Abbotswood and Norton Junctions - layout build

Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil

I did not realise it is nearly four years since you first put this plan up on the forum. Are you still using this as you layout basis?

I would think he is looking at the Midland being able to go in a straighter line and the chord towards Worcester being more of a left-hand turn.

I did have in mind some elaborate solutions to the storage sidings, but then I thought of something simpler.  To my shame, I don't know what direction is up or down in Worcester, I presume up is towards Oxford.

post-6973-0-58463900-1508426595_thumb.jpg

Having the Worcester yard higher than Gloucester enables a flyover for the OW&W across the Gloucester tracks, and should minimise conflicting moves.  A line at the very back could descend to meet the Gloucester lines before the goods loop diverges.  I think having the OW&W cross from the outermost side of the storage yard boards would help in having curves as wide as possible for better running.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Phil,

Not an expert in any way shape or form, and my modeling knowledge is nothing in comparison to what you’ve done, but if your thinking of servos for point control have you considered the Megapoints system? You could have push button panels for setting routes with that, and because of how it works there are only two wires from the panel to the first MP servo controller, then two from that one to the next, ie minimum wiring. One DCC connection can also control 190 odd servos so you get the best of both worlds. Just a thought.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Any more news?

Have you ordered baseboards already?

Is 5' wide an absolute maximum?

What do you think is the maximum board size that you can transport/get in and out of layout room?

Reason for asking is the idea illustrated (very roughly!) on the attached.Scan0060.pdf

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Any more news?

Have you ordered baseboards already?

Is 5' wide an absolute maximum?

What do you think is the maximum board size that you can transport/get in and out of layout room?

Reason for asking is the idea illustrated (very roughly!) on the attached.

Zero downloads (and I haven't got permission to view it either) suggests something's not right there :)  

• RMweb Gold

Zero downloads (and I haven't got permission to view it either) suggests something's not right there :)  

Thanks. I should have tested it. I will have a go at doing it some other way. I know that some file types don't work here.

Edit: Loading the pdf scan has worked - sort of. For some reason, three lines have appeared from nowhere. Anyway, the idea is that only the Midland should be "roundy-roundy" with separate storage yards on rear boards. The OWW is end to end with fiddleyards behind the scenicked bit and a rat-run between them. The idea is that it allows all rakes to be worked in both directions and gives plenty of storage roads without the boards being either enormous or some of the storage yards being bi-level. It also means that the OWW could be operated without putting up the whole layout.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for thoughts Joseph - and thanks for spending time on this.

So looking at plan as drawn, and I know its not to scale....

We really cant go bigger than 5ft boards as that will defeat the object of the build - lighter construction. Not restricted by getting in and out of any room as layout is stored on board edges in integral garage.

So as you have drawn....

Getting a fiddle yard - which has to be able to accommodate 10ft  trains - on the front scenic boards means that the minimum radius curve to get around through 180 degrees as you have drawn would be 30" - but more likely 24". Hoping to preserve sweeping curves of 60" radius - although happy to take 30" off the scenic area. So if the track went right to board edges that would be 90" to get through 180 degrees - so really has to force the fiddle yards behind the operating well, sorry! We cant go any sharper, see issues on http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116076-Hornby-announce-mk1-fo-and-bso/page-10 post 227

Taigatrommel's sketch is more likely to deliver except I am trying to avoid the tracks across the operating well so both circuits will probably have to go around at the ends of the layout - and run behind the backscene to get there

Thanks for all the input everyone - hoping to get to see Elite baseboards next week for their input. Will feed back....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had sort of assumed that the 5' scenic width would not be all one board but split lengthwise, apart perhaps, for the board where the OWW passes over the Midland.

That post on the FO/BSO thread is interesting and shows that the rtr producers have still not got their act together on some of the basics. I do agree with you about the importance of close-coupling of corridor stock.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/35-501_3177543_Qty1_1.jpg

Whilst scrolling through the forthcoming releases of Bachmann page on Hatton's website, I instantly recognised the location of the photo linked above.

One for the Cotswold route Phil? :) (Mind, it's a bit pricey)

Found the new thread!

You can still do a lot with the old Lima models, lot more work but still give a good result.

• RMweb Gold

Well spotted Liam!

Apologies had missed that post up till now. Probably a bit later than our core era - units (and there were very few!) on the Cotswold line were just as likely to be Tyseley based, so a 116 probably favourite for us - and a 120 on the Gloucester line

And no doubt the Lima route would be cheaper....sometimes comes down to available time though

Phil

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well spotted Liam!

Apologies had missed that post up till now. Probably a bit later than our core era - units (and there were very few!) on the Cotswold line were just as likely to be Tyseley based, so a 116 probably favourite for us - and a 120 on the Gloucester line

And no doubt the Lima route would be cheaper....sometimes comes down to available time though

Phil

That reminds me I have to finish my Tyseley 116 still have DMS and cab mods to do

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Terrific find Phil, there's later in the footage the old MR route from Bristol to Bath, including Staple Hill, Mangotsfield, Oldland Common, Bitton and the old SDJR shed at Bath. I don't recall seeing any film of this before.

The coaching stock was in Green, so I suspect it would have eventually made its way down the S&D. What a wonderful old grimy railway it was in 1964, under a decade before I started spotting.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing this one.

Really shocked on how few if any passengers where seen on the platforms at any of the stations.

Must watch again I’m sure I didn’t see one

Dan

The lack of passengers was why so many of the stations were closed.  Very easy nowadays to moan about all those closures back then but this film is a stark reminder about just how busy a lot of the railway wasn't in those times, unfortunately.  However it was for all its interests something of a leap from running into Gloucester in one frame to leaving Temple Meads in the next one

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing this one.

Really shocked on how few if any passengers where seen on the platforms at any of the stations.

Must watch again I’m sure I didn’t see one

Dan

The lack of passengers was why so many of the stations were closed.  Very easy nowadays to moan about all those closures back then but this film is a stark reminder about just how busy a lot of the railway wasn't in those times, unfortunately.  However it was for all its interests something of a leap from running into Gloucester in one frame to leaving Temple Meads in the next one

If there wasn't a train due there wouldn't be?

Mike.

If there wasn't a train due there wouldn't be?

Mike.

I'm not so sure about that one Mr W. There's barely any space on the Hornsey Bdy platforms for any more passengers, and they're still there when the trains have gone!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not so sure about that one Mr W. There's barely any space on the Hornsey Bdy platforms for any more passengers, and they're still there when the trains have gone!

Railway would not make much money just selling platform tickets at 1d a time.

• 5 months later...