Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

Our display of CBCs attracted a fair amont of interest from fellow exhibitors and visitors during the PFMRS exhibition. Several visitors had read the magazine feature (the real thing - not our scaled down scans included in the display) and they were pleased to see real examples.

Liam, Paul, Jim and Dave provided stunning examples of what can be achieved, I provided the two 'they might be finished one day' entries ...

The prints seen on the display board include screen grabs from some of the other CBC threads with permission of the modellers, Phil also gave permission for his images to be used. 

All in all, we felt the effort was worthwhile, for us - the display proved to be a great 'tool' for engaging with the audience, for the audience - they did seem to enjoy these 'mini marvels'. 

The attached image shows the general arrangement, detailed images of 'No more coal' can be seen in the CBC forum, Jim and Dave might be starting their own threads for 'Woolly jumpers' and '25kV feeder substation'.

Andy

post-32049-0-84187600-1511221475_thumb.png

• Like 17

• Administrators

Yes - superb work. Thanks for helping to promote the competition. As Dave says above, we can get people modelling. Maybe not building a layout straight away, but making something.

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who is taking part. I've deliberately not commented on build threads. Partly so it doesn't look like there is any favouritism - not that it would make any difference to the result, but also 'cos I'd just be hitting the "Like" button on everything. 

• Like 5

Displays such as the above, I think, can be a great motivator for folks not yet sure about the hobby.  While perhaps not a "layout" (depending on one's definition) it does show a way for people to "test the waters" so to speak.  Excellent job Andy!

thanks for the kind comments. it was a pleasure to show-case the excellent models.

Andy

Yes - superb work. Thanks for helping to promote the competition. As Dave says above, we can get people modelling. Maybe not building a layout straight away, but making something.

I'd also like to say thanks to everyone who is taking part. I've deliberately not commented on build threads. Partly so it doesn't look like there is any favouritism - not that it would make any difference to the result, but also 'cos I'd just be hitting the "Like" button on everything. 

thanks Phil. promoting the competition, the club and modelling general, a win win win situation    :)

Andy

• Like 1

Well, this is a fine thread, I just spent all morning reading it and not getting on with my entry, lots of interesting ideas, especially the offer to photo any entry from Phil. but I will not pay the travelling expenses to Australia.  This is an ideal comp for me because I don't have to send in the entry, just pictures. also I have only seen entries which seem to be from the UK. This should appeal to more from us Colonials. No huge expenses of packaging and Postage. I don't expect to win, but I am having a blast trying new things and learning new ideas on how to do them.

Geoff in Oz

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on my quick visit to Welshpool this week, I thought I'd follow a recommendation to visit a model shop.

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/welshpool-model-shop.html?m=1

Sadly and disappointedly the model shop now consists of no more than a small rack of Oxford cars...

And it was too wet, cold and generally miserable to get out and visit any of the other attractions that I was hoping would inspire another CBC entry.

• Administrators

Whilst on my quick visit to Welshpool this week, I thought I'd follow a recommendation to visit a model shop.

http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/welshpool-model-shop.html?m=1

Sadly and disappointedly the model shop now consists of no more than a small rack of Oxford cars...

And it was too wet, cold and generally miserable to get out and visit any of the other attractions that I was hoping would inspire another CBC entry.

Sounds like a Hornby concession gone. Shame as it was an unexpected bonus. Was the Queen around? She was when I visited but maybe she bought all the stock without me noticing. That royal train would hold a lot of red boxes...

http://travellingphilbury.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/welshpool.html

As a complete newbie to the forum I'm immensely pleased to see the range of ideas being contributed to this challenge (and the good natured 'joshing' from the mods and other members is especially welcome). All too often newcomers to hobbies and forums such as this are put off by rivet counters (I know I was), but having poked around a little  I'm grateful for the chance to use up things I've had in my 'bits box' by trying something new, and the feature on submissions so far in the latest issue of BRM has certainly encouraged me to make my own entry.

