ADK's Workbench

ADK92

I've been lurking on RMweb for a while and have been inspired by many topics, so thought it about time I started to share some of my own models and hopefully inspire others.

I currently don't have room to start building a layout, but my plan for the future is to build a layout depicting part of the old Didcot to Newbury line. Being from Didcot I use to enjoy going for walks along the old track bed, especially in the summer. Anyway, the layout will have to wait, but I have started building up some of the rolling stock.

First off is a kit built Martin Finney 'Duke'. Thanks to Brassmasters for re-introducing the MF range, this is the second MF kit I've built, the first being a GWR 47xx. I have only just finished the Duke, although a coal load still needs to be applied to the tender.

post-25942-0-72029300-1508580935_thumb.jpg

Next is an old Hornby Dean Goods with a High Level Chassis. Much fun was had building this as it went together really well. post-25942-0-68383100-1508580947_thumb.jpg

Now a couple of wagons, the brown vehicles are from Parkside and the PO Wagons are from POW Sides.

post-25942-0-80862600-1508580964_thumb.jpgpost-25942-0-97113700-1508580975_thumb.jpg

That should be enough for now, I have a few projects on the workbench and will update more soon.

Cheers

ADK

Edited by ADK92
  • Like 17

This afternoon was spent finishing a Cambrian GWR Sleeper wagon. The sleeper load was made up of some spare C&L sleepers and chairs (been experimenting with building my own track). I then set about making the shackles. 

post-25942-0-41710300-1508603824_thumb.jpg

They were then painted and fitted to the wagon.

post-25942-0-18943500-1508603836_thumb.jpg

Thats all for today

ADK

• Like 12

Right... My first proper workbench post is going to be on this, a GWR N6 horse box.  

post-25942-0-54319900-1508862484_thumb.jpg

I've done plenty of brass kits before, but this should be a simple one to get this workbench topic going. 

ADK

• Like 6

Hi ADK,

Welcome to the forum! I was like you, long time lurker before I plucked up the courage to have a post or three and I don't regret doing so for a minute! There is some excellent work here good sir! I look forward to the horse of build - nothing like a nice brass wagon kit is there? The shackles are good too. It's the bit of doing open wagon lode like this that I like the least bit it does make the difference to the finished job doesn't it?

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi ADK,

Another welcome from me. Can I ask, where did you get the lettering for your T12? Mine is still in naked grey but now I hae a load ready to go in it, I feel I should complete the lettering before filling it with sleepers.

TIA

Ric

Hi ADK,

Another welcome from me. Can I ask, where did you get the lettering for your T12? Mine is still in naked grey but now I hae a load ready to go in it, I feel I should complete the lettering before filling it with sleepers.

TIA

Ric

Hi Ric, the lettering is made up of HMRS & Modelmaster transfers...

The sleepers and chains took a while to do, but were worth it in the end. 

ADK

Progress on the horse box is going well. 

post-25942-0-93532500-1508961167_thumb.jpg

post-25942-0-79850900-1508960972_thumb.jpg

The brake gear is proving to be quite fiddly so I gave up for this evening...  One of the axles is pivoted to provide some form of suspension, although how effective it is remains to be seen. Some of the instructions are a bit vague as well so a bit guess work is going on. 

It's currently having a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.

ADK

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Can I ask, where did you get the lettering for your T12? Mine is still in naked grey but now I hae a load ready to go in it, I feel I should complete the lettering before filling it with sleepers.

Cambridge Custom Transfers do a sheet for all the Cambrian Kits, including the 'Return to Hayes' lettering for the T 12. It's sheet C 89:

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

Looks like you might want to pack one of the axles to get the thing level. (Unless the pic is skewed a bit.)

I agree it does look a bit on the wonk. I placed it on a piece of track and measured the height from the top of the rail to the centre of each buffer and they all seem to be within 0.5mm. I'll blame it on my poor photography skills...

I eventually finished off the chassis and then began making up the sides. The sides come in two separate bits, you get an inner piece which has all the door hinges that fold out and an outer overlay with all the detail on. The inner sides were made up first. 

post-25942-0-56240600-1509193104_thumb.jpg

I then fitted the footsteps to the grooms end and soldered it all up into a nice box. I added some scrap etch to the inside with some nuts attached so I can separate the body and chassis for painting and glazing. 

post-25942-0-73840300-1509193118_thumb.jpg

The instructions then said to fit the overlays and then add the door strapping. I decided to ignore this and fit all the strapping first. The strapping is really delicate and easily bent out of shape. The bits on the inside of the strapping are meant to fold over to double the thickness but I couldn't see a way of folding them with out distorting everything. In the end I chopped them off and then soldered them in place. This is a before and after shot. 

post-25942-0-15690800-1509193131_thumb.jpg

All the strapping was fitted to the overlay. 

post-25942-0-36947400-1509193141_thumb.jpg

Overlays were then fitted and the whole thing is starting to take shape. 

post-25942-0-78340600-1509193152_thumb.jpg

One thing I have noticed so far is:

A) My soldering needs improving

B) Close up pictures are cruel

C) Pictures never actually do the model any justice. 

