Hornby Magazine Great Electric Train Show

ELTEL

• RMweb Gold

Tis a fact - the youngsters like the sound - and it helps control their need for speed. I have two "twig"layouts with sound locos  that I let the kids play with at shows and they seem keen.

As it's on show again at Warley next month perhaps they'll let the not so young have a play too. ;) 

Whilst I was let loose operating it, there were a number of kids interested at the front, especially as Mr Sutton was letting them shunt the sidings using the sound fitted 24 and the 08, which seemed to go down well with the kids.

Whilst I was let loose operating it, there were a number of kids interested at the front, especially as Mr Sutton was letting them shunt the sidings using the sound fitted 24 and the 08, which seemed to go down well with the kids.

Well done.  All layouts at exhibitions (including the super detailed/prototypical ones) must have something that children can operate.  On 'Crewlisle' we have an operator at the front of the layout who I call my 'PR Operator'.  He lets children operate locos anywhere on the layout but always has one finger close to the 'stop' button!  Also we let children operate the turntable which is mechanically turned via the Meccano gearing underneath.  As a final touch for children we have 'Thomas' lurking in platform 2 or 3 of the high level terminus!

Many layouts have numerous 'Do not touch' notices & operators are stuck behind the layout which acts as a psychological barrier for any questions/discussion about the layout.  Operators take themselves too seriously; lighten up; enjoy yourselves!  If we do not encourage youngsters into the hobby, in 20 years time exhibitions will look like a day trip for OAPs, including myself!

Peter   

Edited by Crewlisle

Many layouts have numerous 'Do not touch' notices & operators are stuck behind the layout which acts as a psychological barrier for any questions/discussion about the layout.  Operators take themselves too seriously; lighten up; enjoy yourselves!  If we do not encourage youngsters into the hobby, in 20 years time exhibitions will look like a day trip for OAPs, including myself!

Peter

20 years? Try now. I'd naively still say I'm a youngster but in 20 years I hope to be grey haired and close to retirement (if such a notion will still exist by then).

Chasing the Child demographic is all well and good but won't reap immediate results, as you have to be of a certain age to have the money and space available plus so me necessary hard learnt skills. Plus its only a narrow age group, unlike the responsible adult who will be bringing these children to shows who could be aged anything from late teens to retiree.

Encourage children with a train set, but don't forget those between 20 and 60 who used to have one as a child and are looking for a quiet creative hobby. I sometimes think us Inbetweeners are a forgotten element when the future of the hobby is debated.

Brighton East loaded ready to go later this afternoon, we cannot get in before 6.00 pm due to other activities at the venue. Opens 9.30 both days, looks like it will be a good show.

Dave,

Just been reading the forum & am surprised to read that you could not gain access until 6.00PM.  Normally for large exhibitions like this, access is normally from mid afternoon.  I bet some of the larger layouts were burning the midnight oil to ensure a trouble free layout for Saturday morning.

Peter

Dave,

Just been reading the forum & am surprised to read that you could not gain access until 6.00PM. Normally for large exhibitions like this, access is normally from mid afternoon. I bet some of the larger layouts were burning the midnight oil to ensure a trouble free layout for Saturday morning.

Peter

It is part of the arrangements that the museum have in place. Most areas will likely have been accessible from mid afternoon I'd expect, but the smaller rooms can and have in the past been booked for presentations and so inaccessible until they finish. The same happened last year with Maxwell colliery, they close up at 9pm or so as well. Not ideal but not much that Hornby magazine can do about it.