Gone US

NINJA

Having been disillusioned with the way British 00 was heading with costs thought I would give US railroading a go, this has proved a winner as I have found obtaining US outline in the UK quite challenging it is back to scratchbuilding and proper modelling.

This is the Weyerhauser factory in one corner.

post-383-0-66473800-1508178410_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Turning my phone over, it looks pretty good! Did you post from an iPad? That often seems to be the cause of inverted photos.

Some more shots of your layout would be good to see.

I quite like the situation with obtaining US models. For the models you really want it's possible to import high quality from the US, but the awkwardness of doing so means that scratchbuilfing and modifying the other stuff becomes a good option, helping to prevent identikit layouts.

• RMweb Gold

post-224-0-08971700-1508192825_thumb.jpg

Having been disillusioned with the way British 00 was heading with costs thought I would give US railroading a go, this has proved a winner as I have found obtaining US outline in the UK quite challenging it is back to scratchbuilding and proper modelling.

This is the Weyerhauser factory in one corner.

• Like 8

Superb modelling sir!

For obtaining US models in the UK, there are a good few online and train show suppliers I'd recommend.

For HO stuff - Modeljunction.info is great.

For scratchbuilding, try Clevermodels.net, TeamTrackModels.com

At train shows, try Anorak's Anonymous - DCC fitted locomotives for £42 on average. Freight cars for less than a tenner!

Can't go wrong. :)

• Like 1

Interesting viewpoint. Cost was a similar incentive that set me off in US modelling, although quality was another major factor; back in the early '90s a typical Hornby or Lima diesel had a 2-axle-drive pancake motor, traction tyres, performance to match, stone-age tension-lock couplers, & prices usually double that of US locos that had all-axle drive, flywheels, way better performance, & couplers that were a decent representation of the real thing.

Obtaining them was a bit easier than today in terms of actual shops to buy from (Victors, M.G Sharps, etc) but the Internet has helped enormously since then.

• Like 1

Interesting viewpoint. Cost was a similar incentive that set me off in US modelling, although quality was another major factor; back in the early '90s a typical Hornby or Lima diesel had a 2-axle-drive pancake motor, traction tyres, performance to match, stone-age tension-lock couplers, & prices usually double that of US locos that had all-axle drive, flywheels, way better performance, & couplers that were a decent representation of the real thing.

Obtaining them was a bit easier than today in terms of actual shops to buy from (Victors, M.G Sharps, etc) but the Internet has helped enormously since then.

I share your ideas Ninja and Jason but with French trains: high cost (more than English trains), bad quality or problems of quality (in comparison with the Kato HO and N) and the lack of availability.

So American trains were an evidence for me. And I continue to like them in several scales: N, HO and O.

Nice modelling Ninja.

• Like 1

Don't rule out buying from other EU countries I've used these two , first one takes a little more effort as there is no english and they send a Paypal invoice back to you to pay with alot of german consumer stuff aswell. https://us-modellbahn.de second link is in english and straight forward http://www.rd-hobby.de I've also used this german Ebayer, good for Walthers buildings and lots of vehicles http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MODELLEISENBAHN-NORD?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

As for getting stuff from the US I do a big £400 order once a year split between friends, Parcel Force send an advance notice customs invoice which can be payed online or at the local depot(cards accepted unlike RM).

As requested by DanielB, more photos.

The one negative I have found with US modelling other than the availability of stock is that unlike our US cousins with their large house and big basements the majority of us have smaller rooms to house our hobby. We can run long trains through all the scenic sections but unable to have a decent fiddle yard to accommodate the length of these consists.

post-383-0-31954000-1508662798_thumb.jpg

post-383-0-27661600-1508662862_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

There are ways around this, but they can be hard to pull off well. I've been thinking of a double deck layout but with no room for a helix or downward grade, I've been toying with the idea of a single track staging with train cassettes and just lifting the whole train down to the equivalent staging track on the second deck.

It's not perfect but the benefits outweigh the downsides, I think.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ha ha, someone's got their Scattergun out!! :sarcastichand: no problem - I bet most of us can relate to that, & have more than one area of interest :yes:

I was going to ask how it manages to couple up to those hoppers, but maybe it has NEM mounts? Would make fitting a kadee a doddle ;)

I bet Barclays were exported far & wide, but would any reach the USA, which was 'self sufficient' for locomotives? Be interesting to know!

• Like 1

British industrial tank locos are great. Inspired by that very loco at LaGrange, I've been meaning to add a Kerr Stuart Victory to the roster for my O scale US layout.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I love your layout. :)

There is a RSH 0-6-0 preserved at LaGrange in Kentucky. I'm not sure how it got there...

http://eerie-indiana.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/restored-train-depot-with-museum-la.html

Just done some googling - apparently bought for excursion use (along with at least one Mk1!) back in the 1970s...presumably the Mk1 was used as a coupling adapter. ;)

https://flic.kr/p/qtWGDS

• Like 1

• 3 months later...