Fitting sound to Bachmann Class 43 Warship

dibber25

As a newcomer to fitting sound in British outline (I've fitted a couple of Canadian models) I was emboldened by success in fitting two Dapol 122s with sound, despite the fact that I had to buy a different speaker to fit the Dapol mounting. I then decided to fit a Bachmann Class 43 Warship, which has the latest style of chassis. It appears that a speaker could be fitted under one or other (or both?) of the fan grilles. In one instance it would require the plastic fan to be removed. However, the speaker supplied with the ESU Class 43 sound decoder doesn't fit either location and it looks like any speaker mounted below the main fan grille would then foul the decoder when the body is put back on. 

Has anyone any advice to offer?

Has anyone done a sound-fit in a Bachmann Warship?

Are the 'bespoke' sound decoder kits not designed to fit the appropriate models?

Are the manufacturers merely playing lip-service to be able to say that models are DCC sound ready without ever having actually fitted a sound kit in them? The Warship looks to have very little space for the thickness of the speaker supplied.

As a newcomer to fitting sound in British outline (I've fitted a couple of Canadian models) I was emboldened by success in fitting two Dapol 122s with sound, despite the fact that I had to buy a different speaker to fit the Dapol mounting. I then decided to fit a Bachmann Class 43 Warship, which has the latest style of chassis. It appears that a speaker could be fitted under one or other (or both?) of the fan grilles. In one instance it would require the plastic fan to be removed. However, the speaker supplied with the ESU Class 43 sound decoder doesn't fit either location and it looks like any speaker mounted below the main fan grille would then foul the decoder when the body is put back on. 

Has anyone any advice to offer?

Has anyone done a sound-fit in a Bachmann Warship?

Are the 'bespoke' sound decoder kits not designed to fit the appropriate models?

Are the manufacturers merely playing lip-service to be able to say that models are DCC sound ready without ever having actually fitted a sound kit in them? The Warship looks to have very little space for the thickness of the speaker supplied.

The older model ( The class 42 ) could just about accommodate a 23mm speaker under the grilles which incidentally needed etched grilles to let the sound out .

I ended up stripping the loco and milling out a recess for a 58 x22 bass reflex in the tanks .

Sadly, the Howes project sounded none the better for it  .

I seem to remember having trouble fitting a 20 x40 mm speaker to the later model class 37 and having to remove the fan in order to accommodate the speaker .

Fine models as they are , Bachmann , in my opinion pay scant regard to quality sound .

Great magazine by the way ! 

• RMweb Gold

For the Bachmann speaker mount in the class 43 warship you want a 28 mm round speaker such as esu 50333

See our abbotswood junction videos for locos with this installation and Howes sound files. Seal round speaker with blue tak for best results.

Cheers Phil

For the Bachmann speaker mount in the class 43 warship you want a 28 mm round speaker such as esu 50333

See our abbotswood junction videos for locos with this installation and Howes sound files. Seal round speaker with blue tak for best results.

Cheers Phil

Yes, Got that speaker and fitted it successfully but the body won't go back on because the speaker fouls the decoder. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Have you got the body on the right way round - those warship bodies are pretty symmetrical!

Speaker should be at opposite end to chip

Body is on the right way round when the boiler vent - above the nameplate - and the fuel fillers - below the solebar - are on the same side

Lots of photos in this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69217-Bachmann-class-43-expanding-the-fleet/page-20

Cheers

Phil

Have you got the body on the right way round - those warship bodies are pretty symmetrical!

Speaker should be at opposite end to chip

Body is on the right way round when the boiler vent - above the nameplate - and the fuel fillers - below the solebar - are on the same side

Lots of photos in this thread

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69217-Bachmann-class-43-expanding-the-fleet/page-20

Cheers

Phil

Throughout the job, the body has been attached to the chassis by the lighting wires at each end, so it can't be reversed. I'm fitting it back the same way I took it off. I don't have it to hand at present but so far as I'm aware, the speaker mount is to the larger of the two black mountings, which is directly above the decoder. There is a smaller black fitment below a fan grille at the opposite end, but that would be too small for the 28mm speaker. Sorry, I'm doing this from memory. Will re-check everything when I get home, as I've obviously got something wrong. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed you are correct re the fan mountings - but as stated the speaker should be at the other end of the body to the chip as it is in the 33 class 43 warships we have! If the speaker is over the chip then assembly is wrong at some stage - but would not become apparent until you tried to fit a speaker!

