Modeling the Bluebell Railway

BluebellModeller

5b4l52.jpg

Ulrich has helped me out once again and implemented Mike's feedback. Let me know what you all think of this second draft. The toughest part of this phase of the project will definitely be procuring all the track- I really wish shipping costs to the US didn't exist!!! Side note- what should I do with the wide open space between the station platform and scenic divider? 

Edited by BluebellModeller

I have just bought a book Bluebell Railway Locomotives As they were, only cost me £2.50 and I see there is one on Amazon for the same price. I am more into building locos and most of the locos I have kits for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Bluebell+Railway+Locomotives+As+they+were

I will be building a layout based on Bodmin General in preservation era, but with SR and GWR stock in various liveries. Plan to adjust the track layout slightly and stock of my own preference 

With your new plan I'd make the top siding in the staging into a passing loop and have a point off the bottom siding into the area with nothing in it (in the storage area). This can be the line that you could attach cassettes to for stock changes.

The thing with the current plan is the siding arrangement doesn't look like a LBSC layout. The Bluebell is typical in that the sidings face in towards the station. If you made the loop in the storage area you could then have a point coming off the left hand end so that you have a double line emerging, one of which represents the running line and the other the head shunt. And although it'll be tight you could run a couple of sidings off that and the join back to the running line. That will give a lot more operational options. If you can I'd try to get in two longer sidings in the visible area.

Although not a Bluebell feature I'd actually move the station onto the curve (on the left) and have the platforms run right onto the back scene. You could swap location to West Hoathly so that you can loose the line into the tunnel. Doing this would then free up the main area for the yard and I think it'll give you better views of your locomotives.

Loco wise I think the whole list is somewhere on RMWeb, posted recently. You know about the very expensive Bachmann C Class, then there is their E4 tank. Hornby Adams Radial and their H Class coming soon. The H will sell out very fast in SECR colours so one to pre-order.

With your new plan I'd make the top siding in the staging into a passing loop and have a point off the bottom siding into the area with nothing in it (in the storage area). This can be the line that you could attach cassettes to for stock changes.

The thing with the current plan is the siding arrangement doesn't look like a LBSC layout. The Bluebell is typical in that the sidings face in towards the station. If you made the loop in the storage area you could then have a point coming off the left hand end so that you have a double line emerging, one of which represents the running line and the other the head shunt. And although it'll be tight you could run a couple of sidings off that and the join back to the running line. That will give a lot more operational options. If you can I'd try to get in two longer sidings in the visible area.

Although not a Bluebell feature I'd actually move the station onto the curve (on the left) and have the platforms run right onto the back scene. You could swap location to West Hoathly so that you can loose the line into the tunnel. Doing this would then free up the main area for the yard and I think it'll give you better views of your locomotives.

Loco wise I think the whole list is somewhere on RMWeb, posted recently. You know about the very expensive Bachmann C Class, then there is their E4 tank. Hornby Adams Radial and their H Class coming soon. The H will sell out very fast in SECR colours so one to pre-order.

This is all great. Thank you for your feedback! 

I'll leave the track info to Ulrich, looks like he included some of it into his latest plan. RE: switching the location. I'm not sure how I feel about that, I feel a special connection to Kingscote :P but I'm flexible. If he doesn't mind, Ulrich could make these changes to a copied version of the existing plan so I can see them side by side. 

Loco-wise: I don't know if you saw my spreadsheet of engines I plan to buy, but now that you mention that H Class selling out fast I might just have to preorder it. The Bachmann C class is just ridiculous- I doubt I'll ever shell out $400 for a single engine. I saw an E4 on Hattons but there's only one left in stock and I don't know if I'll be able to grab it before it's gone. The Radial tank is at the top of my list for sure. 

If the location is important to you then surely everything about that location should be represented as far as is possible in the space you have. Without following the real track layout your model won't look much like Kingscote and you won't the able to operate the station/layout like the real thing.

http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/track_kingscote.html

If you're not worried about using the actual station layout then I'm not sure why calling it Kingscote matters that much. It's actually easier to model what there, even if you have to cut it back, loose a siding or halving their length but starting with the real thing is easier than making it up.

I'd suggest a bit of Google time – see if you can find a small layout called Bredon and another called Cheviot Dale. Both are smaller than the space you have but both pack a lot into not much space. They capture the essence of the GWR and NER respectively. I suspect that there are dozens of other similar small layouts to be inspired by. Personally I think using set-track is restricting the design.

