NEW to the NCiM from Hornby - Black Five No.5000

LocomotionatShildon

The LMS Black Five is a versatile mixed traffic design, which was seen widely across all regions of Britain's railways. It is a popular class of locomotive with 18 examples preserved in the UK, including No.5000.

In conjunction with Hornby we have produced Black Five No.5000 of the National Collection. No.5000 was the first of the production build from Crewe Works, but not the first to enter service. This was No.5020, which Vulcan Foundry managed to construct earlier.

The locomotive is finished in LMS pre-war Lined Black with a gloss finish. Only 250 have been produced and it is bound to be a popular model, so don't miss out on your chance to add it to your collection.

post-9822-0-67166200-1507367376_thumb.jpg

Expected delivery to our customers will be from WC 9/10/17

£169 + £7.50 Postage

Click here to Order Now http://www.locomotionmodels.com/national-collection-in-miniature/hornbynrm-exclusive-r3596-lms-black-5-class-4-6-0.htm

Edited by LocomotionatShildon
  • Like 1

Mmm while generally liking gloss, not sure it works on this one. Looks like lots of Black 5 limited editions coming. I think there's a Rails one too .

Last time I was at the NRM 5000 was highly polished and sitting at the head of the Royal Train selection - probably more a museum livery than a workaday Black 5. But I've ordered one.

Mmm while generally liking gloss, not sure it works on this one. Looks like lots of Black 5 limited editions coming. I think there's a Rails one too .

It says that only 250 have been produced but not that it’s a limited edition. I suppose that leaves the option open for more if Shildon is besieged by frustrated placard-waving modellers and collectors.

I also feel uncomfortable at the thought of only 250 being produced. Does that mean that the market is contracting?

Between Sheffield and Locomotion doing the same locos but in different liveries/eras, that makes 500 which is still a healthy run.

But it is better to be cautious than to over produce. Re-runs will have to wait a while though and tied in with when Hornby run that particular class of loco again.

While runs are smaller, there is more out there than ever so hard to gauge if the market is shrinking. When we see less new items being announced overall (or new items being cancelled), then we can say it is shrinking.

• RMweb Gold

While runs are smaller, there is more out there than ever so hard to gauge if the market is shrinking. When we see less new items being announced overall (or new items being cancelled), then we can say it is shrinking.

Even then it may not be shrinking, simply availability had expanded to a level that the market did not sustain.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

The brutal equation is fewer punters of a certain age meets rising costs.So I think shrinkage is an inevitability.It may be that certain percentages of a pre ordered run have been offered to Rails and the NRM to defray costs and the perils of over production.Hornby produced a Black 5 only a couple of years ago remember and now there are three mainstream new varieties soon to be on the market together with what seems to be a rush of new models/reruns etc...all of which eats into cashflow immediately. A delicate balancing act...

All valid comments. Yet more products at yet higher prices. I just have to be selective. In this case, I have selected. I want a Black 5 with an original boiler. I most certainly do not want TTS. The gloss is attractive and I have fond memories of munching sandwiches whilst admiring 5000 at Shildon and then cabbing it. LMS livery gilds the lily. For me, Black 5s have always been overshadowed by the Jubilees but seeing 5000 convinced me that the Black ’Uns have an elegance of their own. The price premium isn’t huge either. Thank you, NRM!

• RMweb Premium

Like I said earlier, it looks really good when you see it for real. And 5000 herself is in gloss now, as she was working on the SVR and was when new or ex works.

Gloss is one of those things though, modellers either love it or hate it. Personally I think it’s a great addition to Models. Yes it may not look quite right due to the whole scaling down issue, but the real things are shiny so why shouldn't our models be?

Edited by Hilux5972

Guest Midland Mole

Like I said earlier, it looks really good when you see it for real. And 5000 herself is in gloss now, as she was working on the SVR and was when new or ex works.

Gloss is one of those things though, modellers either love it or hate it. Personally I think it’s a great addition to Models. Yes it may not look quite right due to the whole scaling down issue, but the real things are shiny so why shouldn't our models be?

I agree that the gloss works if you are modelling it as preserved or brand new/ex-works, but to me a locomotive needs to look as they did while working. It goes back to the classic weather/don't weather argument people in our hobby do so love.

Some people consider it almost blasphemy to weather a loco, especially one in an ornate/express livery, but just look at photos taken back even before BR and how many clean locos do you see running around working? Personally I cannot stand pristine locos in my collection and have all of them weathered to some degree to look worked. Even my Bachmann C Class in SECR livery will get a light weathering at some point. And so for me the gloss does not work, but I can still see why people do want it. And yes I know this is a model of the preserved loco, but it probably would have carried the livery during it's working life and that is how I would have it. :)

Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

But the pumps didn't last long. IIRC they had all gone before WW2