Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Do not. ... while the train is in the station - no more

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#51 royaloak

royaloak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,010 posts
  • LocationIn the front pushing buttons.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:54

Retention toilets have to be drained. Certainly on road coaches drain cocks can be left open by unscrupulous operators thereby saving on draining costs and creating a similar effect to direct discharge. Don't ask me how I know as I will have to shoot one of us, and I'm nearer.

Our retention tanks are emptied by suction, not a valve on the bottom of the tank.

Mark 4s tend to overflow when full so if you are on a platform and see one approaching with a mist emanating from the underside of the carriages its best to turn your back.

Another thing to remember is at speed the waste will hit the track and atomise, it will then head off in all directions coating everything it contacts including the door handles, handrails etc.

• Informative/Useful x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#52 Fat Controller

Fat Controller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,812 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 22:12

Our retention tanks are emptied by suction, not a valve on the bottom of the tank.

Mark 4s tend to overflow when full so if you are on a platform and see one approaching with a mist emanating from the underside of the carriages its best to turn your back.

Another thing to remember is at speed the waste will hit the track and atomise, it will then head off in all directions coating everything it contacts including the door handles, handrails etc.

Even with suction emptying, things can go wrong..

Two examples come to mind. In the first case, the 'honeywagon' driver was distracted and forgot a hose was still attached. In the second, he somehow put the pump into reverse, sending the contents of the tank back up the toilets with considerable force. That took a lot of 'deep cleaning' to sort out.

#53 roythebus

roythebus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • LocationNear the 15" gauge and the 5"gauge, far from standard gauge, but 25 miles from Calais.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 23:46

Indeed. When that Turbo had an excursion off the tracks at Paddington and into a OHLE mast the damaged end went off to works for repair while the other car(s?) was simply parked up. When the cars were reunited and put back into service they discovered that the contents of the retention tank had set solid!

Is that when the unit was re-named a turdo?

#54 roythebus

roythebus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,606 posts
  • LocationNear the 15" gauge and the 5"gauge, far from standard gauge, but 25 miles from Calais.

Posted 19 October 2017 - 23:51

Back to the more serious side, on the KESR we rebuilt one of the SECR Birdcage brakes, complete with vintage lavatory (it says so on the door). It has to be locked out of use as it deposits on the track. A heritage vehicle I hear you say, but the rules are that it is a "new" vehicle, as any vehicle that has not been in service during the last 20 years cannot claim the grandfather rights of exemption from the retention tank rule.