254 Small Suppliers Forum

255 The Craft of Carriage Building Part 2 by Alan Brackenborough

261 Refining Heljan's Class 47 by James Wells

265 Canada Street and the Inlaid Track by Peter Johnson

273 Swinton Bridge by Andrew Gibson

279 Letters

280 Diary

280 Obituary - Richard Chown

Looks to be a good read - photographs of Arun Quay are superb, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at Uckfield this weekend.

http://www.uckfieldmrc.co.uk/exhib17nf.html

I believe there may be a very limited number of MRJ 258s on sale at the show - depends whether the exhibitors get there first!

Edited by adrianmc
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Always sad when the contents list includes an obituary. I didn't know Richard Chown personally, but it's a sad fact that none of us last for ever.

The rest of the magazine looks to be excellent.

Edited by Captain Kernow

It looks like - for once - the sub copy arrived before it's on the shelves! Hooray!

I meant to have a more detailed look at mine last night but got no further than the Arun Quay article, which is a wonderful account of an obviously superb layout. There are riches there which will take me a little while to unearth!

• RMweb Gold

Just had a quick flick through my copy which arrived today and it ranks as a classic issue in my opinion, with something for everyone.

Arun Quay, as one would expect from Gordon Gravett, is superb and as a 7mm modeller myself (with only an 8ft length at my disposal for a potential layout), shows just what can be done in a limited space. I was fortunate enough to see it in an unfinished form at the Warminster exhibition earlier this year and look forward to seeing it again, now it's complete - the photos have certainly whetted my apetite for more!

I'm looking forward to a proper look later this evening.

Regards

Dan

• Like 1

When I was having my second good read yesterday evening I at first thought my eyes were playing up as I couldn't make out all the varied colours for laser-cutting that are mentioned in the wonderful Bridge article.

A good look in daylight this morning confirmed that they aren't there - either that or my colour vision is way off beam.

Oh deary me...

Still a classic issue, though.

• RMweb Gold

When I was having my second good read yesterday evening I at first thought my eyes were playing up as I couldn't make out all the varied colours for laser-cutting that are mentioned in the wonderful Bridge article.

A good look in daylight this morning confirmed that they aren't there - either that or my colour vision is way off beam.

Oh deary me...

Still a classic issue, though.

All colours present and correct in my subs copy, which arrived this morning.

And what an excellent issue it is - as seems to be the norm (excuse the pun) when Mr. Norman is the editor. It was bit disturbing to recognise some of the Pendon great and good as their Modelu figures in Small Suppliers; and I really must also remonstrate gently with Gordon Gravett when he says that Arun Quay is “terribly contrived and unprototypical” - very rarely have I seen modelling that captures the essence and atmosphere of a location so well, and just looks so right. There are probably only half a dozen layouts in my lifetime that have captured the sense of place so perfectly (and the Gravetts have been responsible for half of those). It is a masterpiece, and thank you for sharing it with us.

• Like 2

I remember buying MRJ 50 (now well thumbed) with Ditchling Green as a feature - quite stunning.....and even better in the flesh. Saw Arun Quay at Warminster...I actually think the concept and background are the best. Just like looking across a creek at Bosham or similar.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived in the post this morning and looks very good.

I was a bit confused by the advert for LMS Review No.3 on the inside of the front cover, it doesn't say whether the publisher is Wild Swan or Cygnet.

Captain, oh my Captain - according to the website http://www.lmsreview.co.uk/ it’s a Cygnet publication...

I know. I was shocked. Something emanating from Hagbourne Road with an associated website. These are indeed strange times in which we live.

Edited to add link to website

Edited by Zero Gravitas

• RMweb Premium

Captain, oh my Captain - according to the website http://www.lmsreview.co.uk/ it’s a Cygnet publication...

I know. I was shocked. Something emanating from Hagbourne Road with an associated website. These are indeed strange times in which we live.

Edited to add link to website

The link to Midland Record just takes you to the relevant page of the Midland Railway Society's website - the Society's Publications Officer holds the entire backnumber stock.

All colours present and correct in my subs copy, which arrived this morning.

And what an excellent issue it is - as seems to be the norm (excuse the pun) when Mr. Norman is the editor. It was bit disturbing to recognise some of the Pendon great and good as their Modelu figures in Small Suppliers; and I really must also remonstrate gently with Gordon Gravett when he says that Arun Quay is “terribly contrived and unprototypical” - very rarely have I seen modelling that captures the essence and atmosphere of a location so well, and just looks so right. There are probably only half a dozen layouts in my lifetime that have captured the sense of place so perfectly (and the Gravetts have been responsible for half of those). It is a masterpiece, and thank you for sharing it with us.

I certainly agree about the quality of the issue - absolutely smashing.

But no, I really can't see - for instance - the pink lines on the restricted height bridge sign. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the article, though. Indeed, it's a bit of a treat to have an article on laser-cutting components

• RMweb Premium

What is going on with the newsagent copies?

Yesterday there were till eight copies of the previous issue in Smiths in Shrewsbury ( suspect most of the batch). No sign of copies or 258 in Smiths there or in Newtown though 257 disappeared a week or so ago.

Jonathan

• RMweb Premium

What is going on with the newsagent copies?

Yesterday there were till eight copies of the previous issue in Smiths in Shrewsbury ( suspect most of the batch). No sign of copies or 258 in Smiths there or in Newtown though 257 disappeared a week or so ago.

Jonathan

Smiffs normally change the mag on a Thursday.

258 arrived here in the Fens on Tuesday - Hooray!

It also contained a renewal notice - Boo!

It's definitely worth continuing my subscription - Hooray!

I have to scrabble around for a chequebook - Boo!

I found one, it's the wife's - and she signed it!! - Hooray!!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Thursday. Much rejoicing in the Marches. No 258 in Smiths this morning. Only three weeks late.

Does that mean three weeks to wait for the next issue, due 16th November?

Happy reading this afternoon.

Jonathan

Edited by corneliuslundie