could be 512, 750 or 1000 models depending on just how limited the individual model is. 

Don't get me wrong I wish TMC all the best with this Limited Edition as the model is really nice it's just a shame about the price. 

Hi

I'm not sure what you mean here. The end transfer details are included on the model when purchased. The fifteen pounds is an option to pay if you wish the pipes and detailing parts added for you.

Stephen

No worries, but no the extra £15 is to add the front end logos on top of the £169.95 list price and then an extra £10-£15 more if you want the parts pack fitted to either one or both ends.

Check the link to the product and extra costs here: https://www.themodelcentre.com/32-738Z/

Cheers

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Stephen

To my knowledge their is an additional £15 if you want the cab end logos adding. Making the price for the loco £185 or thereabouts. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

In the last update from TMC they say-

The locomotive was prepared for the arrival of the first train on 18th January 2017 in front of the assembled press at Barking Rail Freight Terminal. The Yiwu – London graphics were applied for the launch event and it is in the condition that the locomotive is being manufactured.

I was taking this as the front end wording was being added at the time of manufacture. As per their December picture.

Regards

Stephen

Edited by ayrmrg

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

In the last update from TMC they say-

I was taking this as the front end wording was being added at the time of manufacture.

Regards

Stephen

Too be honest so did I and then I went to their product page and saw it was an extra cost unless it is now part of the £169.95 price and they haven't updated their website???

Even their post above shows the model with extra logo's but they only mention the extra £30 for weathering, maybe TMC can confirm please?

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

Actually, this is rather misleading from TMC. The loco at the head of the first inbound service from China, which arrived on 18th January 2017, was 92 015.

This was kitted out with relevant silk road graphics on the side, but just a standard DB logo on the front.

post-22167-0-71697800-1514672958.jpeg

(not my photo)

In April 2017, the first return leg service, London to China had a fanfare launch, and this was indeed a specially prepared 66 136, which had graphics on the side and the front. As it is the Class 66 that TMC are doing, I would have expected that ALL graphics should be on the loco, and that buyers should not have to pay a premium to have it looking as it was for the launch event.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tunnel_one/33930725626/in/photolist-TGkQAN-pegMnH-WXX6jC-WBNb3b-eJ5S9Z-TDnRSQ-6PLhmT-VyfBSP-ejX3F4-Usgd6W-8x8WH3-aAfyCP-aCvm8Q-qtFuWD-6HW6xv-4qHHd6-4e436F-aAigJu-6xoCQd-5TgmiJ-8xGjRs-pyttsL-pNM9m5-dnzPFf-8x7PbV-afzfNr-VxmVQB-8wPXc6-6obQJc-dnQHZ1-CMiHns-8wPUm2-X1pw2o-iuHAEG-Vye1e6-j5MMLL-5z9xZV-gvmfeG-SWdnbm-WozHMu-6pt3br-6w9Shg-UFSoQJ-a1QAhU-pQSBUt-pQWPvd-TBW4Zi-8x6bpK-8wQAVr-6ofV93

Inbound Service from China: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/first-china-to-uk-rail-freight-service-arrives-in-london.html

Outbound Service to China: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/freight/single-view/view/london-joins-the-silk-road-as-uk-china-rail-freight-service-sets-off.html

Mike

• Like 1

The way I read it too is that the graphics will be applied as standard from factory. I’m just wondering whether the higher price is 1) it being a limited edition and 2) maybe it has slight lighting modifications. As previous Bachmann 66’s have a top marker LED and just a single day time running position headlight LED. Whereas this prototype has newer style lighting arrangement having all 4 “headlights” illuminated... just a thought?

post-27853-0-77905500-1514834396_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Shoey

Actually, this is rather misleading from TMC. The loco at the head of the first inbound service from China, which arrived on 18th January 2017, was 92 015.

66136 was prepared for the January launch, it pushed the 92 and the train through the banner. You can just see it at the rear in the photo.

66136 was prepared for the January launch, it pushed the 92 and the train through the banner. You can just see it at the rear in the photo.

I noticed there isn't any electrification on that line and the 92's panto wasn't raised (obviously) thus wondered there must have been another diesel powered loco at the other end and now we know which one.

Hi

Just read the TMC advert in Brm. It states clearly " Please note, front detail" First London - Yiwu train" & logos are available for an additional £15.00. So there it is. You are paying extra for the transfer! Hth

Stephen

Hi

Just read the TMC advert in Brm. It states clearly " Please note, front detail" First London - Yiwu train" & logos are available for an additional £15.00. So there it is. You are paying extra for the transfer! Hth

Stephen

Well TMC that's a bit rude...£184.95 :nono:

Edited by classy52

• RMweb Premium

If I'm honest I am a big Class 66 fan. Like them or loathe them they are important to modern image modellers. 

I have several of them and I continue to buy more including the more expensive ones but £185 for one loco is really expensive. 

I am more than willing to support retailers, charities etc with Limited Edition models but I think that a line has to be drawn when seeing a price like this. 

I did want this loco and at £170 which I assumed it would be priced at in line with other Limited Edition 66s I was hoping to afford it but at £185 which is ever nearer to the £200 mark for one Class 66 is in my opinion unaffordable and unreachable. I can't and I am sure many others can't justify paying this for one loco. 

Also from my point of view the cab end logos should come fitted to the loco for the original price of £170 considering that this is the locos current condition. Customers shouldn't be penalised with a price increase if they want to buy the loco in it's current guise. 

I am not quite seeing the idea behind producing a new Limited Edition model in a previous guise, when it has a more recent guise and expecting to charge extra for the updated guise. 

It would be nice if TMC could provide a reason/justification for this rather than just asking for extra money via their website. 

If you are expecting customers to pay £185 for one loco I think an explanation as to why the extra £15 is needed for logos is the least that they could do.