Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2018

br2975

Not wishing to be pedantic Brian, but just helpful in that Graham Mann's new layout now has the name 'Wokinghurst' and Brian Tucker's latest Canadian venture is now titled "Burrard Inlet". Both are our show in April too.

I think Graham's original title was Effing Hill, but I suggested a change!

• Like 2

Hi Philou here,

Can I give an unashamed plug for my brother? He's Peter, the Lord bit of Lord and Butler. If some of you going to the show could say 'hello' to him on my behalf - be a surprise for him :). I can't go as I am about 600 miles away.

Cheers and enjoy the day,

Philip

• Like 2

Hi Philou here,

Can I give an unashamed plug for my brother? He's Peter, the Lord bit of Lord and Butler. If some of you going to the show could say 'hello' to him on my behalf - be a surprise for him :). I can't go as I am about 600 miles away.

Cheers and enjoy the day,

Philip

I was down the shop earlier today and he relieved me of a fair sum. I did shock him when I asked "Do you take cash?"!

• RMweb Gold

Be glad to Phil.

Peter plays a large part in what is a very enjoyable day for all concerned.

Rob

• Like 1

@valleymodeller

Even being his brother and trying to resist as much as possible, I think his till has some hypnotic effect on my wallet whenever I get to go there ;) . Seems to work over the 'phone too :( .

@nhy581

I've was lucky enough to be in Cardiff once the same weekend as the show - quite well done for what was a 'small show'! I think he enjoys being part of it too.

Have a good day all!

Philip

Edited by Philou

I was down the shop earlier today and he relieved me of a fair sum. I did

shock him when I asked "Do you take cash?"!

I was at the shop also, but Peter and Adrian won't dine out on the paltry sum I spent on second copy of " Visions of steam" by Cavalier & Silcock. A must for all lovers of the NCB in South Wales.
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the show in 2016, and having had to miss last year hope to get over tomorrow,

is there an RMweb code word to use on arrival, or just the funny handshake?

cheers

The codeword will be "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy" The response will be "Hello Night Hawk"

For those unable to grasp such complexities, I will be the handsome chap in the black pullover displaying the name of my favourite, local football team !

Stop me for a chat

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I enjoyed the show in 2016, and having had to miss last year hope to get over tomorrow,

is there an RMweb code word to use on arrival, or just the funny handshake?

Just give your RM name and we will charge you double !

The codeword will be "Broadsword calling Danny Boy, Broadsword calling Danny Boy" The response will be "Hello Night Hawk"

For those unable to grasp such complexities, I will be the handsome chap in the black pullover displaying the name of my favourite, local football team !

Stop me for a chat

I take it that will be Swansea, then (other teams are, of course, available - although I must admit that I've never been the most dedicated follower of soccer, as I generally prefer my "football" to a different code with a different shaped ball).

Alternatively, for those of us who can't be bothered with jumping through hoops and all the other malarkey mentioned in the posts above, there's always a much simpler approach, as mentioned in a thread about "Ally Pally" 2014:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82873-the-london-festival-of-railway-modelling-2014-march-2223/page-4&do=findComment&comment=1388199

Whether I'd bother with badges is another matter completely - although, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, my appearance is so distinctive that anyone who so wishes would probably have little difficulty in recognising me.

This assumes, of course, that I can actually pull myself away from the snooker to get there.

Huw.

• Like 1

Fantastic show this year, great layouts, demonstrations and very friendly.  Much better than the "Big" Cardiff show later in the year (unless you're a fan of GWR steam of course).  Only 1 negative point, you could do with a bigger venue next year as it did get rather claustrophobic, but despite that, as I said, a fantastic show and well done to all those involved.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A quick note. Thanks to all who travelled to the show today.

Humbled by the kind comments about Mutton which behaved itself with only a couple of minor gliches.

It did seem a lot busier than last year.

Very enjoyable.

Home, unloaded and now with beer. Tidy.

Rob.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

This is what I intend to wear to exhibitions where there could be a RMW presence.

post-2326-0-08165900-1516472540_thumb.jpg

I CBA to wear a badge as those are a silly idea.

I wasn't at Cardiff today sadly but I do hope Mutton could get invited to something over this way. Free B & B at Duck Towers to save money if that is a plus point to the show organisers?

Phart

I do not think that wearing a name badge is a silly idea at all.  I wear one just in case anyone wants to know who I am.  I seem to recall that Mr Mallard was wearing one on the day we met.

Sorry about that, folks.  I made the trek to Cardiff today and enjoyed the show.  It was good to meet so many RMwebbers, some for the first time.  I was very taken by Mutton, so tonight's homework is to read the thread.  I am also pleased to relate that I made it home without hitting a deer or anything else, unlike last year.

Well done to the Rolley brothers for another cracking show!

Chris

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I do not think that wearing a name badge is a silly idea at all.  I wear one just in case anyone wants to know who I am.  I seem to recall that Mr Mallard was wearing one on the day we met.

Sorry about that, folks.  I made the trek to Cardiff today and enjoyed the show.  It was good to meet so many RMwebbers, some for the first time.  I was very taken by Mutton, so tonight's homework is to read the thread.  I am also pleased to relate that I made it home without hitting a deer or anything else, unlike last year.

Well done to the Rolley brothers for another cracking show!

Chris

Correct. I was fibbing about badges of course.

I do admire your travel stamina to exhibitions Chris. Admirable.

Phil

May I just thank all those who exhibited, demonstrated and  visited (especially the numerous RMwebbers who travelled from far and wide), and also those who fed & watered all present for contributing to an excellent day.

The quality of modelling on show was first class, and the atmosphere extremely friendly and helpful.

Here are just a few images of the day.

Thank you all again,

Brian R & Paul R (aka naturol)

post-1599-0-21031600-1516476101_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-43832900-1516476113_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-65842000-1516476127_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-36455100-1516476186_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-61563600-1516476212_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-41233700-1516476229_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-39361200-1516476243_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-01255900-1516476257_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-35688800-1516476274_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-07276300-1516477095_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-74229600-1516477116_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-82267800-1516477130_thumb.jpg

Edited by br2975
  • Like 17

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting up some pictures, it does indeed look a busy day with a lot of visitors and I hope your daughter managed to keep everyone in line!

I see the great Mr Masterman made a video which I've just seen and it can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeTbAXSEuZk.

Apologies once again that myself and Tunnock Yard weren't able to make it, but having had a really bad flu for the last three weeks stopped me from getting things ready to show at least in WIP form.

Still I hope everyone had a great day!

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It certainly was a great day - so glad we made the trip down, don't think I have ever been to such a friendly show before. Great to see so many RMWebbers, including old friends and new ones too

And some super layouts!

Has to be in the diary for future visits....

Thanks to all for the effort involve in making it so good - hope it was successful in other ways too!

Kind regards

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Hi Philou here,

Well! It looks as if I missed a cracking 'small' show. Saw the video - thank you Mr Masterman for sharing - at least I and probably many others have had a taster of what it was like.

If it's on again next year, I'll certainly try to get there.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou

Well, we're both back home and tucked up in bed now.....don't be rude at the back.......after a splendid day at Cardiff! Great show, great atmos, looked after royally and to cap it all had a very enjoyable little chat (for me anyway!) with the legend that is Hywel Thomas of Morfa Bank Sidings fame! The train set behaved reasonably well and we had a few nice comments and interesting discussions with people.

In fact the only disappointment was the fact Messrs Crowley and Smith couldnt attend for whatever reasons. I was looking forward to seeing their efforts. Having said that, there was still plenty to enjoy!

Disgusting of Market Harborough

• Like 2