Oiling the Motor Bearings

Learner

Hi All, I am a newbie here and my user name says it all!

I have looked back over 12 previous pages in this section and cannot find anything that helps, so I thought I would ask the experts. I have a second hand Graham Farish BR Standard Class 5mt 2-6-0 purchased a couple of weeks ago. It runs fine at medium to fast, but is jerky at slow speeds. The instructions says the motor bearings should be sparingly oiled with light oil and the gear train with model grease. Dumb question even for an old learner but how do I find where the motor bearings are - I have removed the loco shell but all I can see is a metal block which I assume holds the motor. Do I have to dismantle more to get at the motor bearings? Youtube only seems to show diesel models where the motor bearing can be seen and reachable.

And an even dumber question - by the gear train does that refer to the moving con-rods etc, or is it the gear cogs at the bottom of the loco (which I read should not be touched with lubrication)?

Thank you

• RMweb Premium

Not an N gauge modeller so cannot hep with where the motor bearings are hidden in a Farish chssis, but the gear train is indeed the cogs - do not put grease on the con-rods.  It will attract dust and grit like a Dyson vacuum and eventually gum up the works.