Sandstone and the Paddock NGG16s

rhydddu

In the latest NGW magazine (October) there is on page 14 a slightly cryptic and unclear article about sandstone’s apparent failure to acquire the NGG16s stored near Paddock. Albeit there is a note that more info may be forthcoming in the next issue.

Looking on Wikipedia someone has added the following detail to the NGG16 page:

Scrapped!!! October 2017 - 114, 126, 142 and 149

In scrap condition, expected to move to patons country railway as source of spares for 116

151 - transfer of ownership to paddock motors following a court case around storage fees

139 - unclear fate.

This is terrible, does anyone else have any info? I can find nothing on the sandstone website or elsewhere.

??

Colin

I'm probably going to upset somewhere here, but over half the class of 34 are preserved in various safe, secure locations on several continents. Whilst it seems a bit of a shame to lose steam locos in 2017, I'm not sure that there's a purpose in keeping all of them as there's only a limited number of lines they can be used on, most of which have several ngg16s needing restoration themselves.

Have to agree with brack on this. As much as I like them there are "preserved" Garratts that will probably never turn a wheel again but may be used as a source of spares to keep others running. I would rather that happen than simply rot away in a siding because it has to be kept "complete" and there is no money for restoration.