Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2018

br2975

An enjoyable day out , time went so quick , had no time for dinner ! Great to meet up and talk to so many people , some of who I've forgotten their names, spent the day making steel coils from card and doing my concrete effect with cheap paints , which always seems to get people's attention. So would like to thank lord and butler , the brothers Rolley , Richard Flannigan for helping Josh operate Crossley scrapyard, and finally and importantly all the people who came to support the show. Roll on next year , just have to start the next layout

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As a number of other people have already commented, this was a very enjoyable show. I really liked the modelling - and, far more important, I really liked all the people I met / had a chat with (including all the people on the "other side of the table" - somewhere I'm never likely to find myself).

The show also allowed me to source some key parts for a couple of long term modelmaking projects (as long as they never get completed, I can't see anyone getting too worried ...).

OK - I've still got to find a couple of other components - plus the time to do something with them - but at least I'm getting close to the point where I might be able to think about perhaps considering the vague possibility of maybe starting to do something interesting. Well, you don't expect me to promise the impossible - do you?

Some people have commented about the size of the venue and show - it clearly isn't "Ally Pally" (where I usually find myself this weekend - not for the snooker - but for the London Model Engineering show). I don't deny that I enjoy big shows, but local shows / club open days offer something that isn't always available at big shows - the chance to have a proper conversation with exhibitors. If you try to do this at "Warley", or the BRM shows - if you try asking any demonstrator any really detailed questions - if you try asking a layout exhibitor how they built something - it'll probably be a matter of seconds before you become aware of a long queue of "punters" getting very impatient (or performing their world famous vanishing act).

Now for the question to which some people here might like the answer - as this was my first visit to this show, am I likely to visit again in future? I think so - and also getting the chance to put faces to a number of RMweb members' "board names" was a major bonus for me.

OK - I'd prefer it if there weren't the clash with the London Model Engineering Show and "The Masters" snooker.

I'd also be tempted to say that I'd prefer it if the Bristol O Gauge show weren't the same weekend most years - however, as I can't sensibly get to and from the latter show by public transport, I probably shouldn't be concerning myself with that. Such is life.

Anyway, returning to this Cardiff show, I certainly enjoyed my visit - I look forward to visiting in future years - and I hope this show thrives. It certainly deserves to - and I'd like to take this chance to express my thanks to everyone who helped to make this show such an enjoyable experience.

Regards,

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

An enjoyable day out , time went so quick , had no time for dinner ! Great to meet up and talk to so many people , some of who I've forgotten their names, spent the day making steel coils from card and doing my concrete effect with cheap paints , which always seems to get people's attention. So would like to thank lord and butler , the brothers Rolley , Richard Flannigan for helping Josh operate Crossley scrapyard, and finally and importantly all the people who came to support the show. Roll on next year , just have to start the next layout

Those coils were impressive Baz. Great stuff thanks for sharing

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And I was talking to Gwyn - sorry cant remember any more details - yesterday about 3d printed servo mounts . He mentioned facebook or ebay but cant find him on either - can anyone help please - or is Gwyn on RMweb?

Cheers

Phil

I had a thoroughly good day out helping Graham Mann on Wokinghurst. Despite the fact some young child managed to run his hands over the track and break some of the 3rd Rail!! it got fixed though.

My main learning experience for when offering to help at an exhibition is to help on a micro layout not a 20 foot long thing that saps the strength. It was good to chat to so many people.

And also to advise that Brian Tucker's excellent Burrard Inlet Canadian loco shed can be seen again at the Pontypridd Show in April. As can Rob Gunstone's (of Mutton fame) other layout Sheep Lane. Wokinghurst will also be there with more detail added by then, and Baz & Josh from Crossley Scrap will be coming with Shepcote Lane. Shepcote Lane is worth the entry fee alone just to see the working wagon tipple.

Shameless plug over.

There was a great atmosphere at the show, and the centre part , which was not at the previous two shows, added even more layouts. But it was quite a jam at sometime when the hall was packed.

Looking forward to next year.

Tony

I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon.

Generally at an exhibition there are one or two layouts that do not hold my attention for long for whatever reason, and I soon move on to the next.

Yesterday at Cardiff every layout had something to attract me, and I found that I had an interesting conversation with at least one member

of the team operating each one of them.

Thank you to everyone who was involved in the show,

cheers

• Like 3

And I was talking to Gwyn - sorry cant remember any more details - yesterday about 3d printed servo mounts . He mentioned facebook or ebay but cant find him on either - can anyone help please - or is Gwyn on RMweb?

Cheers

Phil

Phil,

Are you sure it wasn't Julian Wynn of Dragon Models, who was selling motors and 7mm etches ?

Good to see you yesterday.

Regards,

Brian R

• RMweb Gold

Hello Brian

Good to see you too as always! Hope those grandsons enjoyed the show.

Did stop and look at Dragon Models wares - but the conversation re the servo mounts took place in the coffee room, afraid it wasn't someone who was a trader on the day

But many thanks for asking

Phil

Oops better jump in while I remember.

It was BURRARD INLETS first outing ,at the beginning it wasn’t, plain sailing ,my dcc accessory decoder gave up,spent all afternoon today finding that out.

Otherwise it ran well afterwards.

The show was excellent and as all previous contributors have said,it was a warm welcoming event,it was almost like an all mates get together.I enjoyed the show more than all the others I have attended .plenty of banter and discussion and bacon rolls mmmmmmmm!

Thanks to Paul R for his great efforts in bringing it all together.

Of course I laughed heartily (not) when his parting words were.."..better start a new project for next year.....

• Like 4

Oops better jump in while I remember.

It was BURRARD INLETS first outing ,at the beginning it wasn’t, plain sailing ,my dcc accessory decoder gave up,spent all afternoon today finding that out.

Otherwise it ran well afterwards.

The show was excellent and as all previous contributors have said,it was a warm welcoming event,it was almost like an all mates get together.I enjoyed the show more than all the others I have attended .plenty of banter and discussion and bacon rolls mmmmmmmm!

Thanks to Paul R for his great efforts in bringing it all together.

Of course I laughed heartily (not) when his parting words were.."..better start a new project for next year.....

Yes let's have another preTOPS British one Brian!

Tony

The Cardiff (Small) Model Railway Show 2019

Saturday 26th. January, 2019 10:00am – 4:30pm

Scout Association Headquarters, Fields Park Road, Pontcanna, Cardiff CF11 9HX

With a trade presence by Lord & Butler, Cardiff Model Rail Centre, Penarth Road, Cardiff..

Refreshments   -   Ample free parking
( At the time of uploading this entry, the adjacent car park is 'pay and display' on Monday to Friday, but not on weekends )

Public Transport – several Cardiff Bus services stop outside ‘The Halfway’ public house, Cathedral Road

which is less than five minutes walk to the venue.

In cooperation with Messrs Lord & Butler, several  modellers have agreed to exhibit their layouts in a one day show.

A new thread will be created in advance of this event - giving details of exhibits, demonstrators and traders.

Edited by br2975
  • Like 3