Heljan announce next batch of O gauge Class 52 "Western"

MGR Hooper!

• 2 weeks later...

I'd been hopeful that Heljan would do another batch of this much loved loco.  The guys at Tower gave the impression that it would never happen, which I found puzzling after seeing very inflated prices for 2nd hand examples on Ebay and the speed in which they sold showed there was clear demand for them.

• 7 months later...

Tower have production sample images on their website.

To my eyes they make might have raised the headcode boxes...?

Neal

They do look a little different dont they? - I'd be interested to see a closer view of the cab front .  The blue with small yellow panels looks lovely :)

• RMweb Gold

Although difficult to tell from the photos on the Tower website, I'd agree that they appear to have corrected the headcode panel error. The panel is in a different place if you look at the adjacent vertical handrails, and it looks "right" now. The first version just jarred with me.

I passed on the last batch because of this, I'm well tempted but will need to sell some bits and pieces first to go for a £500+ model.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Although difficult to tell from the photos on the Tower website, I'd agree that they appear to have corrected the headcode panel error. The panel is in a different place if you look at the adjacent vertical handrails, and it looks "right" now. The first version just jarred with me.

I passed on the last batch because of this, I'm well tempted but will need to sell some bits and pieces firs to go for a £500+ model.

Neil

Notice the latest ones are shown with the faces of the wheels painted too - another nice little improvement.

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a look at all of the models on Heljan's stand. TBH couldn't tell if headcodes are changed - all the models with small yellow panels looked right, the ones with full yellow ends appeared a bit low, maybe someone with old/new can do the measurement to prove it one way or the other?

• 2 weeks later...

My blue weathered 'Druid' reached here (Tasmania) today from Liverpool. Absolutely blown away by the excellent weathering, the best yet on a big Heljan. Very subtle, no overspray on windows. The painting and weathering of the running gear does indeed make a huge difference compared to the first run. No bits loose or in the box, so the timber mounting seems to be making a difference.

Runs superbly, the reported miniscule discrepancy on headcode height is not registering with my eyes, in fact on overall shape and detail, I think this one trounces them in all scales, the excellent Dapol effort included. The wheel axle hubs are undershaped but I can live with it. Very pleased, and glad I got it in the window before price increases by Heljan.

Can anyone comment on whether Severn Mill plates are big enough to cover Heljan's printed numbers and plates?

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am now in receipt of D1067 Western Druid, pre-weathered by Heljan, and can confirm that she is, in nearly all respects, identical to the earlier batch of Westerns.  Heljan has done away with the black tape which was fixed to the inside of the bodyside widows on the first batch, with the result that the cavernous interior of the model is now clear for all to see (or, in the case of mine, the two huge speakers which I have fitted - and paired grimy grey - are clear for all to see).  But I can confirm that this is not a new tooling.

I note that the weathered blue version is already sold out in Blackpool, so I assume that demand has justified this second run.  

Below are a few pictures showing my Westerns on duty at Clagworth.  Enjoy.

PM

post-3981-0-68090000-1539500893_thumb.jpegpost-3981-0-64943700-1539500906_thumb.jpegpost-3981-0-24751900-1539500918_thumb.jpegpost-3981-0-20975700-1539500926_thumb.jpeg 

• Like 5