Modeling the Bluebell Railway

BluebellModeller

• RMweb Gold

Although there are lots of Bluebell photos around, including the railway's own site and the loco*, carriage and wagon lists, you can find my photos from a visit in 2011 - a bit later than your time-frame, at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4368-bluebell-railway-in-2011/

* the lists are at -  http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/locos.html   Look at the bottom of the page for the carriage and wagon list links. Clearly that link hasn't been made properly, but just do a search for Bluebell Railway locomotives.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

Still planning on using this layout, right now just waiting for the money needed to purchase the pack.  http://www.osbornsmodels.com/peco-setrack-oo-plan-7--bredon---a-classic-scenic-oval-layout-22372-p.asp

In the meantime, I'm planning on the basis for the layout. i was thinking about this old station on the Bluebell Railway that is currently out of service - the Newark and Chailey Station. I think it would be an awesome basis for the station on the Bredon layout, any thoughts? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newick_and_Chailey_railway_station

Yes I agree it's an interesting classic LBSC station. The only slight reservation I'd have is how you arrange the lie of the land of the whole layout. The Track layout you favour has sidings behind the station building so they would probably need retaining walls, if you were to choose the split level Newick and Chailey Station building arrangement. Equally much of your track work on the entire layout might then be in a deep cutting which rather hides the trains from view. On a relatively small layout that would be something I'd want to consider. 

Have a look at Barcombe LBSC station – it's also a Myres designed building but it had a single platform and would translate to the Bredon concept well.

Given how interesting the split level Newick station was/is it's such a shame it wasn't possible for it to be part of the preservation scheme.

Edited by Anglian

Incidentally, I saw something on Wikipedia the other day about an accident which killed Ronald Knapp and Winifred Standing in 1943. Other than the details given on Wikipedia, does anybody know anything more about this accident/the victims? As my ancestors came from the Crawley area (and indeed some of them lived at West Hoathly for a while) it's possible Winifred may be a relation of mine.

Incidentally, I saw something on Wikipedia the other day about an accident which killed Ronald Knapp and Winifred Standing in 1943. Other than the details given on Wikipedia, does anybody know anything more about this accident/the victims? As my ancestors came from the Crawley area (and indeed some of them lived at West Hoathly for a while) it's possible Winifred may be a relation of mine.

This was covered somewhere on the bluebell railway blog. I remember reading it. Something about the couple walking home along the line on a very dark night in the blackout... ?

I still haven't been able to find a Dapol Stepney at all. Am I missing something? I've been scouring eBay for the past two weeks or so and have come up with nothing. 

Hornby did a Stepney model in their Thomas & Friends Range. They are reasonably common, reasonably sheap and reasonably detailed:

http://pufferwillies.co.uk/uk2ecommerce/product/hornby_thomas_friends_r9750_oo_scale_stepney_-_limited_production/

There are a bunch of cottage industries out there that will do a few add on parts to make the model 'yours' (mainly by removing the face and putting a smokebox door on instead.

There is also a box set with Stepney in her current livery of lined black:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2891-Bluebell-Railway-Pack-NEW-00-gauge-1-76-scale/391916029093?hash=item5b400404a5:g:WHsAAOSwz~pZ95ej

• RMweb Gold

Stepney's Currently Livery is Improved Engine Green

post-22762-0-74716300-1509538083_thumb.jpg

Gary

PS. I will post pictures of all the locos, just need to find time to sort them all and shrink them to RMWeb sizes.

• Like 2

Hornby did a Stepney model in their Thomas & Friends Range. They are reasonably common, reasonably sheap and reasonably detailed:

http://pufferwillies.co.uk/uk2ecommerce/product/hornby_thomas_friends_r9750_oo_scale_stepney_-_limited_production/

There are a bunch of cottage industries out there that will do a few add on parts to make the model 'yours' (mainly by removing the face and putting a smokebox door on instead.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R2891-Bluebell-Railway-Pack-NEW-00-gauge-1-76-scale/391916029093?hash=item5b400404a5:g:WHsAAOSwz~pZ95ej

Well, I'm familiar with the Thomas version of the model and sadly it is very rare. I think for the time being, I'll go with the black Stepney pack. Better than nothing I guess. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, she was black when i last saw her and I hadn't heard anything about the new livery. Fair enough, I stand corrected

She was repainted as part of a cosmetic restoration in 2015. She has not run like it though as her main steam pipe failed in 2014. There is a lot of work needed but they hope to have her running in time for her 150th in 2022.

Gary

Lack of updates due to the fact that I just can't seem to raise enough money for the Bredon setup!! I know I was directed to this site Peco Setrack OO Plan 7 Bredon - a Classic Scenic Oval Layout as where to find all the pieces together, but is there anywhere that sells the whole thing for less? Probably not, but worth a shot!! 

Lack of updates due to the fact that I just can't seem to raise enough money for the Bredon setup!! I know I was directed to this site Peco Setrack OO Plan 7 Bredon - a Classic Scenic Oval Layout as where to find all the pieces together, but is there anywhere that sells the whole thing for less? Probably not, but worth a shot!!

If you are going down the Setrack route there is a little to be saved if you can list the pieces shown on the diagram and shop around. But even at a good price there are 11 simple points at around £9 each, and two curved ones at £14, so the pointwork alone will come to around £130, and it is best to buy new, don't be tempted by second hand items at this stage, as you can never be sure what you are getting. The high cost of the plain track in Setrack form surprised me. There are around 40 bits and pieces, and they appear to cost between £1 and £2.50 each, so there is perhaps another £80 there. (£1 for around 40mm of track works out at £25 per metre!) if you could take the plunge and go for using Peco flexitrack, you should be able to get enough track for £20 and have a bit left over for the fishplates you'll need.

Whilst I appreciate you want to get things running, most do start off buying a few bits at a time. I certainly agree with Nick that buying flexi track is much cheaper than set track

I can understand where Nick is coming from with second hand track, on the other hand it could be a solution and there are bargains to be had. Many of us use eBay and do get a few bargains. Just read the description and look at the photos

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-RH-3-x-LH-small-radius-Peco-Code-100-Insulfrog-points/322857329335?hash=item4b2bcbe2b7:g:eBgAAOSwQcJZ-Ltv

4 turnouts ending today, look OK with the exception of a few broken sleepers (could be repaired once laid and before ballasting

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-RH-2-x-LH-small-radius-Peco-Code-100-Insulfrog-points/322857333050?_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D48785%26meid%3Da99eb695e6ff41d4ad15600108c4800c%26pid%3D100752%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D322857329335&_trksid=p2047675.c100752.m1982

Another 4 from the same seller, again a bit tired but these certainly get you started

Further to my previous post I was going to suggest investigating the Atlas range, bearing in mind your location, but I was rather surprised to se that it appears, even with substantial discounts, to be almost twice the price of Peco, so I won't bother!

However, if you do decide to go down the flexible track route, if you have no track at the moment, I would suggest looking at adopting Peco 75 standards. As far as I can see the geometry of the small radius points is similar to Settrack but I am not that familiar with the range to be absolutely certain. You can get them with live frogs, which means better running at the expense of a bit of extra work when wiring up the layout, but there are plenty of experts here who can advise on how to do it correctly. What you will get is a better looking track, more in keeping with the Bluebell theme, even if it isn't bullhead rail.

• 2 weeks later...

sad news. Stepney is lost in the mail (kind of). He needed a signature before he could be dropped off, but no one was home. Here in the US, the mailman is supposed to leave a slip for you to schedule a redelivery time when you will be able to sign for the package. without this, I can't get him. and no one left me a slip. So...not sure what to do now.