Stubby47's cakebox entry - Victoria Wharf

Stubby47

Hi Stubby, my offering for a piece of cake. All the best Adrian.

Being r-e-e-a-l-l-y picky...

Typeface in the middle sections (on the black ground) looks too modern to my eyes - it's a sans serif for a start, possibly Arial Narrow? (Arial's from 1982)

Spacing/centring of BREAD • CAKES and PIES • PASTIES not quite right yet - too much space on the right within the black box.

Guess what I've been doing all day - trying to fit text nicely in boxes for a DTP project.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the replies - most appreciated.

But, do we think a small warehouse, tucked away beside a canal, would be offering fresh food ? ( My own fault for prompting this train of thought).

What else could be stored there, but keeping Victoria in the name ?

Surely it's not too difficult to find something close to your heart!

https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/brands/arcade-bathrooms/sanitaryware

There's a long tradition of sanitaryware manufacturers using canals to move their wares,

post-18627-0-38186300-1508271446_thumb.jpg

Any idea where your scene is based? This might give a further steer as to traffic.

Peter

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the replies - most appreciated.

But, do we think a small warehouse, tucked away beside a canal, would be offering fresh food ? ( My own fault for prompting this train of thought).

I confess disappointment you have not finished this yet   :jester:  but I do offer this 

post-1480-0-80291900-1508271723.jpg

Nick

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Realistically, if moved by canal, probably something heavy and non-perishable. If connected with food, maybe preserves, baked biscuits, flour, bicarbonate of soda, indigestion tablets, stomach pills... ? Non food, best I can think of with (admittedly a very tenuous) cake-box connection of is something re home theatre, cinematographs, puppet shows, children's games and puzzles. 

Or for play on words - [south Sea] sponges? 

• RMweb Gold

I've not set any location, nor in fact a time period, as yet as I'm still deciding on the final scene.

For example, the crane and NG track could still be in use, so the era could be anytime upto about 1950.

Later than that would see the crane out of use ( possibly removed), but the more recent times would see the crane preserved, bench seating along the canal walk, lighting and a modern-style bridge over the canal inlet.

With a potential location of East London, although Manchester or Birmingham could also be valid, the railway infrastructure could thus be one of the pre-grouping companies, or any of three of the big four ( probably excluding GWR) , BR or even modern Network Rail.

Sanitaryware would seem to be appropriate, for many reasons, but I do like the snuff box.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Victoria Works.

Owned by Messrs Stubbers and Co. Home to the Stubbers Thunderbox.

post-14122-0-51671900-1508307037.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have to say - I do like the reflections in the canal water.

I agree, but I'm a little concerned about that the water might be leaking out onto your windowsill from the top left.  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

I've done some more work on the warehouse, adding brickwork embellishments and extending the building to cover the whole bacscene.

The steps have been added for the office as well.

post-7025-0-04166800-1508540405_thumb.jpg

The left side will sit forward by about 5mm. The doors for the hoist and the lower half windows will be breize-blocked up.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mikkel.

I have a couple of canalside building reference books. The main walls are fairly generic bricks with windows, the brickwork on the gable tops was copied from one of the photos.

Still not sure whether to paint it red brick, or London Yellow.