Also can someone offer some advice on the safety chains. The instructions say they were removed at the start of the 20th century, as I'm modelling this near the end of its life (about 1930) the chains would have been removed.  Would the loops, that the chains attached to on the buffer beam, still be there or would they have been removed also?

ADK

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not had a great deal of modelling time recently but quite a bit seems to have been achieved. 

Firstly the end details, roof and roof fittings have been added to the horse box. It has had a good clean and is awaiting its turn in the paint shop. 

post-25942-0-39083600-1510071093_thumb.jpg

In the mean time I've been finishing off a little r-t-r detailing project. There's a chapter in the Wild Swan book 'The 4mm Coach' by Stephan Williams where the author takes a Bachmann Collett coach and takes it to impressive levels of detail. Inspired by this I thought I'd give it a go. I already had a couple of coaches kicking around, an All Third, a First/Third Comp and a Brake Comp. I've decided not to do too much work on the bodies as they are perfectly fine in my eyes. The only modifications being the replacement of the guard window grills and the addition of the suspended corridor connectors. Most of the work is on the under frame and involved cutting out all of the plastic parts and replacing it with brass angle and and cast/etched parts from MJT and Comet. 

This is where I'm at so far and once finished they'll join the paint shop queue.  

post-25942-0-06531800-1510071127_thumb.jpg 

Also took delivery of an Oxford Rail Dean Goods. I opted for the BR Black version*. On first impressions I was impressed by the loco but slightly let down by the level of detail on the tender. Plus there were a few quality control issues with regards to paint finish. I know the OxRail Dean has been subject to a lot of discussion on RMWeb but I feel Oxford have done a good job. Saying that I have made a few modifications. 

1) Got rid of all the splasher rivets

2) New chimney 

3) New smokebox door dart

4) Remove moulded cab side numbers

5) Repaint

*I prefer painting GWR locos with a black base coat. The BR version also came without numbers on the front buffer beam so it was only the tender crest that needed removing.

End result? 

post-25942-0-82783600-1510071101_thumb.jpg

Still need to decide on a number for it. 

With regards to the tender, when it came to fitting the fire irons I noticed the the support didn't line up with the fire iron tunnel. I think Oxford had fitted it the wrong way so that was pulled out and turned round and it all lined up. Not sure if anyone else has spotted this. 

post-25942-0-65580900-1510071111_thumb.jpg

That is all for now.

ADK

Edited by ADK92
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. 

The horse box has had the under frame and body painted. The body just needs painting brown and then lettering can begin.

post-25942-0-87703800-1511113736_thumb.jpg

Whilst I had the primer and black paint out I sprayed the under frames on the coaches I've been detailing. They've all been put back together and are awaiting some light weathering. 

Here's the brake comp. The pictures don't really do it justice.

post-25942-0-54686200-1511113710_thumb.jpg

post-25942-0-11328900-1511113720_thumb.jpg

Also the postman came with some etched plates and the DG finally has a number. Rather pleased with how it's turned out. 

post-25942-0-87654500-1511113728_thumb.jpg

I've also started on some bespoke buildings for my planned future layout of the Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway. The prototype I've chosen is Upton and Blewbury Station which is the first station visited on the run south from Didcot.

Anyway, more to come on that. 

ADK

• Like 7

Some really nice modelling there. If it's any consollation I've been building brass kits for a good few years now but I still make at least as much mess soldering on etched strapping as you have. Just means we have to spend a bit more time cleaing up aftterwards.

The Duke looks fantastic and having built a Finney Bulldog I know that they are quite complex kits.

I've managed to get some GWR brown on the horse box and I've also added glazing, applied transfers to one side and lightly weathered the under frame (not yet done the buffers). 

post-25942-0-85783000-1511381990_thumb.jpg

If anyone is interested my methods for painting are as follows:

1) I'll spray paint everything with etching primer.

2) I'll then spray paint everything with matt black. Recently I've preferred painting onto a black base colour as opposed to a lighter one. The Duke and DG in the first two photos on this thread have been done in this way. 

3) I'll then brush paint the main colour, making sure the paint is thinned down so as not to clog up the finer details. Normally two coats seems to be enough. 

4) Transfers applied and then everything gets a light brush of satin varnish. 

5) Weathering.

