Cakebox Challenge Chat

Phil Parker

Working with the diorama bases you get a leeway of 3.2mm on the width, and 2.4mm on the height, as they are to metric equivalents. - (and yes, I know I'm not the first person to work in metric.)

I'm more woried how they will get them out if they're wedged in tight.

Anyone making a base 8x8 will find it won't fit inside.

And for those bending the rules to the limit, there's nothing about the box being dry, wet it and it will expand a bit (about 1.5%, just tried it).

Peter

• Like 1

Instant disqualification - 'serious' - outside the spirit of the competition.

Peter

Well "less unserious" then. Anyway, I don't care, as it shows I'm thinking outside the box, rather than being boring and conventional by thinking inside it :).

Guest Midland Mole

Is it allowable to build it into our own genuine cake box? My idea is that it would be part of the structure.

I'm hoping that is allowed as well, otherwise all of my ideas are going back to the drawing board.... :D

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

• Administrators

What about my second, and more serious, comment Phil? Is it allowable to build it into our own genuine cake box? My idea is that it would be part of the structure.

Not a problem. Look, we aren't going to be pedantic about this - if your box is the same size as the standard cake box no-one will be worried.

The crucial thing is that everyone has the same space to work in. I like the idea of a cakebox size box with a hole in the front to peer through nearly as much as I like the idea of a cakebox sized box full of cake. And that is quite a lot.

• Like 2

Not a problem. Look, we aren't going to be pedantic about this - if your box is the same size as the standard cake box no-one will be worried.

The crucial thing is that everyone has the same space to work in. I like the idea of a cakebox size box with a hole in the front to peer through nearly as much as I like the idea of a cakebox sized box full of cake. And that is quite a lot.

Just wanted to make sure. Now I just need to work on turning the inside into a Tardis :).

Working with the diorama bases you get a leeway of 3.2mm on the width, and 2.4mm on the height, as they are to metric equivalents. - (and yes, I know I'm not the first person to work in metric.)

I'm more woried how they will get them out if they're wedged in tight.

Shades of the Paddington Bear story where PB baked a cake in Mr Brown's camping oven to submit for a Blue Peter competition. Unfortunately the cake expanded rather more than he anticipated, leaving no room for him to get anything round it to lever it out.

Anyhow, Paddington eventually turned up at the Blue Peter studio with a beautifully iced (all over), rectangular cake, which won first prize. After the presentation, Peter Purves was about to cut it, but was stopped by Paddington, who turned a knob in the icing and a door opened. Because he hadn't been able to get the cake out of the oven, he'd iced the oven instead!

• Like 3

Shades of the Paddington Bear story where PB baked a cake in Mr Brown's camping oven to submit for a Blue Peter competition. Unfortunately the cake expanded rather more than he anticipated, leaving no room for him to get anything round it to lever it out.

Anyhow, Paddington eventually turned up at the Blue Peter studio with a beautifully iced (all over), rectangular cake, which won first prize. After the presentation, Peter Purves was about to cut it, but was stopped by Paddington, who turned a knob in the icing and a door opened. Because he hadn't been able to get the cake out of the oven, he'd iced the oven instead!

Rather like building it into your own cakebox!

• Like 1

I don't know whether anyone else has mentioned this, but in the island of reunion, they make a cake that we would call a "Swiss roll" in Britain, but using potato flou, rather than wheat flour, then cover it with sugar dyed bright red with cochineal.

This cake is called, for reasons unknown to me, "Chemin de Fer", railway line.

I propose to put two in a box, photograph this 'diorama', then eat them.

Kevin

PS: I found a recipe, and it uses potato starch, not potato flour http://www.cuisinereunionnaise.com/gateau-chemin-de-fer.htm

PPS: that website has lots of interesting food! looks like a sort of French/south-Indian fusion.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well "less unserious" then. Anyway, I don't care, as it shows I'm thinking outside the box, rather than being boring and conventional by thinking inside it :).

Space problem solved. Does thinking outside the box permit a cake box with a circle of set track going round outside? :)

Edit to add smilie.

Edited by Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

Just to let you know that Justin from Scale model scenery has confirmed that 200x200 corner modules should be available later in the week.

usual caveat applies, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Owen

• RMweb Gold

Space problem solved. Does thinking outside the box permit a cake box with a circle of set track going round outside? :)

I'd have thought that might count as thinking totally outside the box - either that, or thinking inside a 16" box.

No. And it will result in all cake eating privileges being withdrawn. ;-)

I'm struggling to think precisely who might actually wish to eat cake at an exhibition.

