Rocks By Rail 15 October 2017

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

Agree, visiting on a Quarry Day when the brake van specials are also running is highly recommended. Friendly people and you can see just about everything. Great collection of Sentinel diesel shunters. Good bacon cobs in the morning too!

Dava

I can remember exhibiting "Eastwell Ironstone Company" in that shed, sometime around 1999, but i cannot remember the exact year.

Paul J.

I'd have put it a bit before 1999 myself, one of my kids was but a baby and Id it in mind it was the eldest, who's now 24.

I have to ashamedly confess I've not been there for about 20 years, which considering my interest in all things ironstone and the fact its only half an hour away, is pretty shambolic really. The standard of presentation looks remarkably high so I guess I've run out of excuses, a visit is on the cards.

• RMweb Gold

For those interested, this is a casualty trolley manufactured by Wickham.

Shown below is the very same trolley, which was preserved from Stewarts and Lloyds Buckminster quarries. 

attachicon.gifCas trolley.png

Paul A. 

That photo of Sewstern in its working days is new to me.

It brings back a lot of memories of when I lived in Buckminster and Dad managed the businesses set up there after British Steel left.

David

I'd have put it a bit before 1999 myself, one of my kids was but a baby and Id it in mind it was the eldest, who's now 24.

I have to ashamedly confess I've not been there for about 20 years, which considering my interest in all things ironstone and the fact its only half an hour away, is pretty shambolic really. The standard of presentation looks remarkably high so I guess I've run out of excuses, a visit is on the cards.

It is worth visiting for people interested in industrial heritage. We visited this year on a non operating day but the staff were still busy doing jobs. The new shed must be a godsend for storing locos out the weather and there is a good collection. The issue of course is there are too few workers and too little cash to make it really work well. I was kind of hoping to see some of the Ruston Bucyrus' at work and I am pleased to see a blue haze in the photos above. 

They really need a wealthy benefactor and some skilled welding people to repair all those rusting relics in the sidings. 

Edited by Covkid