1956 ER 1500v DC 4-Car EMU

I think they were 'augmentation' stock because the 1500V DC was extended from Shenfield to Chelmsford so extra stock was required suitable for the longer runs to Chelmsford and Southend so that the original 306/AM6/LNER designed stock could be concentrated on the inner suburban.

IIRC the early DC emus were classed as to what they were ordered for, so the 306 were the shenfield and the 307 were the Southend, and the 506 was the glossop stock. (ie, Manchester -glossop, Liverpool street -shenfield etc). Referring to them as class or types, rather than routes came later.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

The longer space between the doors of the first class in the TC semi open (L) does show up. Now do I get the knife out on my AM2, AM4/2, AM7 and AM8?

I have never heard the Southend stock being called anything else but Southend stock even after being classed as AM7 and class 307.

New cab fronts would be required to convert to a AM2. As aside note, despite the association with the LTSR, 25 AM2s were based on the GER and could be seen daily coupled to 305, 307 and 308s.

Thanks to everyone for their input here, i've double-checked my copy of BR Fleet Survey 11, and Chris is absolutely right, Chapter 8 confirms that the 1961 Class AM8 was referred to as "Southend Augmentation Stock". Clive is right to say Class 302 require new cab-fronts, it's not just a case of larger cab windows, the cab-front angles are also different. As Cheesy and Clive say, the correct term for this stock seems to have been "1956 Southend Stock".

I remember riding on these units in the mid-to-late 1970s, they seemed to be rather unloved in dirty plain Rail Blue, and gave quite a rough ride with their BR bogies, compared to the smooth-riding qualities of the Gresley design bogies fitted to many other types. To be fair to the 307s, I used them off-peak, when they were almost empty, the springs were no doubt tuned for carrying crush loads during peak-hour, which would probably have made them smoother riding? These units were always ugly ducklings, made worse with rebuilds in 1960/61, and again in the early 1980s, they just got uglier!

Regarding the Replica parts, i've never been a fan of clip-fit bodies, and the three pairs on each Replica body make things very tight, which can create distortion and potential breakage. Unfortunately thanks to the clip-fits, large chunks of their moulded interiors are omitted to clear them, but hopefully this won't show too much with the body on, just don't add lighting! Add to this, the raw chassis require slight filing back to fit inside, and the bodies seem to sit too low on the solebars. So i'm cutting off all my clip-fits, and replacing them with end body screws, my technique with interiors is to chop off the end-seat, and affix this to the end bulkhead, then the seat is drilled and tapped to receive the body screw, other positions will use brackets. The main section of seating is now fixed to the chassis, which helps to reinforce the latter and keep things nice and straight.      BK

As previously mentioned, I don't like clip-fits, especially the tighter variety, there's always the danger of distortion or breakage, especially in the case of "cut-and-shuts" like here, with the various new joints on the bodywork. So i've chopped off all the offending clips and brackets, and have installed my new end brackets, which are also drilled and tapped for screw-fixing. Two of the cars on these units were all-compartment, the other DTS with toilet had all-open seating, the Trailer Composite had open seating in second-class, and compartment with side-corridor in first-class.

For the ends with compartments, my method is to affix a separate full-width seat to the body end, with added packing blocks to achieve the correct height for the floor. When set, these can be drilled and tapped. The main section of interior will be attached to the floor. For the inside of driving cabs and luggage end of the MBS, I mount a new bracket, made from chopped-up plastic angle. I'm using Replica suburban interiors for the compartment cars (suitably chopped-up and re-arranged), for the open seating i'm using Replica's MK1 TSO type, with the tables cut out, which saves a lot of time. I've also added a few Southern Pride suburban seats for the ends of the open stock, i'll probably also use SP for the three first-class compartments.

One slight snag with the Replica chassis, are the angled ends, which don't sit on the new centre brackets quite as well as a completely flat floor would. To get around this problem, i've added plastic blocks to the inside of the ends, to act as corner pillars, which will support the body, plus the usual centre angle bracket, but with this mounted higher up to clear the floor, since it will only be for retaining the screw in tension.