IMHO challenges like this are the perfect thing to encourage new people into the hobby, and or reluctant hobbyists like myself to try something new and maybe learn something along the way, watch this space for threads about my own layout and cakebox challenge diorama.

• Like 3

Well, this is a fine thread, I just spent all morning reading it and not getting on with my entry, lots of interesting ideas, especially the offer to photo any entry from Phil. but I will not pay the travelling expenses to Australia. This is an ideal comp for me because I don't have to send in the entry, just pictures. also I have only seen entries which seem to be from the UK. This should appeal to more from us Colonials. No huge expenses of packaging and Postage. I don't expect to win, but I am having a blast trying new things and learning new ideas on how to do them.

Geoff in Oz

I couldn't agree more. Describes exactly my own plans.
  • Like 1

Hello, I am completely new here and live in Germany this is a country where there is no cakebox to buy. In Facebook I read about this contest and I liked it so much that I am here now. Of course I could send me a cakebox from the UK for a lot of money. Much better I would find it, however, if there were the maximum dimensions in mm in the rules. I myself build general models in the scale 1: 22.5 and for the Cakebox Diorama I have as an idea a mine track with gauge 26.7 mm.

The magazine is also available as an online version, I found out now I just have to find out how I get a subscription for it from November.

Greetings Helmut

My Homepage http:www//design-hsb.de

• Like 2

Hi Helmut,

If you work to dimensions of 200mm x 200mm x 150mm the diorama will fit inside the standard cake box. This is the size of the Model Scenery bases I am using

https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/shop/bb006-small-diorama-baseboard-200x200mm-with-backscene-board/?v=79cba1185463

These fit within the box exactly, and are the size listed above, though there's nothing to stop you building on a base 200mm x 150mm x 200mm high.

Good luck with the challenge, I look forward to seeing another entry.

Peter

You also don't actually need a cakebox - your diorama just has to be capable of fitting inside one.

But it IS nice to buy the cakebox, consume the contents with a nice hot cuppa and then pop the diorama inside.....

ps I've been scribing setts in DAS and I'm not convinced.  I needed cheering up!

Edited by Hroth

I'm shocked that Germany has no cakeboxes, given the German proficiency in cake-making.

Is this an export opportunity that hasn't been recognised up to now?

PS: in fact Amazon.de seems to be awash with all sorts of cake boxes https://www.amazon.de/Tortenkartons/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3ATortenkartons

Edited by Nearholmer

Of course I can order via Amazon Cakeboxen in the UK, only in Germany there is no 8-inch Cakeboxen. I've also read through the whole wonderful long thread before. Besides, I live next to one of the biggest biscuit factories in Europe and they also have beautiful tin cans and there costs a large can with content less like the cakebox made of paper in England, but now I have the dimensions and have already started the planning. If I make it with my Cakebox diorama to an exhibition in the UK, I promise I'll bring a large tin can full of biscuits from my home.

Here's an example from Amazon even very British: https://www.amazon.de/MagiDeal-Britischer-Tortenkartons-Kuchenschachtel-Geburtstags/dp/B073B6T7JV/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1512405866&sr=8-2&keywords=tortenbox+8+zoll

When my design is finished I will open a thread.

Thank you Helmut

Edited by Bergmann
  • Like 3

• Administrators

One suggestion made at Warley was that we need some strong cake boxes for storing and transporting dioramas. The "real" boxes are a bit thin and flimsy being designed to prtect a cake for a short period. 

This would solve the German problem. I'm shocked that you can't get a "proper" box!

One suggestion made at Warley was that we need some strong cake boxes for storing and transporting dioramas. The "real" boxes are a bit thin and flimsy being designed to prtect a cake for a short period. 

This would solve the German problem. I'm shocked that you can't get a "proper" box!

Phil,

Something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-50-8x8x6-EcoSwift-Cardboard-Packing-Mailing-Shipping-Corrugated-Box-Cartons/141829569692?hash=item2105b37c9c:m:mh_Z34XitAkThQJ-VneoVAA