Forced perspective

traction

• RMweb Gold

I've been wanting to try this for ages and this challenge lends itself to it, Still don't know if I will actually complete this or not but I had to try.

I've been playing about to see if could actually work, not too sure as yet, it doesn't actually look as bad as I thought it was going to.

post-6745-0-67856800-1508446905_thumb.jpg

post-6745-0-72393400-1508446928_thumb.jpg

Luckily I have two identical figures, the front one is OO the back is N.
the mail van and Banana van are both N as well.

The building starts at OO and ends at N, it is 150mm long, going "into" the scene.
As I know the starting size and where it finishes and what size it will finish at this gives the dimensions to follow.
One thing I have found is not to use brick work, you would need to create each course of bricks and taper them down as they go "into" the scene.
So coloured rendered is the way forward.

This is what it looks like from above, nothing has moved from the above two photos only the camera position.

post-6745-0-43270500-1508447194_thumb.jpg

Needs more work and I probably won't enter it, hopefully its more of a bit of inspiration for everyone.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 19

Looks good, the houses in relation to the people and van looks spot on. The only thing I would say is the Wagon looks to me too tall in relation to the building? Not sure if this is because the track needs setting down, or if it is because I expect the wagon to be further away than the buildings and therefore needs to be to an even smaller scale.

I hope this doesn't sound critical, and is helpful. Really like what you have done with the rest and would love to see it developed through.

Tref.

• RMweb Premium

Looks good, I like the idea, but wouldn't have the patience to do it myself!  I did wonder the same as Tref though, whether you might be better not to go right down to 2mm scale in the row of houses, otherwise by the time you get to the backscene you'll be down to 1mm/ft scale.  Of course, that might be your plan, in which case, ignore this!  That said, I think the overall effect will outweigh any real minor scale discrepancies, and look forward to seeing it progress.  It's definitely a good idea not to go for brickwork on the houses, but when I first saw it I automatically envisioned a cobbled street, which would be just as bad!

• 2 months later...

Impressive sketch and work-up.

Perspective needs the ground to 'rise' so that the transverse railway section blocks the vanishing point from the viewer.

The furthest structure needs to close down the visible space for viewing the railway.

Whilst this will limit what is on view, it should complete the illusion of the railway being away in the middle distance.

View blockers allow for the back scene to be either a large section of sky or photographic view over a city skyline.

Might there be a structure for the right-hand side?

By fully forcing perspective a light engine and perhaps a brake van could travel on and off stage and be masked behind the buildings either side.

Edited by Sturminster_Newton

• 2 weeks later...

Impressive sketch and work-up.

Perspective needs the ground to 'rise' so that the transverse railway section blocks the vanishing point from the viewer.

The furthest structure needs to close down the visible space for viewing the railway.

Whilst this will limit what is on view, it should complete the illusion of the railway being away in the middle distance.

View blockers allow for the back scene to be either a large section of sky or photographic view over a city skyline.

Might there be a structure for the right-hand side?

By fully forcing perspective a light engine and perhaps a brake van could travel on and off stage and be masked behind the buildings either side.

Hope you can keep going with this one, Ian? It is a challenge, but additional scenic features as suggested by ‘Sturminster’ will help create that ‘trompe l’oeil’ effect. I struggled with perspective visuals when I was a student, but they eventually came right.

Marlyn

PS The roof of the banana van and the post office van are both in the dominant colour ‘red’ which visually brings them to the fore. If you could tone them down with some weathering that would also strengthen the forced perspective illusion.

Edited by Marly51

There was a small Dutch diorama at the nec that featured forced perspective, was larger than a cakebox but well done , worked best when viewed from directly in front.sorry don't remember the name but have attached photo I took there.a steam tram and trailer crossed over the bridge

post-369-0-42432500-1515394206_thumb.png

Edited by kernowtim
  • Like 5