Saying that, I might be completely wrong. It's always possible that somebody might actually wish to eat a large number of Welsh cakes, a couple of metres in front of a stand at Warley.

Of course, as Nick Ross used to point out, there's no point in having nightmares - after all, I wouldn't dream of such a stunt ... .

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All this talk of letting people eat cake is getting a bit worrying....

I agree. It's starting to sound like an episode of "Chopped" - or was it "Bakers vs Fakers"?

I've kinda lost track in all the excitement. All I know is that I don't feel lucky.

This is why I haven't entered anything as yet - and I am less likely to as ideas I'd been wondering about building get adopted by other people and built to higher standards than I would have been likely to achieve.

Not that I am worried, you understand - I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.

Huw.

Edited by Huw Griffiths

• RMweb Gold

Worrying that others may copy your idea should not stop you having a go yourself. There will always be someone who could do things better, but so what?

8" x 8" is actually quite small, but still gives room to experiment.

Give it a go, you know you really want to.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Worrying that others may copy your idea should not stop you having a go yourself. There will always be someone who could do things better, but so what?

8" x 8" is actually quite small, but still gives room to experiment.

Give it a go, you know you really want to.

Fair comments - however, fear of being copied wasn't my real reason for not following up on my "thinking aloud" about a potential "Sodor Metals" diorama - neither was the fact that pretty much the same "props" look like finding their way into another RMweb member's scrapyard scene.

I've got a rather dry sense of humour - and my comments were originally a poor attempt at a joke - essentially trying to think of the one scene the BRM editorial team (and many of their readers) would almost certainly not wish to see. Sending "Thomas the Tank Engine" for scrap would be almost guaranteed to annoy a number of people - as would making a point of not scrapping all "his" Diesel engined "friends", on the basis of them being "really useful".

By the time I thought that a similar scene could be made to work (albeit in a rather less contentious form), building this one would have started to look like a bad "copycat" exercise. Worse still, it could also have detracted from the scrapyard scene that is being entered - and I'd never wish to do this - so I am not planning to build "Sodor Metals".

However, I do have other ideas - one of which could potentially end up serving as a mock-up / testbed for a model I've been quietly preparing drawings for on my home computer (but not necessarily to the same scale, or built in the same way).

Although prototype details for my projected model are slightly "sketchy" (which might force me down the "Rule 1" route), one diorama I've been considering is actually loosely based on a real event. Whether I actually build this scene (or any other, for that matter) remains to be seen - after all, would I really wish to see my efforts revealed if Ted Allen were to lift a cloche off a tray … .

Huw.

Fair comments - however, fear of being copied wasn't my real reason for not following up on my "thinking aloud" about a potential "Sodor Metals" diorama - neither was the fact that pretty much the same "props" look like finding their way into another RMweb member's scrapyard scene.

I've got a rather dry sense of humour - and my comments were originally a poor attempt at a joke - essentially trying to think of the one scene the BRM editorial team (and many of their readers) would almost certainly not wish to see. Sending "Thomas the Tank Engine" for scrap would be almost guaranteed to annoy a number of people - as would making a point of not scrapping all "his" Diesel engined "friends", on the basis of them being "really useful".

By the time I thought that a similar scene could be made to work (albeit in a rather less contentious form), building this one would have started to look like a bad "copycat" exercise. Worse still, it could also have detracted from the scrapyard scene that is being entered - and I'd never wish to do this - so I am not planning to build "Sodor Metals".

However, I do have other ideas - one of which could potentially end up serving as a mock-up / testbed for a model I've been quietly preparing drawings for on my home computer (but not necessarily to the same scale, or built in the same way).

Although prototype details for my projected model are slightly "sketchy" (which might force me down the "Rule 1" route), one diorama I've been considering is actually loosely based on a real event. Whether I actually build this scene (or any other, for that matter) remains to be seen - after all, would I really wish to see my efforts revealed if Ted Allen were to lift a cloche off a tray … .

Huw.

The one scrapyard idea that I might have implemented would involve the disposal of "Flying Scotsman", though in terms of iconoclastic horror, showing the gas axe to "Thomas" is a pretty good equal!

Go on, give it a go - the more the merrier!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In terms of Thomas themed scenes, I've never seen models of:

Bulgy the bus stuck under the bridge or as a hen house

Bulstrode beached and left for scrap

Scruffy after having been pulled apart

Thomas stuck down a mine

Gordon in the turntable well

Any number of narrow gauge wagon accidents

James on his side in a field

;)

• Like 2