The H Class in SECR livery has sold out at Hornby so you need to find a dealer that has ordered the model and who hasn't sold all of their allocation.

Edited by Anglian

The original intent was to take the real-life track layout, and fit it into my 4ft x 8ft space. Ulrich and I can work on making sure it stays accurate- but honestly I didn't think it was too different- just bent significantly to fit my table and allow me to have continuous running- an absolute must with any layout I will ever do. I think I'll stick with the Bluebell Railway for my first project, but I will go have a look and see if there's anything else that interests me. If set-track is limiting in your opinion, what is a better alternative? 

On coaches, I would suggest the following, currently available:

a) Bachmann 60ft ex-SECR Birdcage coaches x 3 types ( http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=birdcage OO ) - Bluebell have three of these in use, all in Southern Railway olive green livery now I think.

b) Hornby Maunsell 58ft (ex LSWR) several types ( http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=maunsell coach OO ) - only one in use, in the very different Salmon and Brown LSWR livery. The other two are in storage awaiting restoration. Hornby's models are the exact types.

c) Hornby Maunsell 1930's Corridor stock (  http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=maunsell coach OO- several types  ) - Bluebell have eight or more of these, but only three seem to be operational, in Southern Railway lettering but I seem to recall different shades of green!

d) Bachmann Bullied 63ft Corridor stock (http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=bulleid coach) - Bluebell have TO's, SOBK's and one CK in use, all (I think) in BR(SR) green livery.

You should also have a smattering of BR Mark 1 coaches, painted in to BR green, from Hornby or Bachmann. The Bluebell relied on these heavily until fairly recently.

There are others of course, including Pullmans, which would be representative. Depends how deep are your pockets......

The original intent was to take the real-life track layout, and fit it into my 4ft x 8ft space. Ulrich and I can work on making sure it stays accurate- but honestly I didn't think it was too different- just bent significantly to fit my table and allow me to have continuous running- an absolute must with any layout I will ever do. I think I'll stick with the Bluebell Railway for my first project, but I will go have a look and see if there's anything else that interests me. If set-track is limiting in your opinion, what is a better alternative? 

I'd use flexible track. The bend is fine and what lots of folks do, it's just the goods yard that needs altering to mimic the real thing.

Got some feedback from others with whom I've shared the project. Wondering what all of your thoughts will be. 

"Your staging in this latest one is set up so most trains run clockwise. But that makes all the sidings facing point - not typically done to switch them like that, a train running the other way where they would be trrailing point would switch those.

Are both sides actually accessible? If they are, I'd put Ulrich's station on one side and put your station from the latest plan on the other side. One side can serve as staging for the other, or you can run station to station, just using multiple laps to gain mileage. That gives you twice the operation in the same area. Still with a scenic divider through the middle."

EDIT- Yes, both sides are accessible.

Small change of plans with regards to acquiring engines. I'm starting with Birch Grove, with any luck will be purchased by the end of the week. Confirming one small detail with Hattons and then hopefully placing the order. Even if the layout plan isn't completely squared away yet I want to start getting the engines I plan to run as quickly as possible to prevent them selling out. Will post updates as they come.  

• Like 1

Well, the plan is certainly not a bad one and, IIRC, has been featured in RM some 30 years ago. The picture I have in my mind was that of a nice and authentic looking layout with a charming GWR flavour to it.

I think before we get into the routine of endlessly generating various layout ideas, there are a few questions which need to be settled:

How strongly are you tied to modelling the Bluebell Rlwy.?

How strongly are you tied to confine the layout to a 4 by 8 ft. baseboard?

The latter question comes to my mind, as yoiu stated somewhere along thge discussion, that the layout is accessible from all sides.

• RMweb Premium

On coaches, I would suggest the following, currently available:

a) Bachmann 60ft ex-SECR Birdcage coaches x 3 types ( http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=birdcage OO ) - Bluebell have three of these in use, all in Southern Railway olive green livery now I think.

b) Hornby Maunsell 58ft (ex LSWR) several types ( http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=maunsell coach OO ) - only one in use, in the very different Salmon and Brown LSWR livery. The other two are in storage awaiting restoration. Hornby's models are the exact types.

c) Hornby Maunsell 1930's Corridor stock (  http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=maunsell coach OO- several types  ) - Bluebell have eight or more of these, but only three seem to be operational, in Southern Railway lettering but I seem to recall different shades of green!

d) Bachmann Bullied 63ft Corridor stock (http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/SiteResults.aspx?searchfield=bulleid coach) - Bluebell have TO's, SOBK's and one CK in use, all (I think) in BR(SR) green livery.

