Long Walk Home

KNP

I'm just stunned yet again. A brilliantly atmospheric photograph.

Kevin you are not supposed to post real photographs.

HaHa....OK I will do next time!!!!!

Thanks but really it was quite simple to do, took about 30 photos before I got the angles and shadows right.

Set up was just a small LED torch on a box aimed towards the camera, with a tissue draped over the front to give the uneven background shadow, camera on a small tripod, set to aperture to give me F8, ISO fixed at 125, 2 sec timer, click and left it to own devices to take the picture - I would say that was about 20sec.

Then cropped to give this view.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah! The resounding thump of one's jaw hitting the floor once again......

Simply(and therein lies a contradiction!) stunning.

Rob.

Just a quiet day on the CBC case but did spot some wildlife whilst out for my walk.

Good to see the red squirrel is alive and well in these areas.

Pesky pigeons making a mess on the van roof!

And do my eyes deceive me or is that a fox running along side of the cornfield......

post-8925-0-56052600-1512037577_thumb.png

Please ignore the change in the backscene colour, down to me not moving the board far enough over.

Amazing what you don't see when taking a picture....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

CBC parked for a while whilst I got on with other things on the main layout but I was pointed in the direction of programme that could turn pictures into painting styles of well known artists called Dynamic Auto-Painter so me being me thought I would have a go and these three are my favourites......

So I thought I would post them to see what you lot think!

post-8925-0-05836400-1513537874_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-73215200-1513537884_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-18269900-1513537897_thumb.jpg

Middle one looks the best to me but.....jury still out on these!

Thinking about starting a second CBC.....?

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Long Walk Home is all but finished which is why it has gone quiet.

Before I take the finalised pictures to be submitted here is a quick one I did this afternoon to catch the setting sun.

post-8925-0-06988100-1514992500_thumb.jpg

and for those of you interested here is how it was set up

post-8925-0-37036400-1514992518_thumb.jpg

As I was not to concerned about depth of field, Post Focus was not used instead the camera was on aperture priority set at F8, standard focus, no flash, 2 sec timer and central focal point.

The picture was then cropped and rotated to square up, by tilting the model I got the natural light to appear to be coming along the lane.

Quite soon, a second CBC will be entered and here is the basic design gluing....... 

post-8925-0-39816800-1514993038_thumb.jpg

It's name - Cold!

• Like 8

Exceptional modelling!  Cant wait to see the "Cold" one!

Many thanks.

That'll make two of us, though I have an idea in my mind of what the final design will look like, I expect it will evolve as work progresses!!!!!

It was how LWH evolved, initial sketch - no gate, no cornfield, no fence and only two trees.

The beauty of freelance.....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Came across this picture that I forgot to post with the previous one so here it is.....!!!!

post-8925-0-80375200-1515612659_thumb.jpg

Only editing was cropping and black plinth extended.

Shadows done using the real sun shining through the Dining Room window and model moved to give them the depth seen.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13

Nor had I until I saw County Gate by John de Frayssinet at an exhibition and his excellent use of scenery which contained a model railway layout.

Using his website on the layout and then the book, Scenic Modelling, that came out later I was away with altering the way I represented trees.

Tweaking it slightly to suit my needs I was able to produce this effect

attachicon.gif444.JPG

attachicon.gif933.jpg

attachicon.gif548.JPG

Before then I had been using Seamoss but this changed to the sagebrush type, which I call my prime trees, which stand in prime locations or in front of the Seamoss ones.

What I like about them is that you can see through them along with a very realistic bark effect

Time consuming - yes each tree can take between 4 -6 hours to build depending on size but the end result is well worth the effort.

This tree technique is excellent. I had seen Luke Towan’s YouTube video and also read about using sage bush and sea foam. I’m experimenting with splicing suitable dried twig cuttings, from my own garden, and fixing a few together with wire & superglue, then attaching very thin layers of green polyster fibre to form a canopy for the final scatter material - a mixture of finely ground foam and commercial leaf scatter. I keep looking at trees when I’m out and about and realising how unobservant I am most of the time!

Marlyn

After the success of, what I know in X7 as, the 'Cut Out Studio' which I used in Cold! I thought I would give it a go on LWH.

Here are the first results.....

post-8925-0-26824900-1516371120_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-64923100-1516371131_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-54980800-1516371143_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-01272300-1516371156_thumb.jpg

Trouble is, you can't see Duncan but I can assure you is still there.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16

The next step after the 'cut out' is to add a natural sky background :)

Agree.

But there is something simple and focusing with just a plain white background, it makes the model 'pop' out of the page.