Gone US

NINJA

What I do find refreshing about railroading, it is more freight orientated, when modelling a mainline I do not need rakes of coaches and platforms.

I have one rake of streamliners and a couple of Budd RDC's.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of these canisters aboard the gondola.

I am presently building a cement distribution facility and I think I once saw these canisters were related to the cement industry.

Thanks.

post-383-0-67585200-1532341179_thumb.jpg

Can anyone tell me the purpose of these canisters aboard the gondola.

I am presently building a cement distribution facility and I think I once saw these canisters were related to the cement industry.

Thanks.

Pressurised containers for transporting dry cement, used before covered hoppers:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=BfbYjCQvLvcC&pg=PA28&lpg=PA28&dq=railroad+gondola+canister+load&source=bl&ots=qiUQV0imt_&sig=QyeuDNC0SbYk1wDd5TwAedvEmKU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5oov1kbbcAhWjOH0KHZ6tBRA4ChDoATAAegQIBRAB#v=onepage&q=railroad%20gondola%20canister%20load&f=false

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/156787.aspx

Thanks pH for that info.

I am concentrating my layout in the 70's so these containers would be largely obsolete by then after reading the info you posted.

Will find an alternative use for them.

Thanks pH for that info.

I am concentrating my layout in the 70's so these containers would be largely obsolete by then after reading the info you posted.

They're probably too late for the 70s, but with a hole drilled in the top might look like public glass recycling "Bottle Banks"...

Thanks pH for that info.

If you're modelling the 70s you'll need to remove the website address from the gondola.

Nick

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am slowly progressing my cityscape, can anyone give me advice on a quick and simple way of doing the shop interiors, I don't want to get bogged down in respective of time filling them.

Maybe you could use a simplified version of the highly effective photo-based interiors as seen on the A&O:

http://forum.aorailroad.com/t/mount-union-development-commitee/575/25

(see latest posts)

You could perhaps just use a suitable photo flat across the interior for now, and come back later with more 3D content if you have the time and inclination.  ;)  

Pete

Edited by GP9u