Muddy's 1st Generation DMUs work bench

muddys-blues

Hello, and welcome to my new work bench thread, the topics in this thread in the main will be build of rolling stock for my layout which at the time of writing up this thread is still at a very embryonic stage.

I have been plodding on with the baseboard build, and I had set myself of goal of not touching any rolling stock kits until the boards are fully up, but after the bad start to the week with storm damage at work I thought I would treat myself to some kit building therapy and a little distraction from the baseboards.

So I am starting off this thread building one of the Easybuild's DMU kits, this kit is in the main just a 2 car 116 / 117 unit, but as the body layout is also related to the BRCW class 118 cousin this is what I have always had in mind when I ordered this kit,  my layout is to be set somewhere in the West Country, a location yet to be confirmed, so I have been building a list of DMU sets that I wish to model for the layout, all the units I will be modelling will be prototypes that have been seen in books or on the web, the units are being modelled as they where during the period of 1970 - 1978

The unit I am starting with is set number P480, this ran as a 2 car Class 118 unit out of Laira depot, it comes out of one of my modelling prototype bibles "First Generation DMUs in colour for the Modeller and Historian" compiled by Stuart Mackay, I also spend much time loitering on the www.railcar.co.uk  website, this is an excellent site for tons of information on DMUs,

post-8721-0-18822100-1508437914_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-86654300-1508437950_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-87420000-1508437975.jpg

So from left to right, one of the Bibles I use for inspiration, middle picture, the lower picture was my inspiration for this modelling project as great shot form 1978 showing a member if the 118 class without cab marker lights instead running with 2 x domino dots in the cab roof headcode box, and the 3rd picture showing the set at Bere Alston.

** I have listed all the copyright names on the pictures hoping this covers me to use on this thread, please notify me if this is a problem **

So I have started with a little fettling of the cab and inner end removing any of the mouldings that are not required, then as per the instructions it was bath time for all the plastic parts to remove any moulding or releasing agents, here are some pictures below .... 

post-8721-0-71863800-1508438875_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-37566700-1508438899_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-11517300-1508438923_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-68893300-1508438962_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-59597100-1508438989_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-29088500-1508439020_thumb.jpg

I hope the pictures are of some interest to some of you, that's it for now on the updates, I will be preparing the seats tonight as I am just after a nice easy task "one where I can sit and chat with Mrs B whilst doing some modelling.

My updates won't be a full step by step build, but I will try and keep them regular and pointing out any problems I encounter along the way.

Many thanks

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 13

Craig,

I shall follow with interest.

Me too. Is it possible to sand down the sides and end profiles at all, to recreate that characteristic Suburban body shape (straight down from cantrail to waist and then tucking in towards the solebar)? I can understand why Shawn used his standard Mk1/Class 108 profile extrusions for these kits, but the Suburbans were a completely different shape and I've often wondered whether some modest reprofiling would be possible, bearing in mind the depth of the plastic. I'd be very interested in your views on whether this would be possible or worth doing.

Thanks for sharing the build with us,

David

• Like 1

Looks an interesting project mate, a bit complicated for a 4mm duffer like me, but interesting none the less.

Hi Andy .... good to see you are still in denial & loitering on the 7mm pages  :tomato: , these EB kits aren't too complicated really, just the next size up version of a 4mm DC kits  model, and you Sir are far from a duffer modeller  :declare:

Best regards

Craig

Nice to see a Bog Cart thread.

Sorry I'm a bit late to the party, I didn't get back till 8pm ish last night.

I will look forward to regular updates, if only to tease Andy some more about the virtues of that little 7mm shunting plank!!!

Keep the updates coming.

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

Me too. Is it possible to sand down the sides and end profiles at all, to recreate that characteristic Suburban body shape (straight down from cantrail to waist and then tucking in towards the solebar)? I can understand why Shawn used his standard Mk1/Class 108 profile extrusions for these kits, but the Suburbans were a completely different shape and I've often wondered whether some modest reprofiling would be possible, bearing in mind the depth of the plastic. I'd be very interested in your views on whether this would be possible or worth doing.

Thanks for sharing the build with us,

David

Hello David thanks for taking an interest, and yes the profile is something I am going to look I to this weekend and see if it is plausible to take off some of the curve further down the body.

Best regards

Craig

Hello, just a little update on the 118 build, due to Family commitments this weekend I have just managed to get on with a little bit of work on building up the seats, some may ask why not get on with the body builds, as time has been short I would rather get on with some little quick jobs that can easily be jumped on and off when time permits, so I decided to tackle what can be a tedious jobs, a standard 63.5' High Density DMU car has a good number of seats - this DMBS (Driving Motor Brake Second) has 26 x 2 persons seats & 39 x 3 person seats, the DMS (Driving Motor Second) has 34 x 2 persons seats & 57 x 3 persons seats, so in modelling terms that is 62 lots of seat mouldings to make up.

