Any Lima collectors out there....

Guest spet0114

Guest spet0114

I've always had a hankering for the sort-of-LT-liveried pannier tank that Hornby did in about 1978. The other day, I snagged one on eBay as part of a pair of locos. The other loco was this Lima 09.

09.jpg

At first, I thought it was just a normal Lima 09, albeit sadly lacking buffers and couplings. Then on closer inspection, I noticed the lack of yellow/black chevrons and the fact that it had no coupling rods. Moreover, the holes where the rods were meant to go were also absent, having been blanked out and the blanking pieces were clearly part of the frame molding.

All this made me think that this loco is probably a budget model produced for train sets. This is certainly something that Hornby did in the past, but I never knew that Lima did this. A similar loco on this website

http://mmiwakoh.de/Eigene%20Webs/lima-modellbahn/GB1%20en.htm

appears to confirm my suspicions.

So there you go, something a little out of the mainstream maybe and possibly of interest to any Lima-philes out there.

Cheers
Adrian

Edit : Oh look....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lima-vintage-train-set-09026-Goods-Set-c1976-/263078193646

Edited by spet0114
  • Like 1

I have a small collection of Lima UK outline in H0 scale, mainly private owner wagons and one 4F with South African Railways livery! I bought most of the items at swop meets and they are on display in a cabinet.

They are a bit of an oddity and I suspect they were dumped on the less discerning South African market after they failed to sell in the UK due to them being the wrong scale.

They are quite unusual and might even be collectible but there seems very little interest in them.

I have to confess to owning a couple of vintage Lima Italian wagons (and a rather rough S.A.R. 4F), but not to a specific collection. Of course, my hoard of Danish (and other) Lima H0 stock is now technically 'collectible', but was bought with the intention of building a layout. This managed two boards on the first attempt* and one on the second. A house move but paid to that....

The shunter is indeed a 'starter'. IIRC it has gear drive to the axles rather than through the coupling rods. (They must have saved at most 500 lire (about 20p at the time) per loco I would reckon!)

The Lima set in the link appears to have the decimal point in the wrong place!  A tenner at most....

* Abandoned when I discovered that Lima coaches were allergic to the reverse curve (of Lima track - 360mm radius - it was to be a rather compact layout) and derailed.

Edited by Il Grifone

All this made me think that this loco is probably a budget model produced for train sets. This is certainly something that Hornby did in the past, but I never knew that Lima did this. A similar loco on this website

http://mmiwakoh.de/Eigene%20Webs/lima-modellbahn/GB1%20en.htm

appears to confirm my suspicions.

Very interesting reading through that list.  I had forgotten that Lima marketed the LMS 4F as a NSW Government Railways Z19 class.  I don't know if anyone bought them.  By comparison, the Hornby Dublo N2 in the various liveries of the Big Four is an accurate scale model.....

I looked it up in an old Lima collectors guide. There was a train set version 101806v which was the train set version of 09026 and there was a standard release 09026 205107 which I presume had all the missing bits on. Both these appeared in 1979. However in 1988 09026 had a re release in Network southeast blue as 205225 and it states the train set version of 09026 appears in network southeast blue with no Conrods or yellow ends. As 101806v again. And in 1986 09027 appeared in a train set spec in br blue also as 103409v

I've quite a collection of Lima stock and quite satisfied with the realism and performance of 1980's lima stock, firstly there motors are quite powerful and reliable. I've a few class 08's and there good performers, there diesels of the era are good too, the only gripe is the metal casting of a few have developed mazak rot and need attention.

There coaches stand up quite well to modern standards, especially the range of parcel vans, although there deep set wheels can cause some problems on some peco points.

There bargains to be had at toy fairs etc generally don't attract silly pieces where I live compared to Hornby dublo and traing, I've found the best bargains to be found are Lima unboxed under the counter, recently 6 locos for £5 , course all the same motor mechanism.

Interesting to find out what is rare ? As it's not quite something I've the into

These were sold in a cheap starter train set with some basic wagons which had a one piece body and chassis moulding with dumb buffers..

Some years ago I wasted some time detailing a couple the van version of the later (cheap - always a Grifone attraction!). Using the ventilator to clip the roof on was a neat idea. (They did the same with their Continental vans) In both cases moving them to the correct location improves things no end. They have replaced with the far superior Dublo moulding or its later reincarnations (or is that reinplastications?   :) ),

Very interesting reading through that list.  I had forgotten that Lima marketed the LMS 4F as a NSW Government Railways Z19 class.  I don't know if anyone bought them.  By comparison, the Hornby Dublo N2 in the various liveries of the Big Four is an accurate scale model.....

I assume any resemblance is marginal.... Still they did do a C38 (which shares a chassis with a Bavarian Pacific - BR18 IIRC).

My favourite is this one  

http://images.collector-modeltrains.com/MT-0370694_96d8be18-66e8-11e1-b738-e091f5975601_00.jpg

I have two and the chassis of another powers a Märklin body of an MY (this cost me 65,000 £it in the eighties as a specially ordered spare - I really wanted one! - the chassis came from an unfortunate example acquired cheaply as a badly warped victim of the Italian sun. the vendor said it would straighten out in hot water - I didn't even try!!! ). I even lasted out 40.000 £it on the Lima MR DMU. I must have been made of money....

http://www.jernbanen.dk/Fotos/Lyntog/DSB_MR4008_1990.jpg

I don't know why the URL states 'Lyntog' it's not! IIRC Roco did one of these (or a German look alike?), but the price was definitely not Grifone friendly...

Edited by Il Grifone

I assume any resemblance is marginal.....

The resemblance didn't go much further than the colour and the number of wheels.

Here's a couple of photos I took of some 19 class locos.  In spite of dating back to 1877, the last ones weren't withdrawn until August of 1972, seven months before the end of steam!  Some had "porthole" cabs and some had cutaway cabs.

These are at Darling Harbour in 1971:

19008158733_7b4b33b14d_b.jpg

18675486255_583b67d216_b.jpg

And here's one on the Belmont line near Newcastle in 1970:

29793433481_8ae706f842_b.jpg[/url]

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 3

Lovely! this stirs memories of investigation sin the distant past. My C43 is rather lonely only having a Lima coach (I could only get one!) and an open wagon for company, I doubt the Lima S.A.R. coaches look like anything Australian either.

The 19 looks more like one of the 4F's ancestors; the Kirtley 0-6-0, as modelled by K's, but with inside frames. K's tried to pass this off as an Italian loco, which would have been OK as the Midland Railway did unload some onto the Italians, but there is a small question of scale, even allowing for Rivarossi's 1:80 scale.

The 19 looks more like one of the 4F's ancestors; the Kirtley 0-6-0, as modelled by K's, but with inside frames. K's tried to pass this off as an Italian loco, which would have been OK as the Midland Railway did unload some onto the Italians, but there is a small question of scale, even allowing for Rivarossi's 1:80 scale.

The Z19 (originally A93) class was a Beyer Peacock design which in turn was a development of a Robert Stephenson long boilered design (the E17 class) of 1865.  If anything, they were rather like some of the early NER 0-6-0s.