• RMweb Gold

Beautiful. One thing it needs is a protective iron strip on the corner of the bridge on the tow path side. This protects the masonry from being damaged by the tow ropes of horse drawn boats. The ropes were made of cotton, but even so the iron gets worn away over the years as you can see on the grooves in this picture.

Mim

Thanks for the information Mim, will be adding those to the corner of the bridge.

Regards Paul.

A couple of "ifs" :-

If the hose drawn cab is used (a lovely little model, BTW), Do the time-lines for Cab and the Loco overlap? ( I ask out of ignorance and idleness in not looking for myself !)

If you do add the cable-worn protective iron corners, they would only be on the tow path side. the wear was due to dirt picked up from the tow path acting like sand-paper.

Depending on a decision to make your boat horse-drawn, or not, you would need a short "mast" at the bow to attach the tow rope to. 

Many canal bridges carried, on the road side, a cast iron plate warning that the structure was only capable of supporting local traffic, effectively a weight limit for motorised vehicles. Any one got a photo of such a cast plate?

• RMweb Premium

A couple of "ifs" :-

If the hose drawn cab is used (a lovely little model, BTW), Do the time-lines for Cab and the Loco overlap? ( I ask out of ignorance and idleness in not looking for myself !)

If you do add the cable-worn protective iron corners, they would only be on the tow path side. the wear was due to dirt picked up from the tow path acting like sand-paper.

Depending on a decision to make your boat horse-drawn, or not, you would need a short "mast" at the bow to attach the tow rope to. 

Many canal bridges carried, on the road side, a cast iron plate warning that the structure was only capable of supporting local traffic, effectively a weight limit for motorised vehicles. Any one got a photo of such a cast plate?

The towing mast may not be in the scene, it is set back about 15 foot from the front of a bow.

If you need to know more I can post some pics later

Andy

Weight restriction plates.

I have not found one yet locally on a canal bridge, but here are a couple of pictures of a cast plate attached to a bridge in South Derbyshire over Repton Brook about half a mile from it's confluence with the River Trent. It does not apply these days, the bridge has a cast concrete lining. Canal bridges were owned by the Canal Company and would have different wording in their warning to drivers.

In the pictured plate I like the reference to vehicles of Ponderous Weight !

post-136-0-88933000-1510785902_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-43422600-1510786074_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely deserved - a quite stunning piece of modelling which is endlessly inspiring!

I'm never usually a fan of the 'flatness' of Scalescenes (even though the kits are seriously impressive and well designed) but I think modelling like this would sway me otherwise!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well deserved! One of my favourites so far.

Thank you Corbs.

Absolutely deserved - a quite stunning piece of modelling which is endlessly inspiring!

I'm never usually a fan of the 'flatness' of Scalescenes (even though the kits are seriously impressive and well designed) but I think modelling like this would sway me otherwise!

Thank you Chris, the Scalescenes kits are great for kit bashing and enhancing.

Very nice, can I ask where you got the cat from, I'm going to add one to mine.

Jerry.

Thank you Jerry, the cat is from Langley models.

Regards Paul.

• RMweb Gold

I was glad to see it in BRM, instantly recognizable.

You were also one of the first to finish. Will there be another one?

Thank you Mikkel, yeah I’ve got a few ideas floating around my head at the moment, although Christmas is a super busy time for me at work so probably won’t start anything until after the new year.

Stunning work

Thank you Edwardian.

Regards Paul.

• Like 1

A big thanks to BRM for putting my cake box entry in the January addition. Really pleased, its the first time I have had anything published. Also a massive thanks to all those that have rated and left comments on this project. Earlier this year I had kind of lost my modelling mojo. But this competition has really helped to kickstart it again.

attachicon.gifC7700EA0-949A-4C58-83C0-F3656DB1D776.jpegattachicon.gif48042783-C6A9-4B02-99B4-CFA6092C5862.jpeg

Thanks for looking. Regards Paul.

Very effective and well finished.

Love the reflection in the canal, though you do have to be careful what gets reflected in it!!!

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Emailed my entry into ‘ cakeboxchallenge@warnersgroup.co.uk’ today. 200 words ish plus 3 photos.

attachicon.gif34750CEE-2A97-4801-A174-8A9F9B158C63.jpeg

Good luck to everyone who has entered.

Regards Paul.

Hi Paul

This looks superb and the narrow boat emerging from the bridge really does set it off. Could I please ask how you painted and weathered the granite setts and cobblestones? They really look right and I'm having trouble getting a quayside scene to look right just now. It's in H0 but the size of stones isn't that constant.

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul

This looks superb and the narrow boat emerging from the bridge really does set it off. Could I please ask how you painted and weathered the granite setts and cobblestones? They really look right and I'm having trouble getting a quayside scene to look right just now. It's in H0 but the size of stones isn't that constant.

Thank You, I start by painting the cobblestones grey, once this is dry I paint over them with black paint and wipe this of while the paint is still wet, this leaves the black paint in all the crevices, I then use weathering powders. Same technic for granite setts. Hope that helps. Photos below to illustrate.

post-25708-0-01861800-1544005195_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-97768100-1544005234_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-10979000-1544005287_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-37636600-1544005345_thumb.jpegpost-25708-0-64083600-1544005382_thumb.jpeg

Regards Paul.

• Like 2

Thank You, I start by painting the cobblestones grey, once this is dry I paint over them with black paint and wipe this of while the paint is still wet, this leaves the black paint in all the crevices, I then use weathering powders. Same technic for granite setts. Hope that helps. Photos below to illustrate.

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_f4.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_f3.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_f8.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_ef.jpegattachicon.giffullsizeoutput_fc.jpeg

Regards Paul.

Thanks very much Paul, that does help a great deal. I've heard people suggesting Halfords grey primer as a useful base grey. I think my problem has been using too dark a colour - real setts and cobbles, as you've shown, seem to be in the upper half of the black-white spectrum.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks very much Paul, that does help a great deal. I've heard people suggesting Halfords grey primer as a useful base grey. I think my problem has been using too dark a colour - real setts and cobbles, as you've shown, seem to be in the upper half of the black-white spectrum.  

Please remember Halfords sell two different grey primers, one for metal and one for plastics (bumpers and wing mirrors etc) it is important to get the right one

Andy

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...