Alphagraphix KESR coaches - NLR Brake van

Dava

• RMweb Premium

Alphagraphix doesn't get too much attention on here, possibly because Roger doesn't have a website so you have to order via post & catalogue [there is a monthly advert in the Railway Modeller] or via the occasional show. I saw him at Telford where in addition to the usual card building kits and Irish locos & rolling stock he had a KESR North London Railway 'birdcage' brake van, 5 compartment MSLR coach and a LSWR Royal saloon, all 4 wheel.

The NLR van had sold out but my order arrived today, after I'd got back from having the latest dental implants fitted [ouch! He even used a hammer this time!].

Having recovered I opened the box. It's nicely packaged with good instructions and a drawing, just requires Mansell wheels, inside bearings, 0.9mm brass wire, couplings. The brass etchings are really nice. All for just GBP40 which is seriously good value in 7mm, even the MSLR coach is just 60.

The real ones ran in teak on the NLR then Col Stephens bought two which lasted till the 1940s, one painted in brown & ivory. Just the job to run behind a Dapol Terrier of your choice [bodiam in my case]. I also bought a KESR station building which comes with corrugated 'iron' card to match.

There are a couple of the real ones [bodies at least] preserved. A very handy short brake van for your light railway. Roger is on email sirberkeley@hotmail.com

post-14654-0-52275300-1508169053_thumb.jpeg

Dava

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It does not look a difficult build, 90 bends and solder on the inside. At present I'm building an 0-14 layout so it will be next year before I get back to this kit and the Gauge 0 light railway project.

Dava

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dava - Thanks for posting your photo and impressions of the Alphagraphix kits.

I have just received my Great Southern & Western Railway 1851 Fairbairn 2-2-2 ST from Roger. A bargain at £75.00. The etchings are delight to behold and the castings are beautifully crisp and neat. The instructions are really helpful and there are two fine photos of the original locos (one on the box cover) and two of a well completed model as well as a very neat CAD drawing of the loco.  (Useful as the little locos seemed to be camera shy). I picked up a catalogue from Roger at Telford and when we had an unexpected windfall it seemed as if the little engine would be just right for passenger workings on the mineral line part of my Broad Gauge / standard gauge cameo layout Alma Street Quay. I still have to buy the wheels from Slater's and handrail knobs and bearings from Roger's suggested Premier Components (which are considerably cheaper than other suppliers that I have checked). I suspect that I will be buying them on a trip to the Guildford O gauge trade show on December 2nd. The kit includes a fold-up gearbox etch and I already have an 1833 motor from Dragon Models, so I should be all ready for an enjoyable few hours work.

I think the card kits are very well designed and they provide a really good introduction to scratch building  structures, trams, coaches and wagons. The card locos provide an ideal introduction to scratchbuilding as the parts are all drawn out, ready to be converted to plastic card, brass or even tin ( a good use for those tins of biscuits that you salted away thinking they were too good to bin). I used the card building kits in school to introduce the boys to three dimensional modelling when I was teaching D&T. They managed them very well.

I look forward to seeing the NLR brake when it is completed. Hopefully I will post photos of my build when I can get my mind around the photo posting process.

Best wishes

Rich

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I came across Alphagraphix when I was checking out model railway paper kit suppliers. In due course I would like to have a go at scratchbuilding locomotives and rolling stock in card. An American company Clever Models produces amazing downloadable kits for buildings, locomotives etc. I would like to have a go at designing my own Scottish kits at some point, but too many other projects demanding my attention just now. Looking forward to seeing how your models progress.

Marlyn

• Like 1

I have three of their Irish kits to build - Would like to model Courtmacsherry in 7mm - they are really well designed and a bargain.

Looking for an Irish diesel now - the Co-Co version as I have some video of this on the line in early silver livery. I may have a long wait!

Paul R

• Like 2

• 2 years later...