Here is a shot of the under frame, I must say I'm impressed with the level of detail this kit offers.

post-25942-0-65308600-1511381980_thumb.jpg

Lastly a shot of it with the 'Duke' next to a "still under construction" DNSR goods shed. 

post-25942-0-74966000-1511382000_thumb.jpg

ADK

• Like 6

A Day at the Races anyone? 

post-25942-0-95605200-1511694389_thumb.jpg

The above image just shows how small this N6 horse box really is. 

I'm really enjoying sharing my modelling adventures and appreciate all the feedback and advice. Whilst setting up the above shot I was sorting through my collection and thought I'd share some of my kit built GWR coaching stock. 

Slaters GWR C10. This was my first attempt at lining with a bow pen. At normal viewing distance I'm pleased with the results. Fair to say more practice is needed.

post-25942-0-92587400-1511694720.jpg

Slaters GWR C28. I love the Slaters carriage kits, they go together really well and make up into really nice models. Just a shame they are really difficult to get hold of. 

post-25942-0-45134300-1511694746.jpg

Blacksmith GWR A7.

post-25942-0-28328200-1511694729.jpg

Comet GWR C60/62.

post-25942-0-51298600-1511694738.jpg

ADK

Edited by ADK92
  • Like 9

Nice horse box train. I wonder how long those N6s lasted for.

The instructions say that some were withdrawn between 1927 - 1929 and some between 1932-1936. Number 600 was withdrawn in 1937. Number 603 was converted for tunnel inspection and lasted until 1961. Considering it was built 1889-1891 that's an impressive life span. 

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon was spent finishing a Cambrian GWR Sleeper wagon. The sleeper load was made up of some spare C&L sleepers and chairs (been experimenting with building my own track). I then set about making the shackles. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1416.jpg

They were then painted and fitted to the wagon.

attachicon.gifIMG_1417.jpg

Thats all for today

ADK

Impressive modelling. 

Could I ask you where you got your chains and shackles for the sleeper wagon? Are they from Ambis? What size chain did you use? 

Impressive modelling. 

Could I ask you where you got your chains and shackles for the sleeper wagon? Are they from Ambis? What size chain did you use?

Not sure what size the chain is, I acquired it from my dad who models in 7mm and said it was too small for him. As for the shackles and hooks, I got them from Roxey Mouldings.

ADK

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since I last updated so this might go on for a bit. I think it's just that time of year where there never seems to be enough hours in the day. I've tried to get some modelling done in between everything else that has been going on; Christmas shopping, works party, car MOT etc... 

Anyway, a few months back I decided to make a start on the buildings for my planned future layout of the DN&SR. I searched the internet to see if there were any kits available that suited my chosen prototype. Unfortunately none existed and the DN&SR has such a unique style of architecture that my hand was forced into scratch building if I wanted to replicate the line effectively. I've never done scratch building before and wasn't entirely sure where to start. 

Eventually I started by gathering as much information as possible about my chosen station. In this case Upton and Blewbury Station. Below are two images of Upton and Blewbury, photos are are from this website: http://www.uptonvillage.co.uk/photo-gallery/the-railway/

post-25942-0-48484300-1512923564_thumb.jpgpost-25942-0-58012300-1512923572_thumb.jpg

All the pictures I found of the station mainly focused on the part overlooking the platform. I couldn't find any of the front of the station overlooking the forecourt. Now I know Upton station is still standing, currently as a private home, but has had a few extensions put on over the years and it's a bit difficult to tell what was original. 

I eventually acquired the book 'The DN&SR by Paul Karau, Mike Parsons and Kevin Roberston'. In the back of the book there are lot of drawings in 2mm:1ft scale of a few different buildings along the the line. The one that jumped out at me was on page 214. It's a drawing of Compton station, the next station along the line from Upton. Comparing pictures of Upton and the drawings of Compton I came to the conclusion that Compton was pretty much a mirror image of Upton. I scanned the image into the computer, flipped it and blew it up to 4mm:1ft scale and printed it off. I now had a set of drawings to hopefully get the dimensions right and by studying the pictures above and comparing them with the drawings I should get a fairly decent model of Upton Station. Although I did accept that I might have to make one or two compromises. 

I decided to purchase the Wills CK16 Country Station kit as a starting point. This is a craftsman kit and so comes with flat sheets of embossed brick that you have to mark up, cut and shape yourself. It also came with lots of drainpipes, window frames, platform components, etc... I

So here are the results: 

post-25942-0-07448000-1512923594_thumb.jpgpost-25942-0-06300600-1512923605_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how it's turned out. As I didn't use all the parts that came with the Wills kit I had enough left over to tackle the Uptons Goods Shed and Cattle Dock. 

post-25942-0-22447700-1512923614_thumb.jpg

post-25942-0-40801600-1512923622_thumb.jpg

Also in the post the other day I got some GWR brass signs. Just trying to figure out how to paint them. I know they should have a black base with white text. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

post-25942-0-99599800-1512923584_thumb.jpg

ADK

• Like 4