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-80225300-1507848332_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-89295100-1507848369_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-26877100-1507848403_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-35422400-1507848442_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-39378100-1507848506_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-53542200-1507848542_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

I am interested in your experience and views on clip fit coach bodies, along with your method of preventing problems. So far I haven't had one do anything silly but it is worth considering doing something similar to some of the coaches that have multiple components.

You mention lighting on these units, from my memory traveling on Mk1 EMUs today's LEDs used by the likes of Bachmann in their models are ten times brighter than the bulbs in a compartment of a MBS of a 305. :read: "I can only just about read my Evening Standard on the way home."

You mention lighting on these units, from my memory traveling on Mk1 EMUs today's LEDs used by the likes of Bachmann in their models are ten times brighter than the bulbs in a compartment of a MBS of a 305. :read: "I can only just about read my Evening Standard on the way home."

I don't intend installing lighting at this stage, but totally agree regarding some RTR lighting, far too bright for pre-1960s stock. The old-style yellowy tungsten bulbs gave a much cosier atmosphere, albeit bad for reading, modern stock is so bright, it's like sitting in someone's kitchen. The same happened on the London Underground, the District Line's 'R' stock had horrible bluey cold fluorescent tubes fitted internally, along with drab grey panelling and maroon/grey seats. By contrast, the District still had the older 'OP' stock as well, which had the warmer tungsten bulbs, a yellow and green interior, and nicer looking seats. Many tube stations were quite dim back then too, at least you couldn't see the dirt, then bit by bit fluorescent lighting took over, it was all quite dazzling at first, it gave me headaches, until I got used to it, or else they tuned it down a bit?    BK

For speed and convenience i'm using Replica interiors, with a few Southern Pride bits for the first-class and full-width end seats, the latter mounted directly inside the ends, which double up as mounting brackets as seen above. Now of course all the interior mouldings have to be chopped up and re-arranged in order, i'm cheating slightly with the open seats, the real things had 3+2 seating per row, the mouldings are 2+2 seating intended for express stock, but who's gonna notice with the body back on? 

The first photo shows the rebuilt interiors for the 8-compartment Motor Brake Second above, and the 9-compartment Driving Trailing Second (without toilet) below, these were made from Replica BS and S mouldings respectively. Notice the big chunks missing from the seats, these are a relic from the clip-fit requirement, hopefully this won't show when inside the body? Incidentally, you may have noticed that I have had to slice off the top of a bulkhead on the MBS (top left), this is to clear the pantograph well, handily, the bit chopped off can be used to fill the void between the well and the roof proper.

post-298-0-19520900-1507991704_thumb.jpg

Next is the interior for the DTS with toilet (DTSL?), this is fashioned from a Replica Mk1 TSO interior, to give a 3second+loo+5second pattern, an untouched example is shown above for comparison. All tables have been chopped out, which leaves the floor slightly uneven, but again it shouldn't show with the body on, I can always add some plastic slabs in their place.

post-298-0-00609900-1507991735_thumb.jpg

Lastly the tricky one, the Trailer Composite Semi-Open, this requires a 3first+loo+6second pattern with side-corridor for first-class. I may have cheated in the case of 3+2 versus 2+2 seats, but I have created the distinctive offset access to the second-class toilet, with the odd 1+4 seat arrangement by the door. The real pair of toilets were completely separate with a central wall running lengthwise, my toilet interior looks like three baths and a filing cabinet, they are merely upturned spare tables to brace the bulkhead walls, since the toilet interior will not be on view of course. First-class seating and corridor panels are Southern Pride. Note the SP end seats already affixed inside the body.   BK

post-298-0-42509500-1507991777_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-79317000-1507991818_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-10899800-1507991853_thumb.jpg 

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Brian

Are you going to do the luggage racks above the seats in the open saloons? I only ask this because I am not sure If I will do so as they are not that visible.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/citytransportinfo/24531411463/in/pool-class302-312/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhazan/3501097569/in/pool-class302-312/

I can taste the dust in this compartment

Good point about luggage racks, but then how many people fit them to their regular coaches, although suburban ones are "more in your face"? I'll pass on this for now, however it was done, it would have to be very neatly applied, or it would spoil the look? In 4mm scale we tend to look down on trains, you'd only see the luggage racks/nets from near track level.  BK

My Southend unit passengers need flushing loos, so it's on with the water pipes that feed the roof tanks. For this job i've used 26 gauge wire and split pins, the nice thing about the latter, is that they can be fashioned and crimped for virtually any job, whereas handrail knobs come in various lengths and sizes, plus they will only accept certain sizes of wire. Methinks I should add some kind of round pod, where the pair of pipes enter the roof. BTW, on the prototype both pipes are feeding in, but only one pipe would be in use when filling, depending on which side the supply source stands.