I must admit I have found it therapeutic ....... possibly until I decided to say to myself, it's 7mm modelling, I will be fitting saloon lighting, why not model those cute little grab handles that you find on the first lot of 4 seats on each side of both cars ??? anyway here is what I have fashioned on 1 set of seats to see how they come out, the handle is made from an 8mm staple looped around a scriber ... I may come to regret this yet  :O 1st picture is the real thing from the Railcar Website, and the 2nd & 3rd are my first effort on one of the seats.

Best regards

Craig.

post-8721-0-62614000-1508700315.jpg post-8721-0-29009000-1508700100_thumb.jpg post-8721-0-16020100-1508700138_thumb.jpg

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 5

Hello, just a little update on the 118 build, due to Family commitments this weekend I have just managed to get on with a little bit of work on building up the seats, some may ask why not get on with the body builds, as time has been short I would rather get on with some little quick jobs that can easily be jumped on and off when time permits, so I decided to tackle what can be a tedious jobs, a standard 63.5' High Density DMU car has a good number of seats - this DMBS (Driving Motor Brake Second) has 26 x 2 persons seats & 39 x 3 person seats, the DMS (Driving Motor Second) has 34 x 2 persons seats & 57 x 3 persons seats, so in modelling terms that is 62 lots of seat mouldings to make up.

I must admit I have found it therapeutic ....... possibly until I decided to say to myself, it's 7mm modelling, I will be fitting saloon lighting, why not model those cute little grab handles that you find on the first lot of 4 seats on each side of both cars ??? anyway here is what I have fashioned on 1 set of seats to see how they come out, the handle is made from an 8mm staple looped around a scriber ... I may come to regret this yet  :O 1st picture is the real thing from the Railcar Website, and the 2nd & 3rd are my first effort on one of the seats.

Best regards

Craig.

attachicon.gifClass 118 front saloon.jpg attachicon.gifphoto 1 (4).JPG attachicon.gifphoto 2 (4).JPG

I reckon it would be easier to plait fog!!!!!

Seriously though, those little intricate details are one of the draws of 7mm, and once the lighting is switched on in the saloon, all your hard work will be worth it!

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Craig,

Well done on starting the thread - I'm following along.  Still working on my etched brass NER loco as and when time allows, but I seem to be doing ok with it, so one of the Easybuild Class 101s or 108s is next on my list.  Hoping I maybe able to pick up some pointers from your build ;)

Rich

• Like 1

Excellent work on the seat Craig, what paints will you use for the seats and striping in the material, will you also be doing the nice luggage racks?

Will I see it in a couple of weeks?

Hello Andy, thanks for your comments, there will be no striping on the seats as they will be 1970's guise of plain blue with greenish hint, if you remember they where of a cheque pattern that wasn't too obvious so I can get away with a plain blue, have a look at Spenc's Marleigh thread, he has a great picture of his 108 seats, they look so tired and worn when he had finished painting them, tonight I have just completed put all the seats together and bending 15 x more grab handles, I am now a bit bogged eyed, tomorrow I plan to undercoat the seats and make a start on prepping the body sides, so I am hoping to be posting a good number of pictures on here tomorrow night.

Craig.

• Like 3

Hello Andy, thanks for your comments, there will be no striping on the seats as they will be 1970's guise of plain blue with greenish hint, if you remember they where of a cheque pattern that wasn't too obvious so I can get away with a plain blue, have a look at Spenc's Marleigh thread, he has a great picture of his 108 seats, they look so tired and worn when he had finished painting them, tonight I have just completed put all the seats together and bending 15 x more grab handles, I am now a bit bogged eyed, tomorrow I plan to undercoat the seats and make a start on prepping the body sides, so I am hoping to be posting a good number of pictures on here tomorrow night.

Craig.

I wouldn't know bout the insides Craig, I've never seen one to my knowledge, will you stain the seats as per Bum rubs etc? hahha

Looking forward to the pics mate.

I will follow this with interest, growing up in Cardiff I saw a lot of the WR sets in the 70s including some of the lesser ones which always seemed to be more interesting. Such as the 2 car 120s with headlights, the 120s with box headcode s, the odds ones like the Canton refurbished 116 with a Met Cam blue centre car...

Have fancied something like this myself, a 2 car, a 25/22 with a couple of chaina clays. Basic railway 70s style. Heljan are promising 117s and 120s for those with deep pockets.

Keep it up !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

looking forward to seeing how this works out.

I have a DMU kit on my desk myself to start in the new year, concerned that the body profile doesn't represent the 117/118 actual shape of these easybuild kits, the top half of the bodyside is flat not curved on the real things..