ROYAL COACH STOCK

There are at least two carriages in the current Royal Train which you can't get as RTR models. I've built both for a friend. Hurst Models do the brass side overlays to convert other carriages.

Brian Kirby has some good photographs of the train on the Net, that may be as good a starting point as any for you.

• RMweb Premium

The train changes all the time, depending on who is travelling.

A formation during 2012 was as follows, top and tailed by Class 67’s:

2921 Royal Household Couchette, Kitchen, Brake Van

2903 HM The Queen’s Lounge, Bedroom, Bathroom

2916 Royal Family Dining Car, Kitchen

2922 HRH The Prince of Wales Sleeping Car

2923 HRH The Prince of Wales Saloon

2917 Royal Household Dining Car

2915 Royal Household Sleeping Car

2920 Royal Household Couchette, Diesel Generator, Brake Van

Most times, HM The Queen wont travel without HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh, but HRH The Prince of Wales does use the train alone sometimes. Only HM The Queen, HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh, HRH The Prince of Wales, and HRH The Duchess Of Cornwall are allowed to use the train, owing to a law that parliament passed to keep the running costs down. Other members of the Royal Family may travel, but only if one of those 4 are also travelling.

Hurst Models always seem to be out of stock of the etched brass sides. No point emailing them about it either as they never reply.

The train changes all the time, depending on who is travelling.

A formation during 2012 was as follows, top and tailed by Class 67’s:

2921 Royal Household Couchette, Kitchen, Brake Van

2903 HM The Queen’s Lounge, Bedroom, Bathroom

2916 Royal Family Dining Car, Kitchen

2922 HRH The Prince of Wales Sleeping Car

2923 HRH The Prince of Wales Saloon

2917 Royal Household Dining Car

2915 Royal Household Sleeping Car

2920 Royal Household Couchette, Diesel Generator, Brake Van

Most times, HM The Queen wont travel without HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh, but HRH The Prince of Wales does use the train alone sometimes. Only HM The Queen, HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh, HRH The Prince of Wales, and HRH The Duchess Of Cornwall are allowed to use the train, owing to a law that parliament passed to keep the running costs down. Other members of the Royal Family may travel, but only if one of those 4 are also travelling.

Hurst Models always seem to be out of stock of the etched brass sides. No point emailing them about it either as they never reply.

Thank you very much. All the info I need, From NZ. Power of the web. Have a beer on me. 

• RMweb Premium

Haha I will certainly do that. I also have a formation when it was hauled by BR King Class No.6024 King Edward I on the Severn Valley Railway if that’s of interest to you as well. Tornado and a Duchess Of Sutherland have also Hauled it in preservation years. I plan to convert Mk2 & Mk3 coaches with the Hurst etched sides, if they ever come back into stock, once I have completed my Royal Scotsman rake

Haha I will certainly do that. I also have a formation when it was hauled by BR King Class No.6024 King Edward I on the Severn Valley Railway if that’s of interest to you as well. Tornado and a Duchess Of Sutherland have also Hauled it in preservation years. I plan to convert Mk2 & Mk3 coaches with the Hurst etched sides, if they ever come back into stock, once I have completed my Royal Scotsman rake

Your a braver man than me, don't think I have the skills to do a conversion. Regards.

• RMweb Premium

Lol yeah it’s not the easiest but in theory it only involves sanding back window frames and opening out new window holes then adding the etched sides. I say in theory because I know it’s bound to be more than that lol