I have a sneaking suspicion that these roofs originally had shell vents, but 1950s photos aren't that clear, later images show ridge dome vents as moulded by Replica, but the difference isn't that obvious. The 1956 roof vent layout is another slight mystery, there appear to be fewer vents fitted, understandable in open saloons, but even the individual compartments appear to only have one vent each (usually two in loco-hauled), so I may remove selective vents? The rough marks on the buffer beams, are where the unrequired inner buffer shanks have been sliced off. Next job is adding all brakevan and cab handrails.   BK

post-298-0-10920300-1508272315_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-06250200-1508272348_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-27079800-1508272377_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Clive,

It's spelt/spelled "roofs", not "rooves", but people pronounce it/them either way.

My split pins were bought at a show some years ago, i'm sorry I can't remember who sold them, might have been Wizard Models, I think Eileen's Emporium sell them as well? My size is 18mm x 1mm diameter, the length isn't crucial, these are too long for 4mm anyway. The good news is the offcuts can be refolded to make new mini-split pins, one 18mm pin had enough meat on it to make three supports on these roofs, a lot cheaper than using machined handrail knobs. The other option is find a supply of half-round 1mm brass (or similar) wire, which of course is all a split pin is. Another method is to bend up office staples (like I do for magnetic uncoupling), but these are square section, which have other handy uses like lamp irons, or those tricky handrails around the cab corners on 4CIGs and VEPs, etc.    BK

Hi Paul,

I wouldn't trust anything schoolteachers say, as the great GBS said "those that can, do, those that can't, teach". I'm not that much of a stickler on spelling, no problem with the occasional "ain't" or "it do be", but we must defend our langauge from American English, which is creeping in, with things like "onto". "Rooves" is not acknowledged by Chambers or the OED, I suspect "rooves" is an American spelling, anyone got an AE dictionary? Pronouncing roofs or rooves is rather like saying Shrewsbury or "Shrosebury". Correct spelling is like getting your roof vents in the correct order.

Beekay. 

• Like 1

Roofs Update:   Here's a not very exciting pic, showing where I have rationalized the roof layout by removing half of the moulded-on vents. Of course stupid me should have done this before I added the toilet pipes, but no harm done, it was just slightly more awkward (slaps own wrist). I can't vouch for the new vent arrangement being 100% Kosher, but it should be near enough, centre trailer photos are near impossible to find. It's the usual old story when modelling some of the more obscure units, plenty of front three-quarters shots and cab front pics, but very few of the middle of the unit (gnashes teeth in frustration).   BK

post-298-0-53656200-1508332660_thumb.jpg 

• Like 7

Here's my interpretation of the Southend unit cab fronts, the small L-shaped pipe is for the whistle originally fitted. When these units were rebuilt for dual AC c.1960/61, becoming Class AM7, these front ends were drastically altered, and the whistles were replaced with horns, mounted below the buffer beams. I think my SP whitemetal buffing plate on the left needs a little bit more filing down to horizontal, I believe Replica can supply plastic equivalents?    BK

post-298-0-42149500-1508584899_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Here's my interpretation of the Southend unit cab fronts, the small L-shaped pipe is for the whistle originally fitted. When these units were rebuilt for dual AC c.1960/61, becoming Class AM7, these front ends were drastically altered, and the whistles were replaced with horns, mounted below the buffer beams. I think my SP whitemetal buffing plate on the left needs a little bit more filing down to horizontal, I believe Replica can supply plastic equivalents?    BK

attachicon.gif20171021_002131.jpg

They look good Brian