One of the best open layouts in germany is still open

Mallarddriver

Excellent news!

I visited in May and boy! It was well worth the trip over from Hamburg.

Sorry about the poor quality video, just a handheld iPad but it is my video!

It's run by a really great couple of chaps (brothers), very friendly and they and their team have clearly put a lot into it, I really do wish them well.

John.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

Modellbundesbahn has reopened in its new location!

All the details are in the video but for reference, it is now located in the small town of Brakel, just 16Km further down the line from Bad Driburg (the old location).

Looks like there is room to expand the layout to approximately twice the original size.

For me, the best thing about this layout is that it is an accurate rendition of the chosen area as it was in about 1975 and the amount of 'gimmicks' is kept to a minimum. This is no showy "Miniatur Wunderland", it is more about proper, realistic modelling.

Long may it last.

John.

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

Glad I looked into the German forum out of idle curiosity a couple of weeks back and found this.

A quick look at the map and I discovered it was just a short hop from Bielefeld and the A2 Autobahn to Brakel, so a plot was hatched to visit en route to Mrs SM42's homeland (via Model Bahn Shop Lippe at Detmold. Luckily Mrs SM42 was flying out later) 

All I can say it was well worth the diversion and I wish I could have spent more time there but I had to get to the in laws at a sensible time. 

Thanks Mallarddriver for highlighting this. Oh and the diversion via the Harz area due to closed Autobahn junctions to get back on the A2 near Helmstedt was worth the drive too. Nowhere near the steam trains though, shame. 

Andy

• 1 month later...