You haven't commented on the boiler grille vs fuel fillers alignment - are they the right way round with body as currently attached by the lighting wires? if so swap the fans/speaker mounts over. If they are not unplug the lighting wires, rotate the body by 180 degrees, reconnect the lighting wires and all should be correct and the body should fit correctly with speaker and chip installed

Hope that helps

Phil

Yes indeed you are correct re the fan mountings - but as stated the speaker should be at the other end of the body to the chip as it is in the 33 class 43 warships we have! If the speaker is over the chip then assembly is wrong at some stage - but would not become apparent until you tried to fit a speaker!

You haven't commented on the boiler grille vs fuel fillers alignment - are they the right way round with body as currently attached by the lighting wires? if so swap the fans/speaker mounts over. If they are not unplug the lighting wires, rotate the body by 180 degrees, reconnect the lighting wires and all should be correct and the body should fit correctly with speaker and chip installed

Hope that helps

Phil

post-1062-0-43546600-1508187562_thumb.jpg

post-1062-0-22520100-1508187590_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

There you go!

The body is on the wrong way round - the boiler grille over the nameplate is on the opposite side of the body to the fuel fillers below the solebar.

Unplug the cab light leads from the chassis, rotate the body through 180 degrees and plug them back in.

The speaker will then be at the correct end and clear of the chip - and the body will be the right way round

Phil

I couldn't figure out why the body would be the wrong way round. The penny eventually dropped. It was a review sample, so would have had the body off for photography. That's where it must have got re-assembled incorrectly. Thanks for all your help. (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

So just a couple of other points....

I don't rely on the rubbing contacts for the speakers as supplied - there is nothing to give positive alignment. I prefer to hard wire.

And have lost a couple of those 50333 speakers that have blown....so if you lose sound suspect the speaker first!

What sound files are you using?

Cheers

Phil

So just a couple of other points....

I don't rely on the rubbing contacts for the speakers as supplied - there is nothing to give positive alignment. I prefer to hard wire.

And have lost a couple of those 50333 speakers that have blown....so if you lose sound suspect the speaker first!

What sound files are you using?

Cheers

Phil

I have hard wired - the wires are just visible in the upper photo. Haven't yet checked to see if they are long enough to let me turn the body round! The decoder came from Howes, so it's whatever sound files they use. I'm guessing a Class 43 sound file will be a 'creation', as there isn't one left to record? (CJL)

• RMweb Gold

Ah yes that's the sound file we use....isn't bad but lacking in voith transmission effects as IIRC was created on a MAN engined German Diesel electric

Something better might materialise perhaps when the Class 22 replica is completed.....

See your hard wiring on to the chip now you have pointed it out - I go on to the contact pads on the chassis after removing those contact springs, less risk to chip with my crummy soldering skills!

Phil

I have hard wired - the wires are just visible in the upper photo. Haven't yet checked to see if they are long enough to let me turn the body round! The decoder came from Howes, so it's whatever sound files they use. I'm guessing a Class 43 sound file will be a 'creation', as there isn't one left to record? (CJL)

Digitrains do one for the class 43 I believe .

Its not the genuine article but the recordings are from a MAN engine loco ,  German I believe  but apparently sounds similar to what the  ' 43 would have sounded .

Admittedly , I haven't heard it myself but it is out there 

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just fitted a ESU 4.0 Sound Chip to my Bachmann Class 43 (Chip was a reblow by Digitrains)

Poor running best description being a Jerky movement.

Any help welcome

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

We have only done 16 of these! Hee hee. Sound files from Howes in ours but the following will apply to any files

1. Make sure wheels are clean and pick up is good

2. Make sure loco is run in.

3. Perform a tune up on the chip. See http://www.sbs4dcc.com/tutorialstipstricks/esuloksoundmotorautotune.html The 43 isn't a great performer on DC IMHO - is overgeared - but the correct settings on the chip will vastly improve that

4. If all else fails fit additional pick ups - if you get to that point come back and I will post details

Also worth sealing around the speaker with blutak for double the sound volume

Hope this helps!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

1. Make sure wheels are clean and pick up is good ALL WHEELS

2. Make sure loco is run in. HAD BEEN RUN IN WITH NO PROBLEMS

3. Perform a tune up on the chip. See http://www.sbs4dcc.c...orautotune.html. The 43 isn't a great performer on DC IMHO - is overgeared - but the correct settings on the chip will vastly improve that DONT HAVE A LOCO PROGRAMER

4. If all else fails fit additional pick ups - if you get to that point come back and I will post details ITS NOT PICK UPS

Also worth sealing around the speaker with blutak for double the sound volume FOLLOWED YIUR TIPS ON SOUND WHICH IS GREAT

Thanks anyway

Eltel

• RMweb Gold

You are not alone - see http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123970-Bachmann-class-43-warship/

But you don't need a lokprogrammer to access CVs - many controllers will do it

Do you have access to one - or is there help locally via a friend or club perhaps? What part of the Country are you?

Cheers

Phil