You should also have a smattering of BR Mark 1 coaches, painted in to BR green, from Hornby or Bachmann. The Bluebell relied on these heavily until fairly recently.

There are others of course, including Pullmans, which would be representative. Depends how deep are your pockets......

Incorrect on many fronts I'm afraid Mike

(a) The Bluebell only currently have 1 birdcage coach running at present - and that is from a completely different (i.e. a few feet shorter) than those 60ft versions modelled by Bachmann*. The other 3 non corridor Maunsell liveried coaches you will have seen running with the restored Birdcage brake are a LBSCR 1st and a SECR '100 seater' dating from the early 1920s, neither of which are available in RTR form

*The Bluebell do have a 60ft birdcage awaiting restoration though.

(b) The Salmon and Brown LSWR brake coach you will have seen is just that - a LSWR coach. It has never been messed round with by anyone and as such is a completely different vehicle to the recent Hornby releases. The only 'rebuilt ex LSWR' coach the railway has (no.320) is awaiting restoration, though Hornby have released it in model form this year in Malachite livery.

© While the railway does have a reasonably large collection of Maunsell designs, only 4 have ever been restored for public use and in recent years the quantity in service has dropped to 3 as the low window BCK (modelled by Hornby) has been withdrawn and is now awaiting overhaul. Of the other three Maunsells currently running, only 1 is made by Hornby (Open 3rd no.1336) so careful attention needs to be paid to what the Bluebell has actually got rather than assuming Hornby will be able to cover all bases here.

(d) The CK you mention is nearing the end of a comprehensive overhaul having been out of use for a decade or so and only one of the brakes is currently serviceable, A couple of the SOs are in service at present too .

Finally while the Bluebell as traditionally used BR(S) green on its Mk1s, for several years now there has been a push to outshop carriages in the Cream and Red livery (including a few that never carried this livery in BR service) so this provides further options

For full details of the Bleubell carrage fleet please see here http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/car_list.html.

Edited by phil-b259

Well, the plan is certainly not a bad one and, IIRC, has been featured in RM some 30 years ago. The picture I have in my mind was that of a nice and authentic looking layout with a charming GWR flavour to it.

I think before we get into the routine of endlessly generating various layout ideas, there are a few questions which need to be settled:

How strongly are you tied to modelling the Bluebell Rlwy.?

How strongly are you tied to confine the layout to a 4 by 8 ft. baseboard?

The latter question comes to my mind, as yoiu stated somewhere along thge discussion, that the layout is accessible from all sides.

Pretty committed on both fronts, Bluebell just because I've been admiring it since I was young and I think there's some symbolism in it being my first prototypical layout- maybe a bit ridiculous, yes, but important to me. On the baseboard size, the table is already built, so that's pretty set in stone as well. 

Here we go again!

WDElo4b.jpg

I used OpenRailwayMaps to get the station´s track plan. It´s drawn using Peco code 75 rail and bullhead flex track, as suggested earlier. I tried to come as close as possible to the prototype´s layout, but putting it on a 4 by 8 required some compression and adjustments.

• Like 2

I should not worry too much, it's your railway and if you are happy with your interpretation then that's fine. Railway modelling is full of compromises and if you only have a small space in most folks books that's OK. It's mot as if you are modelling in P4, just enjoy the hobby as that's what its all about

• Like 1

I think this one is by far the most accurate to the actual track plan, my only issue is that I have never worked with flex track before. Can anyone give me an indication of how difficult it is to use? I guess I need to cut it to fit in some areas- how do I do this? Also, is the staging area large enough to handle the amount of stock I am planning to run? Otherwise looks fantastic as always- thanks to Ulrich. Unless anyone has any opposition, Despite my novice status with regards to flex track, I think this will be the plan I go with. If you don't mind @Ulrich, if the item count hasn't been exhausted yet maybe you could draw in an idea for scenery- similar to the previous plans? Whenever it's convenient for you. But, if anyone spots any issues with this plan let me know- I won't start laying the track or anything until I get a majority positive opinion.